Jose Canseco Wants A Comeback: "I Would have Led MLB In Home Runs By Now"
By Anthony Riccobono | April 17, 2012 6:18 AM EST
It's been more than a decade since the Godfather of Steroids played in a Major League Baseball game, but Jose Canseco still thinks he has something left.
The former star has sent out several tweets indicating that he'd like to make a return to the majors. "Just a reminder to all mlb teams. I am still available and staying in shape," tweeted Canseco." "I see some teams are lacking offense."
Canseco doesn't think he can be a merely a contributor on a major league team. He still believes he can be one of the best players in the game.
"I would have led MLB in homeruns by now. Ballparks are getting smaller. I would just crowd [the] plate and dare them to pitch me in."
Canseco last played in 2001. In 76 games with the White Sox, he hit 16 home runs and drove in 49 RBIs.
At 47 years old, Canseco would be the second-oldest player in the game. Pitcher Jamie Moyer currently holds that claim at 49 years of age.
Canseco has been out of the game for 11 years, but not by his choosing. The former outfielder says he has been blackballed from baseball because of his role in the steroid era. "My life was completely ruined by Major League Baseball," he once said. "I was the only [one] who paid the ultimate price with my career."
Canseco is an admitted past steroid user, and exposed numerous players for using performance-enhancing drugs. Before he wrote his tell-all book "Juiced," Canseco was one of the league's best players while in his prime. He became the first player to ever have 40 home runs and 40 steals in one season. Canseco finished his career with 462 homers.
He's hasn't put on an MLB uniform since 2001, but Canseco has played baseball elsewhere. He played for the independent Golden Baseball League in 2006. He even tried to play in Mexico this year, but Mexican officials banned him for reportedly using a banned substance.
After writing "Juiced," Canseco appeared on several reality TV shows. He was on Season 5 of "The Surreal Life" and "The Celebrity Apprentice" in 2011.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- Manny Pacquiao KO Of Chris Algieri Will ‘Shut Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr. Declares Freddie Roach
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery