Yaz Birth Control Pills Hit with Blood Clot Warning Label: 3 Things to Know
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | April 12, 2012 6:37 AM EST
Yaz and other new birth control brands will be printed with blood clot risk warning labels, the U.S Food and Drug Administration announced on Tuesday.
Recent studies have found that Drospirenone-containing birth control pills have a higher risk of causing blood clots than other pills, which contain progestin.
5 Things to Know About the Risk:
Risk Level: While the risk of blood clots is higher on drospirenon based tablets, the overall risk is still low. The FDA put the risk into perspective: "The risk of blood clots is higher when using any birth control pills than not using them, but still remains lower than the risk of developing blood clots in pregnancy and in the postpartum period...For example: If 10,000 women who are not pregnant and do not use birth control pills are followed for one year, between 1 and 5 of these women will develop a blood clot."
Brands: Popular modern birth control brands such as Beyaz, Yasmin and Yaz will all be updated with the warning labels, but the FDA says women should continue to take the pills as usual.
Blood Clot Symptoms: The FDA advises women to educate themselves about blood clot symptoms, which range from leg pain to shortness of breath. If women experience any of the symptoms related to blood clots they are advised to consulate a doctor.
"The controversial issue of potentially higher clotting risk with drospirenone-containing products has been swirling for some time," David Calabrese, chief pharmacy officer, SXC Health Solutions told ModernMedicine.com.
"While it is well-justified for FDA to now issue product labeling changes based upon review of this more recent epidemiological data, it should also be noted that general risk of clotting still remains relatively low with all oral contraceptives, and epidemiological evidence can be muddled by a wide array of confounding factors. Nonetheless, providers should take heed in closely monitoring and evaluating these data and labeling changes for themselves and openly discussing the risks and benefits of various oral contraceptive options with their patients."
The FDA advisory board voted 21-5 in favor of the new labels for modern contraceptive brands. These types of birth control pills have won popularity for having fewer side effects such as weight gain and mood swings, which have been attributed to some older birth control brands.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Airborne Version of Ebola Virus Could Wipe Out 1.2 Million; Aussie Doctor Appeals For Help
- Justin Bieber Strips for Fashion Week, Flashes Six Pack Abs: His Diet and Workout Secrets
- Kim Kardashian's Pregnancy Glow Returns; Rumour Mill Suggests That Kim Is Pregnant
- Research Finds African Americans and Caribbean Blacks Experiencing Discrimination are at a Greater Risk for Mental Disorders
- Joan Rivers May Have Died From Propofol Like Michael Jackson
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet