Plane Spotting on St. Maarten’s Maho Beach Turns Ugly: ‘Girl Blown By A Plane’ [VIDEO]
By M. Johanson | April 12, 2012 12:57 AM EST
A girl who was plane spotting at Maho Beach on the Caribbean Island of St. Maarten was blown away by a jet blast when she stood dangerously close to the runway. The entire episode was captured on a now-viral YouTube video that acts as a harsh reminder that tourists should heed local warnings.
St Maarten's Maho Bay beach sits right at the end of the main runway of Princess Juliana International Airport on the Dutch side of the island. Though it boasts dazzling turquoise waters and great snorkeling opportunities, the beach is most famous as one of the only places in the world where aircraft can be viewed in their flight path just outside the end of the runway.
Arriving aircraft must touch down as close as possible to the beginning of Runway 10 due to its short runway length of just 2,180 meters (7,152 feet). As such, planes must approach at minimal altitude just over the beach. Daily arrivals and departures are displayed on boards at most bars and restaurants on the beach and one, the Sunset Beach Bar and Grill, even broadcasts the radio transmissions between pilots and the airport's control tower.
Despite the reputed difficulties in approaching the runway, there have been no records of major incidents at the airport.
Just outside the airport gate, however, there is a danger of people standing on the edge of the beach being blown away.
A sign warns: "Jet blast of departing and arriving aircraft can cause severe physical harm resulting in extreme bodily harm and/or death."
That, however, didn't stop thrill-seeking tourists from standing by the gate and hanging onto the fence to endure hurricane-force winds.
The St. Maarten Island Time reports that the two French tourists seen in the viral video were injured last Wednesday by the jet blast of the JetBlue aircraft. The male reportedly suffered a broken leg, while the young female suffered a deep gash to her head. Both were taken to a local hospital.
Have a look:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- MH17: Pro-Russian Rebel Confesses Firing on Plane by Mistake
- What May Have Happened to Malaysia Airlines MH17: 5 Strangest Conspiracy Theories; Crash Victim Had Frightening ‘Premonition’
- Another Missing Jet: Air Algeria Disappears With 116 on Board
- Refloated Italy Cruise Ship Costa Concordia Embarks Final Voyage, Bids Port of Giglio for the Very Last Time (PHOTOS)
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Russians Feel Glut Over Steady Diet of Conspiracy Theories on Downed Jet
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales