NAB Cuts Australia's Growth Forecast to 2.9%
By Vittorio Hernandez | April 11, 2012 8:20 AM EST
The bank cited the China economic slowdown, weather disruptions and mining work stoppages as the main reasons behind the weaker growth outlook. NAB economists added that persistent weakness in sectors outside mining negates the small growth expected to be registered in the broader business sector.
NAB also hiked its unemployment rate forecast to 5.4 per cent from previous outlook of 5.3 per cent. However, the bank said 2013 would be a better year with the country's gross domestic product likely to expand by 3.7 per cent.
Although NAB's monthly business survey also found that business confidence and conditions slightly improved in March based on feedback from 400 companies, the recovery was from a very low base.
It explained the two- to three-point gain in business confidence to improvements in the U.S. and European economies as well as the effect of a lower Australian dollar which boosted export income.
As expected, mining registered the highest reading with an index of +36 points, followed by transport and utilities with +28. On the extreme end were retail with -15 and construction -6.
In another paper, NAB warned of the continuous decline of the construction sector despite a report by the Australian Industry Group and the Housing Industry Association that the construction index registered a 0.6 point growth to 36.2 points in March. NAB pointed out that the index remains below the 50-point benchmark that demarcates expansion and contraction.
It is for the 22nd straight month that the construction industry has been contracting, with the residential and commercial construction subsectors the hardest hit due to low demand and weak conditions to cause the house building index to plummet to 30.3 which is the lowest level in half a year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How