IPhone 5 Release Date: ‘It Will Be Around October,’ Foxconn Worker Says [REPORT]
By Lisa Eadicicco | April 9, 2012 11:54 PM EST
Apple is preparing to release its next generation iPhone, and rumors have haven circulating about when the new device will be released. Recent speculations have pointed to a summer launch, after a Foxconn employee told a Tokyo TV station that the phone will be unveiled in June. However, a South Korean newspaper says that the sixth-generation iPhone will hit stores near October.
"We just got the order. It [the release] will be around October," the newspaper reported.
Apple has yet to officially confirm when the smartphone will be released, and indications point to either a summer or fall launch. Excitement sparked when Foxconn hired over 200,000 workers, presumably to speed up production for the iPhone 5, leading fans to believe that the gadget will hit the market soon. On March 30th the iPhone 5 News Blog reported that the smartphone could be launched on June 15, the last day of Apple's traditional WWDC developers expo.
However, the Cupertino-based company did release the iPhone 4S last October, so it's possible that the iPhone 5 will be released a full year later. This also eliminates the issue of carrier contracts, which would conflict with 4S owners if the iPhone 5 was released in June. Those with Apple's most recent smartphone may not be eligible for an upgrade if the iPhone 5 was to be released in June, since most carrier contracts require at least a year before expiration.
But production on the next iPhone has been underway, with Texas Instruments producing power chips for the device. Other production rumors include that the phone will feature a 4.6-inch screen, as reported on March 21st. But two days later, a conflicting report said that the device will retain its current 3.5-inch screen.
The iPhone 5 is also said to include 4G LTE service, which Apple introduced with its new iPad, providing a "practice run" for future devices.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Wants To Have A Big Family With ‘Five Children’ At Anmer Hall Residence- Reports
- ISIS European Teen Jihadists Allegedly Pregnant; New Zealand Silent On Kiwi Jihadist's Request To Return Home
- New Zealand Scientists Dissect Well-Preserved Female Colossal Squid [VIDEO]
- ISIS Murder Videos 'Turning On' Foreign Jihadists To Fight US and Britain [VIDEO]
- 24-year-old Playboy Model Marries 81-year-old Construction Tycoon Richard Lugner
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet