IPhone 5 Release Date: ‘It Will Be Around October,’ Foxconn Worker Says [REPORT]
By Lisa Eadicicco | April 9, 2012 11:54 PM EST
Apple is preparing to release its next generation iPhone, and rumors have haven circulating about when the new device will be released. Recent speculations have pointed to a summer launch, after a Foxconn employee told a Tokyo TV station that the phone will be unveiled in June. However, a South Korean newspaper says that the sixth-generation iPhone will hit stores near October.
"We just got the order. It [the release] will be around October," the newspaper reported.
Apple has yet to officially confirm when the smartphone will be released, and indications point to either a summer or fall launch. Excitement sparked when Foxconn hired over 200,000 workers, presumably to speed up production for the iPhone 5, leading fans to believe that the gadget will hit the market soon. On March 30th the iPhone 5 News Blog reported that the smartphone could be launched on June 15, the last day of Apple's traditional WWDC developers expo.
However, the Cupertino-based company did release the iPhone 4S last October, so it's possible that the iPhone 5 will be released a full year later. This also eliminates the issue of carrier contracts, which would conflict with 4S owners if the iPhone 5 was released in June. Those with Apple's most recent smartphone may not be eligible for an upgrade if the iPhone 5 was to be released in June, since most carrier contracts require at least a year before expiration.
But production on the next iPhone has been underway, with Texas Instruments producing power chips for the device. Other production rumors include that the phone will feature a 4.6-inch screen, as reported on March 21st. But two days later, a conflicting report said that the device will retain its current 3.5-inch screen.
The iPhone 5 is also said to include 4G LTE service, which Apple introduced with its new iPad, providing a "practice run" for future devices.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Image Of An Alien Revealed By US Intelligence Agent Suggests Existence Of Extraterrestrial Life -- Report
- US Police Release Video Of Officers Shooting 12-Year-Old Tamir Rice
- US Toddler, 3, Shoots Mother To Death With 9mm Handgun
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- NSW Girl, 12, Takes Wheel of Mazda MX5 & Saves Lives After Father Suffers Heart Attack
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid