IPhone 5 Release Date: ‘It Will Be Around October,’ Foxconn Worker Says [REPORT]
By Lisa Eadicicco | April 9, 2012 11:54 PM EST
Apple is preparing to release its next generation iPhone, and rumors have haven circulating about when the new device will be released. Recent speculations have pointed to a summer launch, after a Foxconn employee told a Tokyo TV station that the phone will be unveiled in June. However, a South Korean newspaper says that the sixth-generation iPhone will hit stores near October.
"We just got the order. It [the release] will be around October," the newspaper reported.
Apple has yet to officially confirm when the smartphone will be released, and indications point to either a summer or fall launch. Excitement sparked when Foxconn hired over 200,000 workers, presumably to speed up production for the iPhone 5, leading fans to believe that the gadget will hit the market soon. On March 30th the iPhone 5 News Blog reported that the smartphone could be launched on June 15, the last day of Apple's traditional WWDC developers expo.
However, the Cupertino-based company did release the iPhone 4S last October, so it's possible that the iPhone 5 will be released a full year later. This also eliminates the issue of carrier contracts, which would conflict with 4S owners if the iPhone 5 was released in June. Those with Apple's most recent smartphone may not be eligible for an upgrade if the iPhone 5 was to be released in June, since most carrier contracts require at least a year before expiration.
But production on the next iPhone has been underway, with Texas Instruments producing power chips for the device. Other production rumors include that the phone will feature a 4.6-inch screen, as reported on March 21st. But two days later, a conflicting report said that the device will retain its current 3.5-inch screen.
The iPhone 5 is also said to include 4G LTE service, which Apple introduced with its new iPad, providing a "practice run" for future devices.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where and How to Best View Delta Aquarids Meteor Shower Peak on July 28 and 29
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- iPhone 6 releasing Soon, Use Old Smartphones to Save Rainforest
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June