Car Bomb At Nigeria Church Kills 38 On Easter
By Geetha Pillai | April 8, 2012 11:11 PM EST
A car bomb exploded outside a church in Nigeria during Easter services Sunday, killing 38 people, authorities said.
A Kaduna state emergency management official, Abubakar Zakari Adamu, toldNigeria-car-bombing/Article1-837478.aspx" rel="nofollow" target="_blank"> the Associated Press the figure includes a canvassing of hospitals in Kaduna, a major city on the frontier between Nigeria's Muslim north and Christian south.
The blast in the mixed Muslim-Christian region went off near a church during Easter Sunday services. Witnesses told Agence France- Presse a car bomb exploded outside the church.
Nigerian authorities confirmed the attack but did not give out any details. Most of the victims were believed to be motorcycle taxi drivers and beggars outside the church.
“We have a bomb explosion. We are trying to sort things out," police spokesman Aminu Lawal told AFP.
The injured were taken to the hospitals.
The blast left charred motorcycles and debris strewed across a major road in the city where many gather to eat at informal restaurants, the Associated Press reported. The explosion injured many others, some critically, meaning the toll of the attack could rise, said Yushau Shuaib, a spokesman for Nigeria's National Emergency Management Agency.
No one has claimed responsibility for the attack, but the Islamic extremist group Boko Haram, which has been terrorizing the country, is suspected.
According to a BBC report, Boko Haram had threatened attacks in the area over the Easter holiday.
On Christmas, a series of attacks carried out by Boko Haram targeted churches and other locations. At least 44 people were killed in a church outside the capital, Abuja.
Bombings of U.N. headquarters in Abuja on August killing 25 people, and series of bombings in Kano that left 185 people dead on Jan. 20 were also claimed by Boko Haram.
More than 1,000 people have lost their lives since mid-2009 in the violent insurgency.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy:Camilla And Princess Eugenie Jealous, Duchess Reportedly Only Good At Making Babies
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Wants To Have A Big Family With ‘Five Children’ At Anmer Hall Residence- Reports
- ISIS European Teen Jihadists Allegedly Pregnant; New Zealand Silent On Kiwi Jihadist's Request To Return Home
- New Zealand Scientists Dissect Well-Preserved Female Colossal Squid [VIDEO]
- This Model Thinks She Is A Bombshell After Plastic Surgery Costing £30,000 Makes Her Look Like A Sex Toy
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone