Car Bomb At Nigeria Church Kills 38 On Easter
By Geetha Pillai | April 8, 2012 11:11 PM EST
A car bomb exploded outside a church in Nigeria during Easter services Sunday, killing 38 people, authorities said.
A Kaduna state emergency management official, Abubakar Zakari Adamu, toldNigeria-car-bombing/Article1-837478.aspx" rel="nofollow" target="_blank"> the Associated Press the figure includes a canvassing of hospitals in Kaduna, a major city on the frontier between Nigeria's Muslim north and Christian south.
The blast in the mixed Muslim-Christian region went off near a church during Easter Sunday services. Witnesses told Agence France- Presse a car bomb exploded outside the church.
Nigerian authorities confirmed the attack but did not give out any details. Most of the victims were believed to be motorcycle taxi drivers and beggars outside the church.
“We have a bomb explosion. We are trying to sort things out," police spokesman Aminu Lawal told AFP.
The injured were taken to the hospitals.
The blast left charred motorcycles and debris strewed across a major road in the city where many gather to eat at informal restaurants, the Associated Press reported. The explosion injured many others, some critically, meaning the toll of the attack could rise, said Yushau Shuaib, a spokesman for Nigeria's National Emergency Management Agency.
No one has claimed responsibility for the attack, but the Islamic extremist group Boko Haram, which has been terrorizing the country, is suspected.
According to a BBC report, Boko Haram had threatened attacks in the area over the Easter holiday.
On Christmas, a series of attacks carried out by Boko Haram targeted churches and other locations. At least 44 people were killed in a church outside the capital, Abuja.
Bombings of U.N. headquarters in Abuja on August killing 25 people, and series of bombings in Kano that left 185 people dead on Jan. 20 were also claimed by Boko Haram.
More than 1,000 people have lost their lives since mid-2009 in the violent insurgency.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Surge in UFO Sightings in Queensland Observed; Gold Coast 'Hot Spot' of UFO Encounters
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- ISIS Beheading Video of Steven Sotloff Sparks Outrage; Family Believes Footage is 'Authentic'
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display