Car Bomb At Nigeria Church Kills 38 On Easter
By Geetha Pillai | April 8, 2012 11:11 PM EST
A car bomb exploded outside a church in Nigeria during Easter services Sunday, killing 38 people, authorities said.
A Kaduna state emergency management official, Abubakar Zakari Adamu, toldNigeria-car-bombing/Article1-837478.aspx" rel="nofollow" target="_blank"> the Associated Press the figure includes a canvassing of hospitals in Kaduna, a major city on the frontier between Nigeria's Muslim north and Christian south.
The blast in the mixed Muslim-Christian region went off near a church during Easter Sunday services. Witnesses told Agence France- Presse a car bomb exploded outside the church.
Nigerian authorities confirmed the attack but did not give out any details. Most of the victims were believed to be motorcycle taxi drivers and beggars outside the church.
“We have a bomb explosion. We are trying to sort things out," police spokesman Aminu Lawal told AFP.
The injured were taken to the hospitals.
The blast left charred motorcycles and debris strewed across a major road in the city where many gather to eat at informal restaurants, the Associated Press reported. The explosion injured many others, some critically, meaning the toll of the attack could rise, said Yushau Shuaib, a spokesman for Nigeria's National Emergency Management Agency.
No one has claimed responsibility for the attack, but the Islamic extremist group Boko Haram, which has been terrorizing the country, is suspected.
According to a BBC report, Boko Haram had threatened attacks in the area over the Easter holiday.
On Christmas, a series of attacks carried out by Boko Haram targeted churches and other locations. At least 44 people were killed in a church outside the capital, Abuja.
Bombings of U.N. headquarters in Abuja on August killing 25 people, and series of bombings in Kano that left 185 people dead on Jan. 20 were also claimed by Boko Haram.
More than 1,000 people have lost their lives since mid-2009 in the violent insurgency.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Risky Selfies That Were Taken A Few Seconds Before Tragedy Struck
- ISIS Update: Executioner of James Foley with British Accent Identified as ‘John’
- Viral Video Missouri Mall: Back-To-School Promo Of East Hills Mall In Missouri Goes Viral As Terrible Mall Ad [WATCH VIDEO]
- New Zealand Accelerates Ban on Shark Finning
- Woman Posts Ad for Herself As 'Professional Bridesmaid' On Craigslist
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence