New iPad A5X Chip Versus Nvidia Tegra 3: Which is Better in Performance and Graphics?
By Surojit Chatterjee | March 31, 2012 2:07 AM EST
The new iPad's A5X chip is the most powerful yet. Apple claimed that the chip offers four times the performance of the Nvidia Tegra 3. Is that true?
The first test is the Egypt Standard Test, showing a 3D animation of ancient Egypt. The new iPad runs at 60 frames-per-second and processed 6178 frames, while the Transformer Prime ran at 53 FPS and processed 5939 frames. The iPad was better.
In GLBenchmark once again, the new iPad processed roughly double the amount of frames at a rate of 57 FPS versus the Prime's 27 FPS.
When LAPTOP Magazine measured raw processing performance, the Transformer Prime firmly came out on top. "Tegra 3 blew its competitor [a]way as it achieved an overall score of 1,571 to the A5X's 692," they reported.
LAPTOP Magazine also said that the better performance may not be because of the A5X chip.
Comparing game performance in real time between the two tablets, LAPTOP Magazine said that images were sharper due to the new iPad's retina display (2048 x 1536 pixels). The Transformer Prime has a 1280 x 800 pixels display. The write-up also reported that some graphical features were missing on the iPad.
"In Riptide, we noticed more reflections in the water and a splashing effect that made it look like water was hitting the screen when our ski landed from a jump. On the iPad, we just saw a little foam appearing on landing," they said.
Third-person shooter Shadowgun was played on both the tablets, with the Prime showing more visual effects again. Flags in the Prime's version were blowing in the wind, while the iPad version didn't have them.
"However, comparing tablet-to-tablet rather than chip-to-chip, the iPad's screen makes the gaming experience a much tastier visual feast than you get on the Transformer Prime," LAPTOP Magazine concluded. They added that Android tablets with higher resolutions screens are needed, such as the upcoming Transformer Prime TF701 which has a 1920 x 1200 resolution, to compete with the new iPad.
(reported by Jonathan Charles, edited by Surojit Chatterjee)
MUST READ - Angry Birds Space: Worth Downloading?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Android L Rollout Prediction: Nexus 4, Moto X, HTC One, Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy S4, LG G2
- ‘World Of Warcraft Warlords Of Draenor' Patch 6.0.1 Beta Notes Update For The Classes Including Druid, Rogue And Priest [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘GTA 5 Online’ Weekend Event For San Andreas Flight School Update And A Deals With Gold Offer
- 'Assassin's Creed' Update: 'Unity' And 'Rogue' Not A Multiplayer Player Game, Ubisoft Confirms
- Samsung Galaxy S4 vs. HTC One M8 Specs And Price Comparison In Australia
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 LTE Android 4.4.2, Android 4.4.4Guide: Installation and When to Hit Your Region
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch