New iPad A5X Chip Versus Nvidia Tegra 3: Which is Better in Performance and Graphics?
By Surojit Chatterjee | March 31, 2012 2:07 AM EST
The new iPad's A5X chip is the most powerful yet. Apple claimed that the chip offers four times the performance of the Nvidia Tegra 3. Is that true?
The first test is the Egypt Standard Test, showing a 3D animation of ancient Egypt. The new iPad runs at 60 frames-per-second and processed 6178 frames, while the Transformer Prime ran at 53 FPS and processed 5939 frames. The iPad was better.
In GLBenchmark once again, the new iPad processed roughly double the amount of frames at a rate of 57 FPS versus the Prime's 27 FPS.
When LAPTOP Magazine measured raw processing performance, the Transformer Prime firmly came out on top. "Tegra 3 blew its competitor [a]way as it achieved an overall score of 1,571 to the A5X's 692," they reported.
LAPTOP Magazine also said that the better performance may not be because of the A5X chip.
Comparing game performance in real time between the two tablets, LAPTOP Magazine said that images were sharper due to the new iPad's retina display (2048 x 1536 pixels). The Transformer Prime has a 1280 x 800 pixels display. The write-up also reported that some graphical features were missing on the iPad.
"In Riptide, we noticed more reflections in the water and a splashing effect that made it look like water was hitting the screen when our ski landed from a jump. On the iPad, we just saw a little foam appearing on landing," they said.
Third-person shooter Shadowgun was played on both the tablets, with the Prime showing more visual effects again. Flags in the Prime's version were blowing in the wind, while the iPad version didn't have them.
"However, comparing tablet-to-tablet rather than chip-to-chip, the iPad's screen makes the gaming experience a much tastier visual feast than you get on the Transformer Prime," LAPTOP Magazine concluded. They added that Android tablets with higher resolutions screens are needed, such as the upcoming Transformer Prime TF701 which has a 1920 x 1200 resolution, to compete with the new iPad.
(reported by Jonathan Charles, edited by Surojit Chatterjee)
MUST READ - Angry Birds Space: Worth Downloading?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'Destiny' Third Subclass Weapon Upgrades: Super And Grenade Modifications Leaked [Video]
- 'The Sims 4' Official Mac Release: More Features Aside From Pools Expected To Be Included
- Motorola Nexus 6 vs. Sony Xperia Z3: Features On New Nexus To Match Latest Sony Phone
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 64-Bit Octa-Core CPU Expected On Samsung Galaxy S6 And Sony Xperia Z4
- Motorola Nexus 6 v HTC One M8, One M7: Reasons How New Nexus Can Match HTC Flagship Phones
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report