New iPad A5X Chip Versus Nvidia Tegra 3: Which is Better in Performance and Graphics?
By Surojit Chatterjee | March 31, 2012 2:07 AM EST
The new iPad's A5X chip is the most powerful yet. Apple claimed that the chip offers four times the performance of the Nvidia Tegra 3. Is that true?
The first test is the Egypt Standard Test, showing a 3D animation of ancient Egypt. The new iPad runs at 60 frames-per-second and processed 6178 frames, while the Transformer Prime ran at 53 FPS and processed 5939 frames. The iPad was better.
In GLBenchmark once again, the new iPad processed roughly double the amount of frames at a rate of 57 FPS versus the Prime's 27 FPS.
When LAPTOP Magazine measured raw processing performance, the Transformer Prime firmly came out on top. "Tegra 3 blew its competitor [a]way as it achieved an overall score of 1,571 to the A5X's 692," they reported.
LAPTOP Magazine also said that the better performance may not be because of the A5X chip.
Comparing game performance in real time between the two tablets, LAPTOP Magazine said that images were sharper due to the new iPad's retina display (2048 x 1536 pixels). The Transformer Prime has a 1280 x 800 pixels display. The write-up also reported that some graphical features were missing on the iPad.
"In Riptide, we noticed more reflections in the water and a splashing effect that made it look like water was hitting the screen when our ski landed from a jump. On the iPad, we just saw a little foam appearing on landing," they said.
Third-person shooter Shadowgun was played on both the tablets, with the Prime showing more visual effects again. Flags in the Prime's version were blowing in the wind, while the iPad version didn't have them.
"However, comparing tablet-to-tablet rather than chip-to-chip, the iPad's screen makes the gaming experience a much tastier visual feast than you get on the Transformer Prime," LAPTOP Magazine concluded. They added that Android tablets with higher resolutions screens are needed, such as the upcoming Transformer Prime TF701 which has a 1920 x 1200 resolution, to compete with the new iPad.
(reported by Jonathan Charles, edited by Surojit Chatterjee)
MUST READ - Angry Birds Space: Worth Downloading?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Android 4.4.3 and 4.4.4 KitKat Still Delayed for Samsung Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy S4 and Galaxy Note 3
- GTA V Online: Money-Glitch Ban Goes After Cheaters as a New Zombie DLC Leak is Spotted
- PS4 News: 2 Possible Sets of PS Plus Games for August 2014 Leaked and Additional Features for PS4
- HTC One Mini 2 vs. LG G2 Specs and Price Comparison in Australia
- Sony Xperia Z2 Tablet 17.1.2.A.0.314 Firmware Update to Improve Touch Screen and Charging Speed
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install