Bank's Miles says no need for interest rate hike yet
July 1, 2010 8:28 PM EST
UK inflation is "uncomfortably" high, but there is no need for an immediate hike in interest rates, Bank of England policymaker David Miles said.
"My own judgement is that we haven't yet got to the point at which a tightening in monetary policy is the right thing to do," Miles told the Daily Mail newspaper.
Miles said inflation had been particularly volatile over the last year, but the latest data suggested inflation was heading back towards the 2 percent target level.
"We were pretty substantially under the target level. We are uncomfortably above the target level now."
"The latest inflation data suggests we are slightly moving back towards the target level," he said.
Interest rates have remained at a record low of 0.5 percent since March last year, but inflation hit a 17-month high of 3.7 percent in April, contrasting with a downward trend in the U.S. and the euro zone.
Fellow Bank policymaker Andrew Sentance unexpectedly voted for a rise in interest rates last month, but Adam Posen said in a speech on Wednesday there was too big a risk the UK would return to recession for rate rises to be appropriate now.
Miles said he was more optimistic than a few months ago but warned a setback in the euro zone could still harm Britain's recovery.
"Banks throughout Europe are finding it more difficult than they might have hoped a few months ago to raise funding and they are being pushed towards shorter maturity funding -- all of which is worrisome."
"These remain real concerns and the UK -- being a very open economy, having a large banking sector -- can't isolate itself from the risks here."
(Reporting by Caroline Copley; Editing by )
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- China Crackdown Against Christianity: Removes Church Cross, Cites Building Code Violation
- Australia’s Richest People Under 30 in 2014
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date