Bank's Miles says no need for interest rate hike yet
July 1, 2010 8:28 PM EST
UK inflation is "uncomfortably" high, but there is no need for an immediate hike in interest rates, Bank of England policymaker David Miles said.
"My own judgement is that we haven't yet got to the point at which a tightening in monetary policy is the right thing to do," Miles told the Daily Mail newspaper.
Miles said inflation had been particularly volatile over the last year, but the latest data suggested inflation was heading back towards the 2 percent target level.
"We were pretty substantially under the target level. We are uncomfortably above the target level now."
"The latest inflation data suggests we are slightly moving back towards the target level," he said.
Interest rates have remained at a record low of 0.5 percent since March last year, but inflation hit a 17-month high of 3.7 percent in April, contrasting with a downward trend in the U.S. and the euro zone.
Fellow Bank policymaker Andrew Sentance unexpectedly voted for a rise in interest rates last month, but Adam Posen said in a speech on Wednesday there was too big a risk the UK would return to recession for rate rises to be appropriate now.
Miles said he was more optimistic than a few months ago but warned a setback in the euro zone could still harm Britain's recovery.
"Banks throughout Europe are finding it more difficult than they might have hoped a few months ago to raise funding and they are being pushed towards shorter maturity funding -- all of which is worrisome."
"These remain real concerns and the UK -- being a very open economy, having a large banking sector -- can't isolate itself from the risks here."
(Reporting by Caroline Copley; Editing by )
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate