Bank's Miles says no need for interest rate hike yet
July 1, 2010 8:28 PM EST
UK inflation is "uncomfortably" high, but there is no need for an immediate hike in interest rates, Bank of England policymaker David Miles said.
"My own judgement is that we haven't yet got to the point at which a tightening in monetary policy is the right thing to do," Miles told the Daily Mail newspaper.
Miles said inflation had been particularly volatile over the last year, but the latest data suggested inflation was heading back towards the 2 percent target level.
"We were pretty substantially under the target level. We are uncomfortably above the target level now."
"The latest inflation data suggests we are slightly moving back towards the target level," he said.
Interest rates have remained at a record low of 0.5 percent since March last year, but inflation hit a 17-month high of 3.7 percent in April, contrasting with a downward trend in the U.S. and the euro zone.
Fellow Bank policymaker Andrew Sentance unexpectedly voted for a rise in interest rates last month, but Adam Posen said in a speech on Wednesday there was too big a risk the UK would return to recession for rate rises to be appropriate now.
Miles said he was more optimistic than a few months ago but warned a setback in the euro zone could still harm Britain's recovery.
"Banks throughout Europe are finding it more difficult than they might have hoped a few months ago to raise funding and they are being pushed towards shorter maturity funding -- all of which is worrisome."
"These remain real concerns and the UK -- being a very open economy, having a large banking sector -- can't isolate itself from the risks here."
(Reporting by Caroline Copley; Editing by )
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- Australia's Low Birth Rate May Be Due to Low Confidence in Economy
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- Fears Of Infection Spread Prompt Some US Hospitals To Refuse Ebola Patients
- Readers Slam a Book Showing That US Wealth And Power Rests on Slave Labour
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions