Microsoft Pulls Plug on Kin Phones
July 1, 2010 2:24 PM EST
Microsoft Corp has pulled the plug on a new generation of smartphones less than three months after the company unveiled the devices in an attempt to catch-up with Apple and Google in the fast-growing mobile market.
Microsoft said on Wednesday it had canceled plans to sell its "Kin" phones in Europe this Fall. The company added the internal team working on the Kin phones would be combined with the group working on Microsoft's forthcoming Windows Phone 7 software.
"We will continue to work with Verizon in the U.S. to sell current Kin phones," Microsoft said in an emailed statement.
The Kin phones represented software giant Microsoft's first foray into designing its own phones. The two Kin models featured built-in Internet social networking functionality as well as Microsoft's Zune digital music player and were aimed at savvy young phone users.
Microsoft began selling the Kin phones with Verizon Wireless in May. Verizon Wireless, the largest U.S. wireless operator, is a joint venture of Verizon Communications and Vodafone Group Plc.
(Reporting by Alexei Oreskovic; Editing by Sofina Mirza-Reid)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists