Gold and Silver Drop to Mid-January Levels
By Eric McWhinnie | March 23, 2012 6:30 AM EST
Both precious metals closed at their lowest level since mid-January as the U.S. dollar (NYSE:UUP) climbed higher. A preliminary gauge of Chinese manufacturing weighed on markets as it decreased in March. The HSBC flash Purchasing Managers Index dropped to 48.1 in March, a four month low. In comparison, February had a reading of 49.6. A reading below 50 indicates a contraction in the economy.
Don’t Miss: Student Debt Bubble Hits $1 Trillion
“Growth momentum could slow down further amid a combination of sluggish export new orders and softening domestic demand, and this calls for further easing steps,” said Qu Hongbin, Hong Kong-based chief economist for China at HSBC.
Although more easing will be positive for gold and silver in the long-run, the metals experienced a broad pullback today. In afternoon trading, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) dipped .40 percent, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) dropped 2.4 percent. Gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such as AngloGold (NYSE:AU) and Yamana Gold (NYSE:AUY) fell more than 2 percent, while Goldcorp Inc. (NYSE:GG) decreased .77 percent. Silver miners (NYSEARCA:SIL) such as Fortuna Silver (NYSE:FSM) and Silvercorp Metals Inc. (NYSE:SVM) also declined more than 2 percent.
Shares of Randgold Resources (NASDAQ:GOLD) were punished 12 percent after reports of renegade soldiers overthrowing a democratically elected government of Mali, where the miner operates. However, Randgold claims its operations were unaffected. “Operations are running normally, people are at work,” Randgold CEO Mark Bristow explained.
Investor Insight: Endeavour Silver Provides Blueprint to Sprott’s Call to Action
If you would like to receive professional analysis on equity miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
To contact the reporter on this story: Eric McWhinnie at firstname.lastname@example.org
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Damien Hoffman at email@example.com
Most Popular Slideshows
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Monday Night Football Recap: Chicago Bears 27, New York Jets 19
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues