Gold and Silver Drop to Mid-January Levels
By Eric McWhinnie | March 23, 2012 6:30 AM EST
Both precious metals closed at their lowest level since mid-January as the U.S. dollar (NYSE:UUP) climbed higher. A preliminary gauge of Chinese manufacturing weighed on markets as it decreased in March. The HSBC flash Purchasing Managers Index dropped to 48.1 in March, a four month low. In comparison, February had a reading of 49.6. A reading below 50 indicates a contraction in the economy.
Don’t Miss: Student Debt Bubble Hits $1 Trillion
“Growth momentum could slow down further amid a combination of sluggish export new orders and softening domestic demand, and this calls for further easing steps,” said Qu Hongbin, Hong Kong-based chief economist for China at HSBC.
Although more easing will be positive for gold and silver in the long-run, the metals experienced a broad pullback today. In afternoon trading, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) dipped .40 percent, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) dropped 2.4 percent. Gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such as AngloGold (NYSE:AU) and Yamana Gold (NYSE:AUY) fell more than 2 percent, while Goldcorp Inc. (NYSE:GG) decreased .77 percent. Silver miners (NYSEARCA:SIL) such as Fortuna Silver (NYSE:FSM) and Silvercorp Metals Inc. (NYSE:SVM) also declined more than 2 percent.
Shares of Randgold Resources (NASDAQ:GOLD) were punished 12 percent after reports of renegade soldiers overthrowing a democratically elected government of Mali, where the miner operates. However, Randgold claims its operations were unaffected. “Operations are running normally, people are at work,” Randgold CEO Mark Bristow explained.
Investor Insight: Endeavour Silver Provides Blueprint to Sprott’s Call to Action
If you would like to receive professional analysis on equity miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
To contact the reporter on this story: Eric McWhinnie at firstname.lastname@example.org
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Damien Hoffman at email@example.com
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- Global Markets Overview – July 15, 2014
- Honduran Gold Mine Caves in; 8 Rescued, 3 Remain Trapped (PHOTOS)
- Chinese Govt Tightens Control on Gold to Curb Imports, Could Drop 400T from 2013 – Report
- ANZ Seeks Role in Pilot Global Gold Trading Platform in Shanghai
- US California Couple Sells 1,400 Rare Gold Coins Found in Backyard, Now Millionaires
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell
- Hilary Duff's New Music Video Chasing the Sun Goes Viral on YouTube [WATCH VIDEO]
- LeBron James to Return to Miami, Face Heat on Christmas Day 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report