Gold and Silver Drop to Mid-January Levels
By Eric McWhinnie | March 23, 2012 6:30 AM EST
Both precious metals closed at their lowest level since mid-January as the U.S. dollar (NYSE:UUP) climbed higher. A preliminary gauge of Chinese manufacturing weighed on markets as it decreased in March. The HSBC flash Purchasing Managers Index dropped to 48.1 in March, a four month low. In comparison, February had a reading of 49.6. A reading below 50 indicates a contraction in the economy.
Don’t Miss: Student Debt Bubble Hits $1 Trillion
“Growth momentum could slow down further amid a combination of sluggish export new orders and softening domestic demand, and this calls for further easing steps,” said Qu Hongbin, Hong Kong-based chief economist for China at HSBC.
Although more easing will be positive for gold and silver in the long-run, the metals experienced a broad pullback today. In afternoon trading, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) dipped .40 percent, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) dropped 2.4 percent. Gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such as AngloGold (NYSE:AU) and Yamana Gold (NYSE:AUY) fell more than 2 percent, while Goldcorp Inc. (NYSE:GG) decreased .77 percent. Silver miners (NYSEARCA:SIL) such as Fortuna Silver (NYSE:FSM) and Silvercorp Metals Inc. (NYSE:SVM) also declined more than 2 percent.
Shares of Randgold Resources (NASDAQ:GOLD) were punished 12 percent after reports of renegade soldiers overthrowing a democratically elected government of Mali, where the miner operates. However, Randgold claims its operations were unaffected. “Operations are running normally, people are at work,” Randgold CEO Mark Bristow explained.
Investor Insight: Endeavour Silver Provides Blueprint to Sprott’s Call to Action
If you would like to receive professional analysis on equity miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
To contact the reporter on this story: Eric McWhinnie at email@example.com
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Damien Hoffman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Global Markets Overview – July 15, 2014
- Honduran Gold Mine Caves in; 8 Rescued, 3 Remain Trapped (PHOTOS)
- Chinese Govt Tightens Control on Gold to Curb Imports, Could Drop 400T from 2013 – Report
- ANZ Seeks Role in Pilot Global Gold Trading Platform in Shanghai
- US California Couple Sells 1,400 Rare Gold Coins Found in Backyard, Now Millionaires
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales