Gold and Silver Drop to Mid-January Levels
By Eric McWhinnie | March 23, 2012 6:30 AM EST
Both precious metals closed at their lowest level since mid-January as the U.S. dollar (NYSE:UUP) climbed higher. A preliminary gauge of Chinese manufacturing weighed on markets as it decreased in March. The HSBC flash Purchasing Managers Index dropped to 48.1 in March, a four month low. In comparison, February had a reading of 49.6. A reading below 50 indicates a contraction in the economy.
Don’t Miss: Student Debt Bubble Hits $1 Trillion
“Growth momentum could slow down further amid a combination of sluggish export new orders and softening domestic demand, and this calls for further easing steps,” said Qu Hongbin, Hong Kong-based chief economist for China at HSBC.
Although more easing will be positive for gold and silver in the long-run, the metals experienced a broad pullback today. In afternoon trading, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) dipped .40 percent, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) dropped 2.4 percent. Gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such as AngloGold (NYSE:AU) and Yamana Gold (NYSE:AUY) fell more than 2 percent, while Goldcorp Inc. (NYSE:GG) decreased .77 percent. Silver miners (NYSEARCA:SIL) such as Fortuna Silver (NYSE:FSM) and Silvercorp Metals Inc. (NYSE:SVM) also declined more than 2 percent.
Shares of Randgold Resources (NASDAQ:GOLD) were punished 12 percent after reports of renegade soldiers overthrowing a democratically elected government of Mali, where the miner operates. However, Randgold claims its operations were unaffected. “Operations are running normally, people are at work,” Randgold CEO Mark Bristow explained.
Investor Insight: Endeavour Silver Provides Blueprint to Sprott’s Call to Action
If you would like to receive professional analysis on equity miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
To contact the reporter on this story: Eric McWhinnie at firstname.lastname@example.org
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Damien Hoffman at email@example.com
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Worldwide Appetite for Gold Slumps 16% in 2Q 2014 – WGC
- Gold in China: 127-Tonne Gold Reserves Tapped in Xinjiang
- Global Markets Overview – July 15, 2014
- Honduran Gold Mine Caves in; 8 Rescued, 3 Remain Trapped (PHOTOS)
- Chinese Govt Tightens Control on Gold to Curb Imports, Could Drop 400T from 2013 – Report
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015