Did Whitney Houston’s Death Scare The Situation Straight? Mike Sorrentino Admits To Prescription Medication Abuse, But What Else?
By Amanda Remling | March 23, 2012 1:00 AM EST
Whitney Houston is the latest celebrity whose problems with prescription pills ended in an untimely demise. On Tuesday, reps for Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino quickly refuted claims that the reality star had checked into rehab, but last night the Situation took to his Facebook page to "set the record straight."
After posting on his Facebook wall, "Don't believe everything you read or hear," Sorrentino wrote this: "I want to set the record straight. I have voluntarily taken the steps to get control of a prescription medication problem I had due to exhaustion. I have spent the past several weeks getting treatment for this problem and recuperating from my work and appearance schedule. I appreciate my fans support and love. "
Posted 15 hours ago, the Situation already has 2,286 fans "liking" his post, with another 514 taking the time to comment. "There's no situation that the Situation can't handle," one fan writes. Another fan commented, "Take care Mike. It was obvious when you were not acting yourself this season."
While many seem to be supportive, a couple people seem to be calling Mike out on a bigger issue than prescription pills -- cocaine. "Bullsh-t. We all know you were doing cocaine," one individual wrote on Sorrentino's wall post, while another person posted, "Since when is coke a prescription?"
Incriminating screen shots from a February 2011 episode of "Jersey Shore" shows the Situation and Ronnie's ex-girlfriend doing something a little odd with their nose's while at a club.
While Sorrentino is only acknowledging his problem with prescription pills, he has not touched on the cocaine rumors or photos that have been circulating for over a year. TMZ is reporting that Sorrentino has more than a prescription drug problem. The gossip site has also learned that he has a situation with alcohol which he is working on treated at the Cirque Lodge in Utah. TMZ's source is stating that Sorrentino is "very open" about his alcohol use with the other patients at the detox center, telling others that his club appearances drove him to his alcohol problem.
Was Whitney Houston a wake up call for the Situation? While he has not admitted to what drove him to get help, Houston's February death could have triggered his entry into rehab. It was concluded that the late singer died of a combination of "Xanax and other powerful prescription drugs with alcohol." Heath Ledger (2008), Anna Nicole Smith (2007), Elvis Presley (1977) and Marilyn Monroe (1962) all met a similar fate due to a lethal combination of prescription drugs.
Although the entire cast of "Jersey Shore" has been confirmed for the sixth season, it's uncertain if the the Situation or the show will move forward with the current "situation." Would he be in a safe situation on the show if he is indeed battling alcohol problems alongside prescription pills? And will MTV just be enabling his potentially fatal problems if he returns to season six? If "Jersey Shore" does falls through, Sorrentino can fall back on fellow reality show, "Celebrity Rehab."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Back To Herself After Struggling With Hyperemesis Gravidarum
- Ebola Vaccine: Johnson & Johnson Confident Of Human Trials In January And Market Delivery in May Next Year
- 12 Terrifyingly Healthy Halloween Treats
- New York Doctor Tests Positive For Ebola
- ‘Death Sentence’ For 50,000 Australians With The Refusal Of Costly Hep C Treatment
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS