Mauritius business confidence hit by euro woes-survey
By Jean Paul Arouff | July 1, 2010 5:39 AM EST
Confidence among Mauritius businesses was hurt in May and June by the crisis in the euro zone, a major tourism and export goods market, an inaugural survey showed on Wednesday.
The study, run by the Mauritius Chamber of Commerce and Industry showed confidence stood at 96.7 points out of a possible 100.
"What we have seen from this first survey is that there are some apprehensions with regard to the impact of the euro zone crisis, our main market, on the local economy," Renganaden Padayachy, macroeconomist at the chamber of commerce and industry, told reporters at the launching ceremony.
The survey will henceforth run on a quarterly basis, Padayachy said.
He said business in manufacturing were mostly concerned with the weakness of the euro against the rupee while the retail sector expressed concerns on the impact of the appreciation of the dollar against the rupee on prices locally.
Europe is Mauritius' main buyer with 67 percent of the country's exports. It is also a major source of tourists. Most of its imports, like oil and machinery are denominated in dollars.
"A sectoral analysis showed that confidence fell most in the manufacturing and the retail sectors," Padayachy said.
Finance Minister Pravind Jugnauth told parliament this month that economic output was expected to grow by between 3.5 and 4.0 percent, less than a previous estimate of 4.3 percent, partly due to the crisis in the euro zone, a major tourism and export goods market. [ID:nLDE65L0PK]
The Central Statistics Office said Mauritius' economy will grow by 4.2 percent in 2010, against a forecast of 4.6 percent made in March this year.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Travel Alert: Over 200 Canadians Infected with Mosquito-Borne Chikungunya Virus
- Economic Growth In US And Sub-Saharan Africa Allay 2015 Recession Fears
- US Dedicates 5 Airports for Travellers From Ebola-Stricken Nations, Lawmakers Want Travel Ban
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’