Mauritius business confidence hit by euro woes-survey
By Jean Paul Arouff | July 1, 2010 5:39 AM EST
Confidence among Mauritius businesses was hurt in May and June by the crisis in the euro zone, a major tourism and export goods market, an inaugural survey showed on Wednesday.
The study, run by the Mauritius Chamber of Commerce and Industry showed confidence stood at 96.7 points out of a possible 100.
"What we have seen from this first survey is that there are some apprehensions with regard to the impact of the euro zone crisis, our main market, on the local economy," Renganaden Padayachy, macroeconomist at the chamber of commerce and industry, told reporters at the launching ceremony.
The survey will henceforth run on a quarterly basis, Padayachy said.
He said business in manufacturing were mostly concerned with the weakness of the euro against the rupee while the retail sector expressed concerns on the impact of the appreciation of the dollar against the rupee on prices locally.
Europe is Mauritius' main buyer with 67 percent of the country's exports. It is also a major source of tourists. Most of its imports, like oil and machinery are denominated in dollars.
"A sectoral analysis showed that confidence fell most in the manufacturing and the retail sectors," Padayachy said.
Finance Minister Pravind Jugnauth told parliament this month that economic output was expected to grow by between 3.5 and 4.0 percent, less than a previous estimate of 4.3 percent, partly due to the crisis in the euro zone, a major tourism and export goods market. [ID:nLDE65L0PK]
The Central Statistics Office said Mauritius' economy will grow by 4.2 percent in 2010, against a forecast of 4.6 percent made in March this year.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports