Botswana GDP up 4.1 percent in Q1'10: stats office
July 1, 2010 5:14 AM EST
Botswana's gross domestic product increased by 4.1 percent in the first quarter of 2010, driven by higher output from the key mining sector, Central Statistics Office (CSO) data showed on Wednesday.
The data, posted on the Bank of Botswana's website, also showed that the economy's contraction in 2009 was revised to an estimated 3.7 percent from the 6.7 drop earlier seen.
"Output in the first quarter was 36.4 percent higher than the same period the previous year, mainly due to increased production by the diamond mines, which were temporarily closed in early 2009," the statement said.
Join the Conversation
- Japan’s Fukushima Badly Wants To Host 2020 Tokyo Olympics
- Australian Economy Expected To Have ‘Solid Growth’ Despite Falling Iron Ore Prices
- Unique Traits That Make You A Millennial
- Top Google Canada 2014 Searches: Robin Williams, World Cup, iPhone 6
- Credit Card Debt 101: How To Get Yourself Back On Track