Botswana GDP up 4.1 percent in Q1'10: stats office
July 1, 2010 5:14 AM EST
Botswana's gross domestic product increased by 4.1 percent in the first quarter of 2010, driven by higher output from the key mining sector, Central Statistics Office (CSO) data showed on Wednesday.
The data, posted on the Bank of Botswana's website, also showed that the economy's contraction in 2009 was revised to an estimated 3.7 percent from the 6.7 drop earlier seen.
"Output in the first quarter was 36.4 percent higher than the same period the previous year, mainly due to increased production by the diamond mines, which were temporarily closed in early 2009," the statement said.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Australian Dollar Outlook - 19 September 2014
- Economy Travel Not So Anymore with Air Canada, Starts Charging C$25 Checked Bag Fee
- Australian Dollar Outlook - 18 September 2014
- U.S. Congress Approves Arming, Training Syrian Rebels Against ISIS