Enbridge to spend $500 mln for Colorado wind energy project
By Balasubramanyam Seshan | July 1, 2010 4:33 AM EST
Canadian energy distributor Enbridge Inc. said its US affiliate will invest about $500 million in the 250-megawatt (MW) Cedar Point wind energy project located east of Denver, Colorado.
Enbridge has agreed to own and operate the project, which will be built by Broomfield, Colorado-based Renewable Energy Systems Americas Inc. (RES Americas) using 139 1.8 megawatt turbines from Denmark's Vestas Wind Systems A/S. Construction of the project will begin soon with substantial completion expected in late 2011.
“The investment in Cedar Point establishes a beach head for future investment into the growing U.S. green energy market. We expect to continue to grow our renewable portfolio, particularly in states like Colorado that support green energy development,” said l Monaco, Executive Vice President, Major Projects and Green Energy, Enbridge.
Enbridge expects the project to add to its earnings per share in the first full year of operation in 2012.
The project will deliver electricity to the Public Service Company of Colorado, an Xcel Energy company, under a 20-year agreement.
The wind energy project brings Enbridge's interests in renewable energy projects to eight facilities, capable of producing 800 megawatts or enough to meet the energy needs of about 260,000 homes.
Earlier this year in March, Colorado Governor Bill Ritter signed a bill to increase the state's renewable energy standards to 30 percent by 2020.
At that time, a study released from Environment Colorado estimated the law increasing the renewable energy standard would create 23,450 jobs in solar generation over the next decade, although most would be temporary jobs.
"The Cedar Point Wind Energy Project will help provide Colorado's supply of clean, reliable power while bringing jobs and economic development to communities in our state, fulfilling our promise of a new energy economy," said Ritter.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- New Malaysia Airlines Caught in Adelaide Airport Latest Scare
- Toyota Tops World Sales of Cars, Sells Over 5K Million Vehicles in First Half of 2014
- Man Swindles Apple for $309,768 in 16 States
- Formula 1 Chief Sues Google over Sex Party Pictures
- Air New Zealand Pays $1000 to NZ9 Passengers After Three-Night Delay
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date