Boeing buys defense equipment maker Argon for $775 mln
July 1, 2010 2:36 AM EST
Boeing Co said it has agreed to acquire defense equipment maker Argon ST for $34.50 per share in cash, or about $775 million, expanding its growth strategy in C4ISR, cyber and intelligence markets.
Boeing expects the deal to have an immaterial impact on its earnings. The transaction is expected to close by the end of the third quarter 2010.
The offer represents a premium of about 41 percent to Argon's closing price $24.43 on Tuesday.
"The combined business will offer affordable, network-based capabilities to meet the mission-critical needs of Boeing's domestic and international customers," Boeing said in a statement on Wednesday.
Once acquired, Argon will be a stand-alone subsidiary of Boeing and a new division of Boeing Network & Space Systems, a business within the Boeing Defense, Space & Security operating unit.
Argon makes sensors for intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance systems. The company develops command, control, communications, computers, intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance (C4ISR) and combat systems to exploit, analyze and deliver information for real-time situational awareness.
In January, Argon ST said it is exploring strategic alternatives, including a possible sale of the company, and hired Stone Key Partners as an adviser.
Shares of Boeing closed Tuesday down 6.33 percent at $63.04.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone