New Leaf-Nosed Bat Species Found In Vietnam
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | March 21, 2012 2:36 AM EST
A new Griffin's leaf-nosed bat species was recently found in Vietnam, according to a new study. (See photo here.)
National Geographic reported that the bat, which has leaf-like protrusions from its face, was first seen in Chu Mom Ray National Park in 2008. The bat was described in the February issue of the Journal of Mammology.
However, Vu Dinh Thong, of the Vietnam Academy of Science and Technology in Hanoi, told the magazine that the new bat was almost mistaken for the great leaf-nosed bat, a species that is already known.
Researchers later caught some of the bats and found that it was a new species that was never documented.
The National Geographic stated researchers recorded the sonar frequencies from the bats and took tissue samples. They found that bat issues its call at a different frequency from the great leaf-nosed bat.
Genetic results also showed that the new species is also genetically distinct, the National Geographic said of the study.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Social Media Conspiracy Fires Up Due To Ancient Engraving On Mars [Watch Video]
- Aussies Love Robots More Than The Japanese Do
- Yuka, A Woolly Mammoth, Is Just 39,000 Years Young, And Wears A Reddish Coat
- Army Of Moonwalkers May Soon Be Ready As Michael Jackson Reportedly Cloned Himself Before Death
- Nanoplug Invisible Hearing Aid Comes With High-Tech Features And Nano-Battery That Recharges Instantaneously
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2