New Leaf-Nosed Bat Species Found In Vietnam
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | March 21, 2012 2:36 AM EST
A new Griffin's leaf-nosed bat species was recently found in Vietnam, according to a new study. (See photo here.)
National Geographic reported that the bat, which has leaf-like protrusions from its face, was first seen in Chu Mom Ray National Park in 2008. The bat was described in the February issue of the Journal of Mammology.
However, Vu Dinh Thong, of the Vietnam Academy of Science and Technology in Hanoi, told the magazine that the new bat was almost mistaken for the great leaf-nosed bat, a species that is already known.
Researchers later caught some of the bats and found that it was a new species that was never documented.
The National Geographic stated researchers recorded the sonar frequencies from the bats and took tissue samples. They found that bat issues its call at a different frequency from the great leaf-nosed bat.
Genetic results also showed that the new species is also genetically distinct, the National Geographic said of the study.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks
- U.S. Missile Shield In Europe Opens In Romania: Russia's Reservations Ignored