New Leaf-Nosed Bat Species Found In Vietnam
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | March 21, 2012 2:36 AM EST
A new Griffin's leaf-nosed bat species was recently found in Vietnam, according to a new study. (See photo here.)
National Geographic reported that the bat, which has leaf-like protrusions from its face, was first seen in Chu Mom Ray National Park in 2008. The bat was described in the February issue of the Journal of Mammology.
However, Vu Dinh Thong, of the Vietnam Academy of Science and Technology in Hanoi, told the magazine that the new bat was almost mistaken for the great leaf-nosed bat, a species that is already known.
Researchers later caught some of the bats and found that it was a new species that was never documented.
The National Geographic stated researchers recorded the sonar frequencies from the bats and took tissue samples. They found that bat issues its call at a different frequency from the great leaf-nosed bat.
Genetic results also showed that the new species is also genetically distinct, the National Geographic said of the study.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Volcano Eruption In Iceland: Lava Erupts More Than 50 Meters High, Prompts Aviation Alert [Video]
- UFO Sighting in Australia: A Mysterious 'Flying' Object With Changing Colors Observed[Watch Video]
- Bad Memories Can be Changed into Good Ones, Say Scientists
- Walking Fish Reveal How Our Ancestors Evolved Onto Land (Watch Video)
- Stargazing: Saturn, Moon and Mars Meet Up Last August 31
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How