New Leaf-Nosed Bat Species Found In Vietnam
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | March 21, 2012 2:36 AM EST
A new Griffin's leaf-nosed bat species was recently found in Vietnam, according to a new study. (See photo here.)
National Geographic reported that the bat, which has leaf-like protrusions from its face, was first seen in Chu Mom Ray National Park in 2008. The bat was described in the February issue of the Journal of Mammology.
However, Vu Dinh Thong, of the Vietnam Academy of Science and Technology in Hanoi, told the magazine that the new bat was almost mistaken for the great leaf-nosed bat, a species that is already known.
Researchers later caught some of the bats and found that it was a new species that was never documented.
The National Geographic stated researchers recorded the sonar frequencies from the bats and took tissue samples. They found that bat issues its call at a different frequency from the great leaf-nosed bat.
Genetic results also showed that the new species is also genetically distinct, the National Geographic said of the study.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- Final 2014 Solar Eclipse: When And How To Safely View It Plus Where To Watch Online Via Live Stream
- Britons Advised to Brace for Strong Hurricane Gonzalo Bearing Winds Up to 75mph; Affects Flights, Train Services
- MH370 Search Update: Australian Scientist Has Reportedly Found A Solution To The Mystery Of Missing Malaysia Airlines Jet
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop