European stocks rebounding from yesterday's steep losses, Asia equities fall
By Palash R. Ghosh | July 1, 2010 1:19 AM EST
European stock indices have rebounded from yesterday's steep losses, emboldened by a decline in Germany's June jobless rate, as well as the European Central Bank's encouraging 3-month tender outcome, which alleviated concerns about the state of the eurozone's interbank market.
For the moment, UK investors appear to be shrugging off warnings from a rate-setting member at the Bank of England that the government's proposed austerity measures could drive Britain back into recession.
As of approximately 7 pm (EDT), The FTSE-100 index of UK
is up 0.65 percent, Germany's DAX is rising 0.62 percent to; and France's CAC-40 was up by 0.83 percent.
Asian equity indices fell overnight, on fears that economies in the U.S. and China are running out of steam.
Japan's Nikkei-225 stock average dropped 1.96 percent; Hong Kong's Hang Seng index fell 0.59 percent; and the Shanghai Composite index slipped 1.18 percent.
U.S. stocks futures are predicting modest rise, ahead of ADP private payrolls report, the latest Chicago PMI and more Fedspeak.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday July 23, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report –Midday July 22, 2014
- Major European & U.S. Airlines Cancel Flights to Israel after Rocket Attack on Tel Aviv Airport
- BHP Billiton Goads Abbott Government to Also Repeal Mining Tax Law
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning July 23, 2014
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales