European stocks rebounding from yesterday's steep losses, Asia equities fall
By Palash R. Ghosh | July 1, 2010 1:19 AM EST
European stock indices have rebounded from yesterday's steep losses, emboldened by a decline in Germany's June jobless rate, as well as the European Central Bank's encouraging 3-month tender outcome, which alleviated concerns about the state of the eurozone's interbank market.
For the moment, UK investors appear to be shrugging off warnings from a rate-setting member at the Bank of England that the government's proposed austerity measures could drive Britain back into recession.
As of approximately 7 pm (EDT), The FTSE-100 index of UK
is up 0.65 percent, Germany's DAX is rising 0.62 percent to; and France's CAC-40 was up by 0.83 percent.
Asian equity indices fell overnight, on fears that economies in the U.S. and China are running out of steam.
Japan's Nikkei-225 stock average dropped 1.96 percent; Hong Kong's Hang Seng index fell 0.59 percent; and the Shanghai Composite index slipped 1.18 percent.
U.S. stocks futures are predicting modest rise, ahead of ADP private payrolls report, the latest Chicago PMI and more Fedspeak.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- El Pollo Loco Shareprice Up 33% on 1st Day of Trading
- South Australia OKs $800M Copper, Gold & Iron Ore Mine on Prime Agri Land in Yorke Peninsula
- Long Beach Real Estate Market Is Pricing Out Home Buyers with Limited Budget
- Australian Stock Market Report –Midday July 30, 2014
- 93% of Mining Leaders See Extremely Low or Zero Growth Prospect for Industry in Next 1-2 Years; No Immediate Plans by BHP for Olympic Dam Expansion
- Selena Gomez Allegedly Back in Rehab, Hugs Nat Wolff the Night Justin Bieber & Orlando Bloom Made Headlines in Ibiza
- Girls Star Allison Williams to Play Titular Role in NBC's Peter Pan Live
- Kendall Jenner Forbids Sister Kim Kardashian from Attending her Fashion Shows, Considers her Presence a Hindrance - Reports
- Kendall Jenner Ignores Kim Kardashian Big Time, Tries to Befriend Beyonce - Reports
- Apple Mac Remains Strong Despite Challenging PC Market, iPhone Remains a Winner Through Q3 Price Points