European stocks rebounding from yesterday's steep losses, Asia equities fall
By Palash R. Ghosh | July 1, 2010 1:19 AM EST
European stock indices have rebounded from yesterday's steep losses, emboldened by a decline in Germany's June jobless rate, as well as the European Central Bank's encouraging 3-month tender outcome, which alleviated concerns about the state of the eurozone's interbank market.
For the moment, UK investors appear to be shrugging off warnings from a rate-setting member at the Bank of England that the government's proposed austerity measures could drive Britain back into recession.
As of approximately 7 pm (EDT), The FTSE-100 index of UK
is up 0.65 percent, Germany's DAX is rising 0.62 percent to; and France's CAC-40 was up by 0.83 percent.
Asian equity indices fell overnight, on fears that economies in the U.S. and China are running out of steam.
Japan's Nikkei-225 stock average dropped 1.96 percent; Hong Kong's Hang Seng index fell 0.59 percent; and the Shanghai Composite index slipped 1.18 percent.
U.S. stocks futures are predicting modest rise, ahead of ADP private payrolls report, the latest Chicago PMI and more Fedspeak.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert