European stocks rebounding from yesterday's steep losses, Asia equities fall
By Palash R. Ghosh | July 1, 2010 1:19 AM EST
European stock indices have rebounded from yesterday's steep losses, emboldened by a decline in Germany's June jobless rate, as well as the European Central Bank's encouraging 3-month tender outcome, which alleviated concerns about the state of the eurozone's interbank market.
For the moment, UK investors appear to be shrugging off warnings from a rate-setting member at the Bank of England that the government's proposed austerity measures could drive Britain back into recession.
As of approximately 7 pm (EDT), The FTSE-100 index of UK
is up 0.65 percent, Germany's DAX is rising 0.62 percent to; and France's CAC-40 was up by 0.83 percent.
Asian equity indices fell overnight, on fears that economies in the U.S. and China are running out of steam.
Japan's Nikkei-225 stock average dropped 1.96 percent; Hong Kong's Hang Seng index fell 0.59 percent; and the Shanghai Composite index slipped 1.18 percent.
U.S. stocks futures are predicting modest rise, ahead of ADP private payrolls report, the latest Chicago PMI and more Fedspeak.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- A Month After Ukraine Plane Crash, Malaysia Airlines Doubles Commission of Australian Travel Agents to 11% to Boost Seat Sales
- Australia Could Become an Oil Giant After Apache Discovery of Field With Potential of 300 Million Barrels of Black Gold
- European Telcos in Buy-out Mode for American Firms
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon August 19, 2014
- Melbourne Is World’s Most Liveable City for 4th Consecutive Year
- Robin Williams Goodbye Video Hoax: Facebook Users Warned of Celebrity Suicide Exploitation
- 4 Killer Android Features Apple Fans Would Love to Get Come the iPhone 6 Release Date
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: AT&T/Sprint Release and When to Hit Your Region
- Motorola Moto X+1 On Release Date To Come With Snapdragon 800 Processor, 2 GB RAM, 4K Recording And 5.2-Inch Display