European stocks rebounding from yesterday's steep losses, Asia equities fall
By Palash R. Ghosh | July 1, 2010 1:19 AM EST
European stock indices have rebounded from yesterday's steep losses, emboldened by a decline in Germany's June jobless rate, as well as the European Central Bank's encouraging 3-month tender outcome, which alleviated concerns about the state of the eurozone's interbank market.
For the moment, UK investors appear to be shrugging off warnings from a rate-setting member at the Bank of England that the government's proposed austerity measures could drive Britain back into recession.
As of approximately 7 pm (EDT), The FTSE-100 index of UK
is up 0.65 percent, Germany's DAX is rising 0.62 percent to; and France's CAC-40 was up by 0.83 percent.
Asian equity indices fell overnight, on fears that economies in the U.S. and China are running out of steam.
Japan's Nikkei-225 stock average dropped 1.96 percent; Hong Kong's Hang Seng index fell 0.59 percent; and the Shanghai Composite index slipped 1.18 percent.
U.S. stocks futures are predicting modest rise, ahead of ADP private payrolls report, the latest Chicago PMI and more Fedspeak.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones