'Mass Effect 3' Ending: BioWare May Change Ending As Angry Fan Files FTC Complaint, 'Did Not Live Up To Claims'
By Lisa Eadicicco | March 20, 2012 8:57 AM EST
The dissent over the ending of BioWare's "Mass Effect 3" has grown pretty strong, and one fan took the movement to the next level. According to PCMag, a "Mass Effect" player filed a false advertising complaint with the Federal Trade Commission.
"After reading through the list of promises about the ending of the game they made in their advertising campaign and PR interviews, it was clear that the product we got did not live up to any of those claims," read a post on the BioWare forums from user El_Spiko.
The user referenced quotes from BioWare execs before the release that didn't match up with the game's ending, reported PCMag.
"Does all that talk of meaningful player choice, multiple significantly different endings and closure for the characters and series not seem, at the very least, strange?" wrote user cato_84.
FTC rules for Internet advertising prohibits, "unfair or deceptive advertising in any medium. That is, adverting must tell the truth and not mislead consumers," according to the FTC's official website.
"Mass Effect 3" director Casey Hudson responded to the posts, saying that the ending to the space-age series was always meant to be "bittersweet" and that "to do otherwise would betray the agonizing decisions Shepard had to make along the way."
The "Retake Mass Effect" social media revolt combined with this FTC complaint may have just put the game's developers over the edge. According to Gamespot.com, BioWare hasn't ruled out the possibility of revising the game's ending.
"We would like to clarify that we are actively and seriously taking all player feedback into consideration and have ruled nothing out," read a statement from BioWare. "At this time we are still collecting and considering your feedback and have not made a decision regarding requests to change the ending."
However, there are some fans that think all the hype is unnecessary and prefer the ending to stay the way it is.
"Finding all this hoohaa about the mass effect 3 ending a bi ridiculous how entitled must you be to demand it changed?? Can you imagine..."one user posted on Twitter.
"For the love of god Bioware, don't listen to those asking for the ending of Mass Effect 3 to be changed. They are silly people," another fan tweeted.
Others said they were able to see the positive aspects of the highly acclaimed RPG's controversial conclusion.
"I finally read this SPOILER filled reason why Mass Effect 3's ending doesn't need to be changed. Really good," a player posted on Twitter.
It is unclear whether or not the game's creators will actually alter the endings. Despite the disappointment, the "Mass Effect" finale managed to sell $890,000 copies in its first 24 hours.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- Ebola Virus 'Rapidly Mutating' as Research Finds Almost 400 Mutations; International Aid Moves at a Snail's Pace
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos Leak Raises Doubts on Apple's iCloud; How to Secure Apple ID
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase