'Mass Effect 3' Ending: BioWare May Change Ending As Angry Fan Files FTC Complaint, 'Did Not Live Up To Claims'
By Lisa Eadicicco | March 20, 2012 8:57 AM EST
The dissent over the ending of BioWare's "Mass Effect 3" has grown pretty strong, and one fan took the movement to the next level. According to PCMag, a "Mass Effect" player filed a false advertising complaint with the Federal Trade Commission.
"After reading through the list of promises about the ending of the game they made in their advertising campaign and PR interviews, it was clear that the product we got did not live up to any of those claims," read a post on the BioWare forums from user El_Spiko.
The user referenced quotes from BioWare execs before the release that didn't match up with the game's ending, reported PCMag.
"Does all that talk of meaningful player choice, multiple significantly different endings and closure for the characters and series not seem, at the very least, strange?" wrote user cato_84.
FTC rules for Internet advertising prohibits, "unfair or deceptive advertising in any medium. That is, adverting must tell the truth and not mislead consumers," according to the FTC's official website.
"Mass Effect 3" director Casey Hudson responded to the posts, saying that the ending to the space-age series was always meant to be "bittersweet" and that "to do otherwise would betray the agonizing decisions Shepard had to make along the way."
The "Retake Mass Effect" social media revolt combined with this FTC complaint may have just put the game's developers over the edge. According to Gamespot.com, BioWare hasn't ruled out the possibility of revising the game's ending.
"We would like to clarify that we are actively and seriously taking all player feedback into consideration and have ruled nothing out," read a statement from BioWare. "At this time we are still collecting and considering your feedback and have not made a decision regarding requests to change the ending."
However, there are some fans that think all the hype is unnecessary and prefer the ending to stay the way it is.
"Finding all this hoohaa about the mass effect 3 ending a bi ridiculous how entitled must you be to demand it changed?? Can you imagine..."one user posted on Twitter.
"For the love of god Bioware, don't listen to those asking for the ending of Mass Effect 3 to be changed. They are silly people," another fan tweeted.
Others said they were able to see the positive aspects of the highly acclaimed RPG's controversial conclusion.
"I finally read this SPOILER filled reason why Mass Effect 3's ending doesn't need to be changed. Really good," a player posted on Twitter.
It is unclear whether or not the game's creators will actually alter the endings. Despite the disappointment, the "Mass Effect" finale managed to sell $890,000 copies in its first 24 hours.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- ISIS Video of Slain Syrian Soldiers Raises Doubts; Syrian Gov't Demands Release of Captured Troops
- Family of Accidentally Killed Arizona Shooting Range Instructor Charles Vacca Feels Sorry For 9-Year-Old Uzi Girl
- Major Highlights On 1400 Minor’s Sex Assault
- Shocking Ice Bucket Challenge Video: Man Drenches 10-Month-Old Granddaughter, Video Garnered Angry And Appalled Comments From Viewers
- Viral Video Pregnancy News: Young Boy Reacts To Mom's 'Exasperating' Pregnancy News, Asks Mom To Buy Him Ear Plugs
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares