'Mass Effect 3' Ending: BioWare May Change Ending As Angry Fan Files FTC Complaint, 'Did Not Live Up To Claims'
By Lisa Eadicicco | March 20, 2012 8:57 AM EST
The dissent over the ending of BioWare's "Mass Effect 3" has grown pretty strong, and one fan took the movement to the next level. According to PCMag, a "Mass Effect" player filed a false advertising complaint with the Federal Trade Commission.
"After reading through the list of promises about the ending of the game they made in their advertising campaign and PR interviews, it was clear that the product we got did not live up to any of those claims," read a post on the BioWare forums from user El_Spiko.
The user referenced quotes from BioWare execs before the release that didn't match up with the game's ending, reported PCMag.
"Does all that talk of meaningful player choice, multiple significantly different endings and closure for the characters and series not seem, at the very least, strange?" wrote user cato_84.
FTC rules for Internet advertising prohibits, "unfair or deceptive advertising in any medium. That is, adverting must tell the truth and not mislead consumers," according to the FTC's official website.
"Mass Effect 3" director Casey Hudson responded to the posts, saying that the ending to the space-age series was always meant to be "bittersweet" and that "to do otherwise would betray the agonizing decisions Shepard had to make along the way."
The "Retake Mass Effect" social media revolt combined with this FTC complaint may have just put the game's developers over the edge. According to Gamespot.com, BioWare hasn't ruled out the possibility of revising the game's ending.
"We would like to clarify that we are actively and seriously taking all player feedback into consideration and have ruled nothing out," read a statement from BioWare. "At this time we are still collecting and considering your feedback and have not made a decision regarding requests to change the ending."
However, there are some fans that think all the hype is unnecessary and prefer the ending to stay the way it is.
"Finding all this hoohaa about the mass effect 3 ending a bi ridiculous how entitled must you be to demand it changed?? Can you imagine..."one user posted on Twitter.
"For the love of god Bioware, don't listen to those asking for the ending of Mass Effect 3 to be changed. They are silly people," another fan tweeted.
Others said they were able to see the positive aspects of the highly acclaimed RPG's controversial conclusion.
"I finally read this SPOILER filled reason why Mass Effect 3's ending doesn't need to be changed. Really good," a player posted on Twitter.
It is unclear whether or not the game's creators will actually alter the endings. Despite the disappointment, the "Mass Effect" finale managed to sell $890,000 copies in its first 24 hours.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales