'Mass Effect 3' Ending: BioWare May Change Ending As Angry Fan Files FTC Complaint, 'Did Not Live Up To Claims'
By Lisa Eadicicco | March 20, 2012 8:57 AM EST
The dissent over the ending of BioWare's "Mass Effect 3" has grown pretty strong, and one fan took the movement to the next level. According to PCMag, a "Mass Effect" player filed a false advertising complaint with the Federal Trade Commission.
"After reading through the list of promises about the ending of the game they made in their advertising campaign and PR interviews, it was clear that the product we got did not live up to any of those claims," read a post on the BioWare forums from user El_Spiko.
The user referenced quotes from BioWare execs before the release that didn't match up with the game's ending, reported PCMag.
"Does all that talk of meaningful player choice, multiple significantly different endings and closure for the characters and series not seem, at the very least, strange?" wrote user cato_84.
FTC rules for Internet advertising prohibits, "unfair or deceptive advertising in any medium. That is, adverting must tell the truth and not mislead consumers," according to the FTC's official website.
"Mass Effect 3" director Casey Hudson responded to the posts, saying that the ending to the space-age series was always meant to be "bittersweet" and that "to do otherwise would betray the agonizing decisions Shepard had to make along the way."
The "Retake Mass Effect" social media revolt combined with this FTC complaint may have just put the game's developers over the edge. According to Gamespot.com, BioWare hasn't ruled out the possibility of revising the game's ending.
"We would like to clarify that we are actively and seriously taking all player feedback into consideration and have ruled nothing out," read a statement from BioWare. "At this time we are still collecting and considering your feedback and have not made a decision regarding requests to change the ending."
However, there are some fans that think all the hype is unnecessary and prefer the ending to stay the way it is.
"Finding all this hoohaa about the mass effect 3 ending a bi ridiculous how entitled must you be to demand it changed?? Can you imagine..."one user posted on Twitter.
"For the love of god Bioware, don't listen to those asking for the ending of Mass Effect 3 to be changed. They are silly people," another fan tweeted.
Others said they were able to see the positive aspects of the highly acclaimed RPG's controversial conclusion.
"I finally read this SPOILER filled reason why Mass Effect 3's ending doesn't need to be changed. Really good," a player posted on Twitter.
It is unclear whether or not the game's creators will actually alter the endings. Despite the disappointment, the "Mass Effect" finale managed to sell $890,000 copies in its first 24 hours.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- Taylor Swift's Famous Ex-Boyfriends: From Harry Styles To Joe Jonas [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Reportedly Prohibits Camilla Parker-Bowles From ‘Seeing Her Family’ And Newborn
- Ebola in US: Stock Surge for Pharmaceutical Companies Working on Vaccine
- MH370 Search Update: Was Reported That Experts Claim To Know The Possible Location; Suggest Authorities To Look ‘Further South In The Indian Ocean’
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy: Duchess Forced By The Queen To Be Out In The Public Again
- 5 Things You Should Know About House Training Your Pets
- 3 Signs Nexus 6, 8 Release Date Nears: Leaked Pics, KitKat Factory Image & Android L Details Emerge
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Available Through O2 For £380, Other Carriers To Follow Soon
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- ISIS Receives Food, Ammunition Due To Mistake Of Iraqi Pilots
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money