'Mass Effect 3' Ending: BioWare May Change Ending As Angry Fan Files FTC Complaint, 'Did Not Live Up To Claims'
By Lisa Eadicicco | March 20, 2012 8:57 AM EST
The dissent over the ending of BioWare's "Mass Effect 3" has grown pretty strong, and one fan took the movement to the next level. According to PCMag, a "Mass Effect" player filed a false advertising complaint with the Federal Trade Commission.
"After reading through the list of promises about the ending of the game they made in their advertising campaign and PR interviews, it was clear that the product we got did not live up to any of those claims," read a post on the BioWare forums from user El_Spiko.
The user referenced quotes from BioWare execs before the release that didn't match up with the game's ending, reported PCMag.
"Does all that talk of meaningful player choice, multiple significantly different endings and closure for the characters and series not seem, at the very least, strange?" wrote user cato_84.
FTC rules for Internet advertising prohibits, "unfair or deceptive advertising in any medium. That is, adverting must tell the truth and not mislead consumers," according to the FTC's official website.
"Mass Effect 3" director Casey Hudson responded to the posts, saying that the ending to the space-age series was always meant to be "bittersweet" and that "to do otherwise would betray the agonizing decisions Shepard had to make along the way."
The "Retake Mass Effect" social media revolt combined with this FTC complaint may have just put the game's developers over the edge. According to Gamespot.com, BioWare hasn't ruled out the possibility of revising the game's ending.
"We would like to clarify that we are actively and seriously taking all player feedback into consideration and have ruled nothing out," read a statement from BioWare. "At this time we are still collecting and considering your feedback and have not made a decision regarding requests to change the ending."
However, there are some fans that think all the hype is unnecessary and prefer the ending to stay the way it is.
"Finding all this hoohaa about the mass effect 3 ending a bi ridiculous how entitled must you be to demand it changed?? Can you imagine..."one user posted on Twitter.
"For the love of god Bioware, don't listen to those asking for the ending of Mass Effect 3 to be changed. They are silly people," another fan tweeted.
Others said they were able to see the positive aspects of the highly acclaimed RPG's controversial conclusion.
"I finally read this SPOILER filled reason why Mass Effect 3's ending doesn't need to be changed. Really good," a player posted on Twitter.
It is unclear whether or not the game's creators will actually alter the endings. Despite the disappointment, the "Mass Effect" finale managed to sell $890,000 copies in its first 24 hours.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Immediate Deaths After Ice Bucket Challenge Are Hoaxes Gone Viral: Neck Injury And Hypothermia Killed Two People Performing The Stunt
- Risky Selfies That Were Taken A Few Seconds Before Tragedy Struck
- ISIS Update: Executioner of James Foley with British Accent Identified as ‘John’
- Viral Video Missouri Mall: Back-To-School Promo Of East Hills Mall In Missouri Goes Viral As Terrible Mall Ad [WATCH VIDEO]
- ISIS Beheading US Journalist James Foley Sparks Outrage, Netizens Demand 'All-Out War'
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped