Gold and Silver Climb Higher on Dollar Weakness
By Eric McWhinnie | March 20, 2012 6:08 AM EST
Both precious gained as the U.S. dollar (NYSE:UUP) declined against the euro for the third consecutive trading session. Marc Chandler, global head of currency strategy at Brown Brothers explained, “The fact that the euro held support near $1.30 is important. That is the bottom of the $1.30 to $1.35 trading range that has confined the euro through most of the first quarter. There is scope for the euro test the $1.325-$1.330 area in the days ahead.”
Don’t Miss: Should Investors Sweat Gold’s Losing Streak?
The U.S. dollar index continues to have trouble maintaining a price above 80. Last week, the index closed at 79.78, as consumer sentiment for March and industrial production data for February disappointed investors before the weekend.
In afternoon trading, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) edged .15 percent higher, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) jumped 1.6 percent. Gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) as Goldcorp Inc. (NYSE:GG) traded .40 percent higher, while Newmont Mining (NYSE:NEM) traded flat. Silver miner (NYSEARCA:SIL) Hecla Mining (NYSE:HL) surged more than 3 percent. Silver Wheaton Corp. (NYSE:SLW) and Endeavour Silver (NYSE:EXK) both gained about .40 percent.
According to a Bloomberg survey on Friday, 13 out of 26 analysts expect gold prices to increase this week and four held a neutral stance, the lowest proportion in about two months. This comes a week after Commodity Futures Trading Commission data showed a 20 percent decrease in net long futures positions held by speculators.
Investor Insight: Silver Goes Green
If you would like to receive professional analysis on equity miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
To contact the reporter on this story: Eric McWhinnie at email@example.com
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Damien Hoffman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date