Gold and Silver Climb Higher on Dollar Weakness
By Eric McWhinnie | March 20, 2012 6:08 AM EST
Both precious gained as the U.S. dollar (NYSE:UUP) declined against the euro for the third consecutive trading session. Marc Chandler, global head of currency strategy at Brown Brothers explained, “The fact that the euro held support near $1.30 is important. That is the bottom of the $1.30 to $1.35 trading range that has confined the euro through most of the first quarter. There is scope for the euro test the $1.325-$1.330 area in the days ahead.”
Don’t Miss: Should Investors Sweat Gold’s Losing Streak?
The U.S. dollar index continues to have trouble maintaining a price above 80. Last week, the index closed at 79.78, as consumer sentiment for March and industrial production data for February disappointed investors before the weekend.
In afternoon trading, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) edged .15 percent higher, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) jumped 1.6 percent. Gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) as Goldcorp Inc. (NYSE:GG) traded .40 percent higher, while Newmont Mining (NYSE:NEM) traded flat. Silver miner (NYSEARCA:SIL) Hecla Mining (NYSE:HL) surged more than 3 percent. Silver Wheaton Corp. (NYSE:SLW) and Endeavour Silver (NYSE:EXK) both gained about .40 percent.
According to a Bloomberg survey on Friday, 13 out of 26 analysts expect gold prices to increase this week and four held a neutral stance, the lowest proportion in about two months. This comes a week after Commodity Futures Trading Commission data showed a 20 percent decrease in net long futures positions held by speculators.
Investor Insight: Silver Goes Green
If you would like to receive professional analysis on equity miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
To contact the reporter on this story: Eric McWhinnie at firstname.lastname@example.org
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Damien Hoffman at email@example.com
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Global Markets Overview – July 15, 2014
- Honduran Gold Mine Caves in; 8 Rescued, 3 Remain Trapped (PHOTOS)
- Chinese Govt Tightens Control on Gold to Curb Imports, Could Drop 400T from 2013 – Report
- ANZ Seeks Role in Pilot Global Gold Trading Platform in Shanghai
- US California Couple Sells 1,400 Rare Gold Coins Found in Backyard, Now Millionaires
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]