King Of Tonga Dies in Hong Kong: George Tupou V, 63, Will Be Succeeded By Crown Prince Tupouto'a Lavaka
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | March 20, 2012 4:17 AM EST
King of Tonga, George Tupou V, died on Sunday in Hong Kong at the age of 63. The Tongan government confirmed the death with the media but did not reveal a cause.
Tupou, who played a key role in bringing democratic reformation to the South Pacific nation, died hours after being rushed to the hospital. The Matangi Tonga Online reported that the king's younger brother, Crown Prince Tupouto'a Lavaka, was by his side.
Tupouto'a Lavaka will succeed his brother as he is heir to the throne.
"Tonga has just woken up to the sad news of the passing of King George Tupou V," Paula Ma'u, an official in the Ministry of Information and Communication, told CNN. "We are all in mourning."
The Agence France-Presse reported that the king underwent surgery last year in Los Angeles to remove a kidney after a cancerous tumour was found.
Tupou was a bachelor. He was sworn in as king of Tonga in September 2006 after his father, King Taufa'ahau Tupou IV, died, according to the Global Post.
Before sitting on the throne he was known for his globe-trotting lifestyle and extravagant uniforms.
CNN reported that Pesi Fonua, editor of Matangi Tonga online, said that the Oxford-educated king was respected for the efforts he made to bring democratic reforms and modernize Tongo.
"This king brought in things like mobile phones and other advances that we couldn't dream would come to Tonga, and his push for democracy made a big impact on the people here," Fonua said.
The BBC reported that mourning has begun and that a state funeral is being organized.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Belgium Chocolate Maker ISIS Forced To Change Brand Name To Escape Customer Fury
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS