King Of Tonga Dies in Hong Kong: George Tupou V, 63, Will Be Succeeded By Crown Prince Tupouto'a Lavaka
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | March 20, 2012 4:17 AM EST
King of Tonga, George Tupou V, died on Sunday in Hong Kong at the age of 63. The Tongan government confirmed the death with the media but did not reveal a cause.
Tupou, who played a key role in bringing democratic reformation to the South Pacific nation, died hours after being rushed to the hospital. The Matangi Tonga Online reported that the king's younger brother, Crown Prince Tupouto'a Lavaka, was by his side.
Tupouto'a Lavaka will succeed his brother as he is heir to the throne.
"Tonga has just woken up to the sad news of the passing of King George Tupou V," Paula Ma'u, an official in the Ministry of Information and Communication, told CNN. "We are all in mourning."
The Agence France-Presse reported that the king underwent surgery last year in Los Angeles to remove a kidney after a cancerous tumour was found.
Tupou was a bachelor. He was sworn in as king of Tonga in September 2006 after his father, King Taufa'ahau Tupou IV, died, according to the Global Post.
Before sitting on the throne he was known for his globe-trotting lifestyle and extravagant uniforms.
CNN reported that Pesi Fonua, editor of Matangi Tonga online, said that the Oxford-educated king was respected for the efforts he made to bring democratic reforms and modernize Tongo.
"This king brought in things like mobile phones and other advances that we couldn't dream would come to Tonga, and his push for democracy made a big impact on the people here," Fonua said.
The BBC reported that mourning has begun and that a state funeral is being organized.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border
- iPhone 6 Survives Drop, Both Accidental & Intentional
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?