Apple's Cash Disposition To Be Discussed On Call Monday
By J.J. McGrath | March 19, 2012 1:28 PM EST
Apple Inc. -- the world's most valuable publicly traded company by its market capitalization of $545.97 billion -- will conduct a conference call to announce the outcome of discussions concerning its cash balance on Monday at 9 a.m. EDT.
Tim Cook, Apple's CEO, and Peter Oppenheimer, its chief financial officer, will host the call, according to a statement on the company's website.
Apple made clear it would neither be providing an update on its current quarter nor talking about any topic other than its cash holdings. The company's cash, cash equivalents, and marketable securities were reported to be worth $97.60 billion on Dec. 31, per the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission Form 10-Q it filed on Jan. 25.
At this point, it appears a buyback of Apple shares is less likely than is a dividend on the company's stock. Of course, it could easily do both.
"They should pay a dividend. This is something that large shareholders have been asking for," said Shaw Wu, an analyst at Sterne Agee & Leach Inc., according to Bloomberg News.
Apple's board of directors held a meeting in the past few weeks to discuss the plans, Bloomberg reported, citing Wu, who predicted the company would announce an annual dividend of 2 percent to 3 percent of its share price. Based on its closing price of $585.57 on Friday, this would result in an annual dividend of $11.72 to $17.58.
However, Bloomberg itself suggested Apple might issue a quarterly dividend of $2 a share, which would be comparable with an annual dividend of $8.00 a share. Bloomberg said its estimate takes into account the dividends paid by other major high-technology companies such as the International Business Machines Corp. and Microsoft Corp.
Meanwhile, a massive foray into the mergers-and-acquisitions market by the Cupertino, Calif.-based behemoth seems unlikely to be announced Monday, according to the New York Times DealBook.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- New Malaysia Airlines Caught in Adelaide Airport Latest Scare
- Toyota Tops World Sales of Cars, Sells Over 5K Million Vehicles in First Half of 2014
- Formula 1 Chief Sues Google over Sex Party Pictures
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report
- Instagram's Newest App Bolt Now Available Exclusively in New Zealand, Singapore and South Africa
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools