Copper, oil plunge
June 30, 2010 3:01 PM EST
Waning hopes on the potential power of continued international growth pushed down commodities today, with copper suffering the hardest hit.
A soar in the greenback and a fall in equities urged by weak U.S. and Chinese economic news placed the commodities markets in a sea of red.
For copper, the sell-off repelled earlier optimism over the prospect of markets turning a corner and continuously moving higher, according to Country Hedging analyst Sterling Smith.
In the crude oil market, futures plunged to a two-week low today. Light sweet crude for August delivery was 3 per cent or $US2.31 down at $US75.94 a barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange. This is the undermost level since June 14 and the largest single-day fall since June 4.
Crude values have plunged more than 9 per cent in the second quarter and front-month futures are 6.8 per cent lower from the onset of the year.
The last several weeks have been marked by turmoil across all asset classes due to fear surrounding Europe's sovereign debt trouble.
Analysts said today's movement, however, felt more like a capitulation to worries that the second half of 2010 would not display the development investors were looking forward to.
"This feels more like economic uncertainty and the idea of seeing future slowdowns," Mr Smith said.
The lack of certainty was stoked by reports that the Conference Board corrected its leading indicator for China's economy, updating it down to show 0.3 per cent growth in April from 1.7 per cent earlier due to a calculation error.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates