NCAA Tournament Bracket 2012: School Shuts Down Pool Created By 11-Year-Old Max Kohll [VIDEO]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | March 18, 2012 3:22 AM EST
An elementary school in Omaha, Neb., had to shut down a 2012 NCAA tournament pool created by 11-year-old Max Kohll.
Kohll, a fifth-grader, was so certain that the North Carolina Tar Heels are going to win this year that he organized his own pool at the Columbian Elementary School this week, telling friends to fill out their brackets, the Omaha World-Herald reported. Each also was to bring a $5 entry fee to school, with the winner getting half the pot while the second- and third-place finishers were to have shared the rest, according to the report.
Kohll got his entry fee from mom, Janet Kohll, as a loan.
"I just decided to do it," the boy told television talk-show host Jimmy Kimmel. "I just got the idea." He also said a lot of the students were interested, but then some dropped out because they must have gotten scared.
Tuesday morning, Max Kohll found himself in Principal Kathy Nelson's office, and his mother was told about the pool. The principal also warned the fifth-grader and the class about gambling.
"Someone must have told on me," Kohll told Kimmel when asked about how the principal found out.
When asked if his parents were angry when about his gambling at school, Kohll said, "Oh, they knew, and they didn't care. They knew before I went to school."
The Omaha World-Herald reported that the boy's mom had asked him, "Who is holding the money?" To which he replied that he would.
"I didn't even blink!" Janet Kohll said. "I make sure I don't send plastic knives to school in his backpack. I never thought about gambling."
Although Max Kohll's bracket was a bust at school, he is still betting on his team in the free Kohll family pool, which was organized by his 8-year-old brother, Leo.
His mother and dad, David Kohll, co-owner of Kohll's Pharmacy, have already filled out brackets, according to the Omaha World-Herald.
Max Kohll said he would like to be an athlete or pharmacist when he is older.
Watch the "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" interview below:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues