Gold and Silver Quiet After Inflation Report
By Eric McWhinnie | March 17, 2012 6:17 AM EST
On Friday, gold futures for April delivery edged $3.70 lower to settle at $1,655.80 per ounce, while silver futures decreased 12 cents to close at $32.60. Both precious metals finished the week lower, despite the most recent inflation report.
The cost of living in the United States increased in February by the most in 10 months. The Labor Department reported that the consumer-price index, which grossly under estimates real inflation, increased a seasonally adjusted 0.4 percent in February from the prior month. Compared to a year ago, consumer prices jumped 2.9 percent. Energy costs contributed much to the increase in living costs, with gasoline prices surging 6 percent, the biggest jump in more than a year.
Don’t Miss: Gold and Silver Dividends Are Getting Physical
“Consumer prices are accelerating, and inflation expectations are higher still,” said Adrian Ash, head of research at BullionVault. “Together with bargain-hunting by Asian consumers, that’s likely to put a floor under gold soon enough. People buy gold when they fear inflation ahead.”
In afternoon trading, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) traded flat, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) gained .40 percent. Gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such as Newmont Mining (NYSE:NEM) and Yamana Gold (NYSE:AUY) both edged slightly lower, while Goldcorp. Inc. (NYSE:GG) dropped almost 1 percent. Silver miners (NYSEARCA:SIL) such as Hecla Mining (NYSE:HL) and Silvercorp Metals Inc. (NYSE:SVM) both gained more than 1 percent.
Investor Insight: Should Investors Sweat Gold’s Losing Streak?
If you would like to receive professional analysis on equity miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
To contact the reporter on this story: Eric McWhinnie at firstname.lastname@example.org
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Damien Hoffman at email@example.com
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories