Gold and Silver Quiet After Inflation Report
By Eric McWhinnie | March 17, 2012 6:17 AM EST
On Friday, gold futures for April delivery edged $3.70 lower to settle at $1,655.80 per ounce, while silver futures decreased 12 cents to close at $32.60. Both precious metals finished the week lower, despite the most recent inflation report.
The cost of living in the United States increased in February by the most in 10 months. The Labor Department reported that the consumer-price index, which grossly under estimates real inflation, increased a seasonally adjusted 0.4 percent in February from the prior month. Compared to a year ago, consumer prices jumped 2.9 percent. Energy costs contributed much to the increase in living costs, with gasoline prices surging 6 percent, the biggest jump in more than a year.
Don’t Miss: Gold and Silver Dividends Are Getting Physical
“Consumer prices are accelerating, and inflation expectations are higher still,” said Adrian Ash, head of research at BullionVault. “Together with bargain-hunting by Asian consumers, that’s likely to put a floor under gold soon enough. People buy gold when they fear inflation ahead.”
In afternoon trading, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) traded flat, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) gained .40 percent. Gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such as Newmont Mining (NYSE:NEM) and Yamana Gold (NYSE:AUY) both edged slightly lower, while Goldcorp. Inc. (NYSE:GG) dropped almost 1 percent. Silver miners (NYSEARCA:SIL) such as Hecla Mining (NYSE:HL) and Silvercorp Metals Inc. (NYSE:SVM) both gained more than 1 percent.
Investor Insight: Should Investors Sweat Gold’s Losing Streak?
If you would like to receive professional analysis on equity miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
To contact the reporter on this story: Eric McWhinnie at firstname.lastname@example.org
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Damien Hoffman at email@example.com
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation