Gold and Silver Quiet After Inflation Report
By Eric McWhinnie | March 17, 2012 6:17 AM EST
On Friday, gold futures for April delivery edged $3.70 lower to settle at $1,655.80 per ounce, while silver futures decreased 12 cents to close at $32.60. Both precious metals finished the week lower, despite the most recent inflation report.
The cost of living in the United States increased in February by the most in 10 months. The Labor Department reported that the consumer-price index, which grossly under estimates real inflation, increased a seasonally adjusted 0.4 percent in February from the prior month. Compared to a year ago, consumer prices jumped 2.9 percent. Energy costs contributed much to the increase in living costs, with gasoline prices surging 6 percent, the biggest jump in more than a year.
Don’t Miss: Gold and Silver Dividends Are Getting Physical
“Consumer prices are accelerating, and inflation expectations are higher still,” said Adrian Ash, head of research at BullionVault. “Together with bargain-hunting by Asian consumers, that’s likely to put a floor under gold soon enough. People buy gold when they fear inflation ahead.”
In afternoon trading, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) traded flat, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) gained .40 percent. Gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such as Newmont Mining (NYSE:NEM) and Yamana Gold (NYSE:AUY) both edged slightly lower, while Goldcorp. Inc. (NYSE:GG) dropped almost 1 percent. Silver miners (NYSEARCA:SIL) such as Hecla Mining (NYSE:HL) and Silvercorp Metals Inc. (NYSE:SVM) both gained more than 1 percent.
Investor Insight: Should Investors Sweat Gold’s Losing Streak?
If you would like to receive professional analysis on equity miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
To contact the reporter on this story: Eric McWhinnie at email@example.com
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Damien Hoffman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Global Markets Overview – July 15, 2014
- Honduran Gold Mine Caves in; 8 Rescued, 3 Remain Trapped (PHOTOS)
- Chinese Govt Tightens Control on Gold to Curb Imports, Could Drop 400T from 2013 – Report
- ANZ Seeks Role in Pilot Global Gold Trading Platform in Shanghai
- US California Couple Sells 1,400 Rare Gold Coins Found in Backyard, Now Millionaires
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon