Gold and Silver Quiet After Inflation Report
By Eric McWhinnie | March 17, 2012 6:17 AM EST
On Friday, gold futures for April delivery edged $3.70 lower to settle at $1,655.80 per ounce, while silver futures decreased 12 cents to close at $32.60. Both precious metals finished the week lower, despite the most recent inflation report.
The cost of living in the United States increased in February by the most in 10 months. The Labor Department reported that the consumer-price index, which grossly under estimates real inflation, increased a seasonally adjusted 0.4 percent in February from the prior month. Compared to a year ago, consumer prices jumped 2.9 percent. Energy costs contributed much to the increase in living costs, with gasoline prices surging 6 percent, the biggest jump in more than a year.
Don’t Miss: Gold and Silver Dividends Are Getting Physical
“Consumer prices are accelerating, and inflation expectations are higher still,” said Adrian Ash, head of research at BullionVault. “Together with bargain-hunting by Asian consumers, that’s likely to put a floor under gold soon enough. People buy gold when they fear inflation ahead.”
In afternoon trading, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) traded flat, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) gained .40 percent. Gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such as Newmont Mining (NYSE:NEM) and Yamana Gold (NYSE:AUY) both edged slightly lower, while Goldcorp. Inc. (NYSE:GG) dropped almost 1 percent. Silver miners (NYSEARCA:SIL) such as Hecla Mining (NYSE:HL) and Silvercorp Metals Inc. (NYSE:SVM) both gained more than 1 percent.
Investor Insight: Should Investors Sweat Gold’s Losing Streak?
If you would like to receive professional analysis on equity miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
To contact the reporter on this story: Eric McWhinnie at firstname.lastname@example.org
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Damien Hoffman at email@example.com
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports