Gold and Silver Quiet After Inflation Report
By Eric McWhinnie | March 17, 2012 6:17 AM EST
On Friday, gold futures for April delivery edged $3.70 lower to settle at $1,655.80 per ounce, while silver futures decreased 12 cents to close at $32.60. Both precious metals finished the week lower, despite the most recent inflation report.
The cost of living in the United States increased in February by the most in 10 months. The Labor Department reported that the consumer-price index, which grossly under estimates real inflation, increased a seasonally adjusted 0.4 percent in February from the prior month. Compared to a year ago, consumer prices jumped 2.9 percent. Energy costs contributed much to the increase in living costs, with gasoline prices surging 6 percent, the biggest jump in more than a year.
Don’t Miss: Gold and Silver Dividends Are Getting Physical
“Consumer prices are accelerating, and inflation expectations are higher still,” said Adrian Ash, head of research at BullionVault. “Together with bargain-hunting by Asian consumers, that’s likely to put a floor under gold soon enough. People buy gold when they fear inflation ahead.”
In afternoon trading, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) traded flat, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) gained .40 percent. Gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such as Newmont Mining (NYSE:NEM) and Yamana Gold (NYSE:AUY) both edged slightly lower, while Goldcorp. Inc. (NYSE:GG) dropped almost 1 percent. Silver miners (NYSEARCA:SIL) such as Hecla Mining (NYSE:HL) and Silvercorp Metals Inc. (NYSE:SVM) both gained more than 1 percent.
Investor Insight: Should Investors Sweat Gold’s Losing Streak?
If you would like to receive professional analysis on equity miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
To contact the reporter on this story: Eric McWhinnie at firstname.lastname@example.org
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Damien Hoffman at email@example.com
Join the Conversation
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan