4 Million Americans at Risk of Heavy Flooding by the End of 21st Century: Study
By Aditi Mathur | March 16, 2012 1:37 AM EST
The researchers of Climate Central and the University of Arizona has predicted that about four million Americans could be at the risk of severe flooding by the end of 21st century due to unexpected climate changes and sea level rise.
According to the scientists, the sea levels around the country is rising abruptly and since about 32,000 sq km of land lies within one meter of the high tide line, about 1.5 percent U.S. population living in 2.1 million housing units could be at the risk of rigorous flooding and destruction, TG Daily reported.
"The sea level rise taking place right now is quickly making extreme coastal floods more common, increasing risk for millions of people where they live and work," Ben Strauss, a researcher at Climate Central, said.
Looking at the present scenario, the researchers foresee over a meter rise in the sea level over the century.
Also, the new model built to estimate the extent of flooding risk and global sea level rise in future shows that almost 55 locations might see frequent storm-driven high water levels by the middle of the century.
"Sea level rise makes every single coastal storm flood higher. With so many communities concentrated on US coasts, the odds for major damage get bigger every year," Strauss said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Complex Alien Molecule May Offer Hints At Origin Of Life
- Harry Potter's Invisibility Cloak: New York Scientists Unveil A Cloaking Device [Watch Video]
- Boy Bitten By A Snake During A Visit To The Botanical Garden In Melbourne
- Eerie Reddish Glow Of October 8 Total Lunar Eclipse – Astronomer Reminds Aussies To Enjoy Photo Opp
- Australia's Rising Temperatures Have 'Definite' Links To Global Warming
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate