4 Million Americans at Risk of Heavy Flooding by the End of 21st Century: Study
By Aditi Mathur | March 16, 2012 1:37 AM EST
The researchers of Climate Central and the University of Arizona has predicted that about four million Americans could be at the risk of severe flooding by the end of 21st century due to unexpected climate changes and sea level rise.
According to the scientists, the sea levels around the country is rising abruptly and since about 32,000 sq km of land lies within one meter of the high tide line, about 1.5 percent U.S. population living in 2.1 million housing units could be at the risk of rigorous flooding and destruction, TG Daily reported.
"The sea level rise taking place right now is quickly making extreme coastal floods more common, increasing risk for millions of people where they live and work," Ben Strauss, a researcher at Climate Central, said.
Looking at the present scenario, the researchers foresee over a meter rise in the sea level over the century.
Also, the new model built to estimate the extent of flooding risk and global sea level rise in future shows that almost 55 locations might see frequent storm-driven high water levels by the middle of the century.
"Sea level rise makes every single coastal storm flood higher. With so many communities concentrated on US coasts, the odds for major damage get bigger every year," Strauss said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Army Of Moonwalkers May Soon Be Ready As Michael Jackson Reportedly Cloned Himself Before Death
- Yuka, A Woolly Mammoth, Is Just 39,000 Years Young, And Wears A Reddish Coat
- Social Media Conspiracy Fires Up Due To Ancient Engraving On Mars [Watch Video]
- Aussies Love Robots More Than The Japanese Do
- Nanoplug Invisible Hearing Aid Comes With High-Tech Features And Nano-Battery That Recharges Instantaneously
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery