4 Million Americans at Risk of Heavy Flooding by the End of 21st Century: Study
By Aditi Mathur | March 16, 2012 1:37 AM EST
The researchers of Climate Central and the University of Arizona has predicted that about four million Americans could be at the risk of severe flooding by the end of 21st century due to unexpected climate changes and sea level rise.
According to the scientists, the sea levels around the country is rising abruptly and since about 32,000 sq km of land lies within one meter of the high tide line, about 1.5 percent U.S. population living in 2.1 million housing units could be at the risk of rigorous flooding and destruction, TG Daily reported.
"The sea level rise taking place right now is quickly making extreme coastal floods more common, increasing risk for millions of people where they live and work," Ben Strauss, a researcher at Climate Central, said.
Looking at the present scenario, the researchers foresee over a meter rise in the sea level over the century.
Also, the new model built to estimate the extent of flooding risk and global sea level rise in future shows that almost 55 locations might see frequent storm-driven high water levels by the middle of the century.
"Sea level rise makes every single coastal storm flood higher. With so many communities concentrated on US coasts, the odds for major damage get bigger every year," Strauss said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Scientists Make Astonishing Discovery Of An Invisible Shield Protecting Earth From Devastation--Report
- "Secret Space Programme": UFO Conspiracy Theorists Believe That NASA Is In Constant Touch With Aliens
- 'Meatspace': Lamb Chop Sent Into Space Returns To Earth [Watch Video]
- Dinosaur Discovery 2014: New Dinosaur Species Found Inside A Canadian Museum
- Australians Could Expect To See 30-40 Meteors An Hour During Geminid Shower On Dec 13-14
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Lowe's Black Friday 2014 Deals Include Up To 40% Off On Select Major Appliances, Plus Free Shipping For Orders Of $19 Or More