4 Million Americans at Risk of Heavy Flooding by the End of 21st Century: Study
By Aditi Mathur | March 16, 2012 1:37 AM EST
The researchers of Climate Central and the University of Arizona has predicted that about four million Americans could be at the risk of severe flooding by the end of 21st century due to unexpected climate changes and sea level rise.
According to the scientists, the sea levels around the country is rising abruptly and since about 32,000 sq km of land lies within one meter of the high tide line, about 1.5 percent U.S. population living in 2.1 million housing units could be at the risk of rigorous flooding and destruction, TG Daily reported.
"The sea level rise taking place right now is quickly making extreme coastal floods more common, increasing risk for millions of people where they live and work," Ben Strauss, a researcher at Climate Central, said.
Looking at the present scenario, the researchers foresee over a meter rise in the sea level over the century.
Also, the new model built to estimate the extent of flooding risk and global sea level rise in future shows that almost 55 locations might see frequent storm-driven high water levels by the middle of the century.
"Sea level rise makes every single coastal storm flood higher. With so many communities concentrated on US coasts, the odds for major damage get bigger every year," Strauss said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border
- iPhone 6 Survives Drop, Both Accidental & Intentional