Gillian Anderson Bisexual? Actress Reveals Past Relationships in Out Interview
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | March 15, 2012 6:02 AM EST
Gillian Anderson's personal life is making headlines this week, thanks to a new and revealing interview with Out Magazine. The actress, who played Scully on "The X-Files" for nine seasons and two films alongside David Duchovny, is bisexual.
"Yeah, yeah, well it's . . . you know, I'm old enough that I can talk about that," Anderson, 43, told Out, referring to a "long" relationship she had with a girl during her high school days.
"If I had thought that I was 100 percent gay, would it have been a different experience for me? Would it have been a bigger deal if shame had been attached to it and all those things that become huge life-altering issues for youngsters in that situation? It's possible that my attitude around it came, on some level, from knowing that I still liked boys," she added.
In high school, Anderson was apparently voted "Most Bizarre" and "Most Likely To Be Arrested."
"Based on how I chose to look, dress, behave, you know -- the relationships I was in at the time were freaking people out," she said, adding that she once dated a "punk rock drug addict" and someone who was "way, way older than me."
The Chicago native, who was previously married to TV art director Cylde Klotz for three years and documentary filmmaker Julian Ozanne for two years, is currently going on six years strong with partner Mark Griffiths. Anderson has three children (one daughter with Klothz and two sons with Griffiths).
Since the last "X-Files" film, "The X-Files: I Want to Believe," which came out in 2008, Anderson has been sticking to small film roles and mini-series, including the three-part adaptation of "Great Expectations" on the BBC. (The show will air in the US on PBS in April).
Playing the older Miss Havisham (which was played by Anne Bancroft in the 1998 film starring Ethan Hawke and Gwyneth Paltrow), Anderson apparently received a lot of attention, good and bad.
"I'm aware that there's mixed conversation about my age and about the way I chose to play her . . . I have a weird relationship to all that stuff. I get a little grin about it. I feel a smile coming on, and I wonder how much of that is a pleasurable 'f**k you,'" she told Out.
All noise aside, the BBC seemed to be pleased with Anderson's performance. So much that the network hired her again, this time playing the lead in "The Fall," a five-part series about murder investigations in Belfast.
"Great Expectations" will air on PBS Apr. 1 and 8 at 9 p.m. EST.
For more of Gillian Anderson's interview with Out, visit the magazine's website.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Joan Rivers Left $150 Million Legacy To Her Only Child, Care For Her Four Pooches Included In Her Will
- 'Star Wars 7': Luke Skywalker Exiled, Turns Into Powerful Wizard
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice’: Leaked Videos Show Batmobile In Motion; Vehicle Reportedly 'Stolen'
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’: Black Panther Powerful Than Ultron, Can Be New Iron Man
- Kendall Jenner Distances Self From The Kardashians, Prefers Kim Kardashian West To Be Absent In Her Modelling Shows
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date