Gillian Anderson Bisexual? Actress Reveals Past Relationships in Out Interview
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | March 15, 2012 6:02 AM EST
Gillian Anderson's personal life is making headlines this week, thanks to a new and revealing interview with Out Magazine. The actress, who played Scully on "The X-Files" for nine seasons and two films alongside David Duchovny, is bisexual.
"Yeah, yeah, well it's . . . you know, I'm old enough that I can talk about that," Anderson, 43, told Out, referring to a "long" relationship she had with a girl during her high school days.
"If I had thought that I was 100 percent gay, would it have been a different experience for me? Would it have been a bigger deal if shame had been attached to it and all those things that become huge life-altering issues for youngsters in that situation? It's possible that my attitude around it came, on some level, from knowing that I still liked boys," she added.
In high school, Anderson was apparently voted "Most Bizarre" and "Most Likely To Be Arrested."
"Based on how I chose to look, dress, behave, you know -- the relationships I was in at the time were freaking people out," she said, adding that she once dated a "punk rock drug addict" and someone who was "way, way older than me."
The Chicago native, who was previously married to TV art director Cylde Klotz for three years and documentary filmmaker Julian Ozanne for two years, is currently going on six years strong with partner Mark Griffiths. Anderson has three children (one daughter with Klothz and two sons with Griffiths).
Since the last "X-Files" film, "The X-Files: I Want to Believe," which came out in 2008, Anderson has been sticking to small film roles and mini-series, including the three-part adaptation of "Great Expectations" on the BBC. (The show will air in the US on PBS in April).
Playing the older Miss Havisham (which was played by Anne Bancroft in the 1998 film starring Ethan Hawke and Gwyneth Paltrow), Anderson apparently received a lot of attention, good and bad.
"I'm aware that there's mixed conversation about my age and about the way I chose to play her . . . I have a weird relationship to all that stuff. I get a little grin about it. I feel a smile coming on, and I wonder how much of that is a pleasurable 'f**k you,'" she told Out.
All noise aside, the BBC seemed to be pleased with Anderson's performance. So much that the network hired her again, this time playing the lead in "The Fall," a five-part series about murder investigations in Belfast.
"Great Expectations" will air on PBS Apr. 1 and 8 at 9 p.m. EST.
For more of Gillian Anderson's interview with Out, visit the magazine's website.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jennifer Lawrence’s Nude Photos and Videos Leaked by 4Chan Hacker; Ariana Grande, Lea Michele, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Kate Upton’s Also Included
- Celebrities’ Leaked Nude Photos: Master-List Printed, Selena Gomez, Kim Kardashian, Kate Upton, Jennifer Lawrence, Kaley Cuoco, Rihanna, More Names On It
- Nude Photos Leaked: Mary Elizabeth Winstead Says Nude Photos Hers, Faces Backlash, Takes Twitter Break
- ‘The Leftovers’: Episode 10 On Hold, Renewed For Season 2, Season 1 Finale Synopsis And Preview [VIDEO]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans