Gillian Anderson Bisexual? Actress Reveals Past Relationships in Out Interview
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | March 15, 2012 6:02 AM EST
Gillian Anderson's personal life is making headlines this week, thanks to a new and revealing interview with Out Magazine. The actress, who played Scully on "The X-Files" for nine seasons and two films alongside David Duchovny, is bisexual.
"Yeah, yeah, well it's . . . you know, I'm old enough that I can talk about that," Anderson, 43, told Out, referring to a "long" relationship she had with a girl during her high school days.
"If I had thought that I was 100 percent gay, would it have been a different experience for me? Would it have been a bigger deal if shame had been attached to it and all those things that become huge life-altering issues for youngsters in that situation? It's possible that my attitude around it came, on some level, from knowing that I still liked boys," she added.
In high school, Anderson was apparently voted "Most Bizarre" and "Most Likely To Be Arrested."
"Based on how I chose to look, dress, behave, you know -- the relationships I was in at the time were freaking people out," she said, adding that she once dated a "punk rock drug addict" and someone who was "way, way older than me."
The Chicago native, who was previously married to TV art director Cylde Klotz for three years and documentary filmmaker Julian Ozanne for two years, is currently going on six years strong with partner Mark Griffiths. Anderson has three children (one daughter with Klothz and two sons with Griffiths).
Since the last "X-Files" film, "The X-Files: I Want to Believe," which came out in 2008, Anderson has been sticking to small film roles and mini-series, including the three-part adaptation of "Great Expectations" on the BBC. (The show will air in the US on PBS in April).
Playing the older Miss Havisham (which was played by Anne Bancroft in the 1998 film starring Ethan Hawke and Gwyneth Paltrow), Anderson apparently received a lot of attention, good and bad.
"I'm aware that there's mixed conversation about my age and about the way I chose to play her . . . I have a weird relationship to all that stuff. I get a little grin about it. I feel a smile coming on, and I wonder how much of that is a pleasurable 'f**k you,'" she told Out.
All noise aside, the BBC seemed to be pleased with Anderson's performance. So much that the network hired her again, this time playing the lead in "The Fall," a five-part series about murder investigations in Belfast.
"Great Expectations" will air on PBS Apr. 1 and 8 at 9 p.m. EST.
For more of Gillian Anderson's interview with Out, visit the magazine's website.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Bachelorette 2014, Bachelor 2015 Spoilers: Andi Dorfman Hints at Next Bachelor; Find Out What He Thinks About the Job
- Castle Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic says ‘Back in the Saddle’, Beckett, Castle Romance to Grow Stronger
- Selena Gomez & Andre Hamann Update: Andre Calls Selena Stunning, Admits Crush on Singer
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June