Yahoo Stock Valued Too Cheaply By Market: Dan Loeb
By Hao Li | March 14, 2012 9:28 AM EST
Loeb, whose fund Third Point Avenue owns a significant stake in Yahoo, made his case in his fourth quarter letter to investors.
The value of Yahoo can be broken down to three components: its core U.S. business, its 35 percent stake in Yahoo Japan and its 40 percent stake in Alibaba, a Chinese e-commerce company.
Yahoo's stake in Alibaba alone, however, may be worth close to what Yahoo is trading at right now, which is around $14 per share.
Loeb cited a November 2011 report from UBS that valued Yahoo's stake in Alibaba at $13 per share. In December 2011, Bloomberg News also reported that Yahoo was considering a deal that would value its Alibaba and Yahoo Japan stakes around $14 per share. In the deal, Yahoo would retain a 15 percent stake in Alibaba and sell its entire Yahoo Japan stake.
Loeb said he sees "tremendous upside in just the Alibaba piece of the Yahoo puzzle."
He touted the company's leading position in the Chinese B2B e-commerce market, C2C e-commerce market, B2C e-commerce market and online payment market.
Moreover, China's internet user base, already the largest in the world, is expected to turn into "the world's next e-commerce superpower," surpassing the U.S. e-commerce in transaction value by 2015, according to a report from the Boston Consulting Group.
Alibaba's 2011 revenues, meanwhile, has grown to $2.3 billion, up 77 percent from last year, reported Eric Jackson of Forbes.
"Wall Street has continued to neglect the underlying Alibaba valuation story and the press makes too little of it...The scale and velocity of China's e-commerce opportunity, when combined with Alibaba's dominant position, make for a very compelling story," wrote Loeb.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- California Fruits Recalled in USA and Canada for Possible Listeria Contamination
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier Losing $1.6 Million/Day; Crisis Management Experts Suggest Hiring Risk Expert as CEO
- The IBM and Apple Merger: Will it Spell Trouble to Rival Companies
- CBA, NAB, Westpac in Fixed Rate War Offering Below 5% Interest
- KFC & McDonald’s Accused of Serving ‘Expired’ Meat to Customers
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales