Yahoo Stock Valued Too Cheaply By Market: Dan Loeb
By Hao Li | March 14, 2012 9:28 AM EST
Loeb, whose fund Third Point Avenue owns a significant stake in Yahoo, made his case in his fourth quarter letter to investors.
The value of Yahoo can be broken down to three components: its core U.S. business, its 35 percent stake in Yahoo Japan and its 40 percent stake in Alibaba, a Chinese e-commerce company.
Yahoo's stake in Alibaba alone, however, may be worth close to what Yahoo is trading at right now, which is around $14 per share.
Loeb cited a November 2011 report from UBS that valued Yahoo's stake in Alibaba at $13 per share. In December 2011, Bloomberg News also reported that Yahoo was considering a deal that would value its Alibaba and Yahoo Japan stakes around $14 per share. In the deal, Yahoo would retain a 15 percent stake in Alibaba and sell its entire Yahoo Japan stake.
Loeb said he sees "tremendous upside in just the Alibaba piece of the Yahoo puzzle."
He touted the company's leading position in the Chinese B2B e-commerce market, C2C e-commerce market, B2C e-commerce market and online payment market.
Moreover, China's internet user base, already the largest in the world, is expected to turn into "the world's next e-commerce superpower," surpassing the U.S. e-commerce in transaction value by 2015, according to a report from the Boston Consulting Group.
Alibaba's 2011 revenues, meanwhile, has grown to $2.3 billion, up 77 percent from last year, reported Eric Jackson of Forbes.
"Wall Street has continued to neglect the underlying Alibaba valuation story and the press makes too little of it...The scale and velocity of China's e-commerce opportunity, when combined with Alibaba's dominant position, make for a very compelling story," wrote Loeb.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Gets Investment Advice from Warren Buffett What to Do With Millions
- Former U.S. VP Al Gore Backs Ovo Energy by Investing £8 Million Before IPO
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- Study Shows Gap Between What Advisors Say and What Resonates with Investors
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Google Nexus 6 Release May Be the New Google Nexus X Smartphone as New Details Emerge