Govt to allow market prices for diesel: PM
June 30, 2010 1:04 AM EST
The government will ease controls on diesel prices, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said, signalling the government's determination to continue energy-pricing reforms despite strong protests from opposition parties.
Last week, the government allowed market-determined prices for petrol, which accounts for about 10 percent of the oil sold in Asia's third-largest consumer.
"With regard to petroleum prices, the fact (is) that petrol prices have been set free, the same is going to be done to the diesel prices...," a government statement quoted Singh as telling reporters while returning from the G20 nations summit in Toronto.
Analysts say market prices for fuel may stoke inflation but Singh said the government was concerned that fuel subsidies would hurt the fiscal situation.
"What we need is to do the right things (for) our country. The subsidies for the petroleum products have reached a level which is not connected to sound financial management of our economy," Singh said.
"So it is taking that into account that this decision has been taken to put some burden on the common people, but I think it is manageable."
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers