US Airways Buys Domain Names, Hinting At Merger With American
By Roland Li | March 14, 2012 1:30 AM EST
US Airways Group Inc. (NYSE: LCC), the fifth-biggest U.S. airline by traffic, has registered a slew of Internet-domain names that suggest a merger effort with AMR Corp., parent of American Airlines, is imminent.
The domains include American-USAirways.com, USandAA.com and Oneworldoneairline.com.
"The purchase of these domain names, along with any potential transaction names, is simply a step to ensure others do not use our marks in a way that might negatively impact our brand," US Airways said in a statement, according to the Wall Street Journal.
Domain Name Wire reported the registrations on Sunday.
US Airways said in January that it was assessing a bid for AMR, which filed for bankruptcy protection in November. It hired Milstein & Co., Barclays PLC and law firm Latham & Watkins LLP to advise a potential merger.
American is the country's No. 3 airline by traffic, and a merger of US Airways and AMR would create an entity that would rival United Continental (NYSE: UAL) is size.
Delta Air Lines Inc. (NYSE: DAL), the second-biggest U.S. carrier, and private-equity firm TPH Capital are also a potential bidder for AMR.
Both US Airways and Delta beat forecasts for their fourth-quarter earnings, as higher fares and fuller planes overcame rising fuel prices. US Airways reported a net profit of 13 cents a share, beating a projected 3 cents a share. The airline saw revenue increase by 8.5 percent, while average fuel price rose 20 percent. Delta had a net profit of 45 cents per share, beating a 38-cents-a-share forecast.
"The airlines are not flooded with surplus seats," Bob McAdoo, a senior research analyst at Avondale Partners, said in January.
Shares of US Airways were up 12 cents to $7.01 Tuesday afternoon. Delta was up 10 cents to $9.29.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Air Canada Expands Vancouver Boeing 787 Dreamliners To Beijing, Seoul, Shanghai, Tokyo-Narita Routes
- Canada Consumer Alert: Tim Hortons Prices Of Coffee, Sandwiches To Go Up Effective Nov 26
- Doomsday Seed Vault Safeguards More Marijuana Seeds
- Travel Alert: Malaysia’s AirAsia Cuts Number Of Australian Flights
- Product Recall: Graco Recalls Baby Strollers in Canada, U.S. Due To Amputation Risks
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports