New iPad Missing Siri: Why Is It Not On The Latest Apple Device?
By Amanda Remling | March 13, 2012 10:51 PM EST
Siri needs an active network connection to work properly and the majority of Siri's software isn't stored locally but on Apple's servers, according to DailyFinance.com, and while a smartphone will have a constant connection, the new iPad may not.
In a January interview with The Daily Beast, Wozniak said "I used to ask Siri, 'What are the five biggest lakes in California?' and it would come back with the answer. Now it just misses. It gives me real estate listings. I used to ask, 'What are the prime numbers greater than 87?' and it would answer. Now instead of getting prime numbers, I get listings for prime rib, or prime real estate."
Wozniak also discussed the necessity of a reliable connection to the servers. He said while the iPhone 4S should always have a data connection, Siri sometimes can't connect over the Internet.
So if a reliable Siri can't be guaranteed on a product with a definite data connection like the iPhone 4S, how could it be included on the latest iPad, which doesn't come with a constant connection?
While Siri has been making headlines for its exclusion from the new iPad, a New York man is also suing Apple over "misleading" ads promoting the virtual personal assistant's capabilities. According to PCMag, Frank Fazio filed a class-action suit on March 6 in San Jose, Calif., claiming that Siri "doesn't come close to performing the functions as well or as consistently as Apple advertises it doing." Fazio's suit also claims can "dramatically increase" monthly data usage of iPhone 4S users and push them over their monthly data plans.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft
- Nuclear War: Putin Certain To Launch Battle To Avoid Corruption Charges, Whistleblower Claims