Liverpool Transfer News: PSG Chairman Says “We Want Luis Suarez”
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | March 8, 2012 5:35 AM EST
Mega-rich French Ligue 1 leaders Paris Saint-Germain are set to pursue the signing over Liverpool's controversial star Luis Suarez this summer, according to the Daily Mirror.
Nasser Al-Khelaifi, chairman of Qatar Sports Investment, who bought PSG last year, said that Suarez was one of a number of top players the club was targeting as they look to assemble a squad for a likely assault in the Champions League next season.
"We have clear targets in mind. It is true that we want Luis Suarez and [Real Madrid striker] Gonzalo Higuain," he said, according to the Mirror.
"The players we've approached so far were interested in the project PSG. We won't be spending cash without thinking. We only go after the players who are committed to our project," he also commented, as reported by Goal.com.
"Our priorities are a better training center, a youth academy that will help us develop the new [Lionel] Messi. And we want to stay at the Parc des Princes which represents our history."
The Qatari owners have so far invested hefty sums in attracting big-name players like Argentine playmaker Javier Pastore, as well as former Chelsea and Milan manager Carlo Ancelotti.
And Al-Khelaifi also said that they are also interested in former Liverpool striker Fernando Torres. The Spanish international has failed to rediscover the explosive form he displayed at Anfield since his £50 million to Fernando Torres over a year ago.
While Suarez has generally been regarded as a hit since his arrival from Ajax last January, a big-money offer from PSG would certainly test Liverpool's resolve to hold on the forward. Despite Suarez's overall positive contribution to the Liverpool side, the Uruguayan has only scored six goals in the Premier League this season.
Suarez has also courted controversy after being found guilty of racially abusing Manchester United's Patrice Evra. Despite public backing from manager Kenny Dalglish, Suarez was forced to apologize after declining to shake Evra's hand when Liverpool and United met in the Premier League last month.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Rhonda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans