Liverpool Transfer News: PSG Chairman Says “We Want Luis Suarez”
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | March 8, 2012 5:35 AM EST
Mega-rich French Ligue 1 leaders Paris Saint-Germain are set to pursue the signing over Liverpool's controversial star Luis Suarez this summer, according to the Daily Mirror.
Nasser Al-Khelaifi, chairman of Qatar Sports Investment, who bought PSG last year, said that Suarez was one of a number of top players the club was targeting as they look to assemble a squad for a likely assault in the Champions League next season.
"We have clear targets in mind. It is true that we want Luis Suarez and [Real Madrid striker] Gonzalo Higuain," he said, according to the Mirror.
"The players we've approached so far were interested in the project PSG. We won't be spending cash without thinking. We only go after the players who are committed to our project," he also commented, as reported by Goal.com.
"Our priorities are a better training center, a youth academy that will help us develop the new [Lionel] Messi. And we want to stay at the Parc des Princes which represents our history."
The Qatari owners have so far invested hefty sums in attracting big-name players like Argentine playmaker Javier Pastore, as well as former Chelsea and Milan manager Carlo Ancelotti.
And Al-Khelaifi also said that they are also interested in former Liverpool striker Fernando Torres. The Spanish international has failed to rediscover the explosive form he displayed at Anfield since his £50 million to Fernando Torres over a year ago.
While Suarez has generally been regarded as a hit since his arrival from Ajax last January, a big-money offer from PSG would certainly test Liverpool's resolve to hold on the forward. Despite Suarez's overall positive contribution to the Liverpool side, the Uruguayan has only scored six goals in the Premier League this season.
Suarez has also courted controversy after being found guilty of racially abusing Manchester United's Patrice Evra. Despite public backing from manager Kenny Dalglish, Suarez was forced to apologize after declining to shake Evra's hand when Liverpool and United met in the Premier League last month.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics Schedule & Results
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]
- Sony Xperia Z3 Specs Leaked with More Killer Features Ahead of Samsung Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6