Liverpool Transfer News: PSG Chairman Says “We Want Luis Suarez”
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | March 8, 2012 5:35 AM EST
Mega-rich French Ligue 1 leaders Paris Saint-Germain are set to pursue the signing over Liverpool's controversial star Luis Suarez this summer, according to the Daily Mirror.
Nasser Al-Khelaifi, chairman of Qatar Sports Investment, who bought PSG last year, said that Suarez was one of a number of top players the club was targeting as they look to assemble a squad for a likely assault in the Champions League next season.
"We have clear targets in mind. It is true that we want Luis Suarez and [Real Madrid striker] Gonzalo Higuain," he said, according to the Mirror.
"The players we've approached so far were interested in the project PSG. We won't be spending cash without thinking. We only go after the players who are committed to our project," he also commented, as reported by Goal.com.
"Our priorities are a better training center, a youth academy that will help us develop the new [Lionel] Messi. And we want to stay at the Parc des Princes which represents our history."
The Qatari owners have so far invested hefty sums in attracting big-name players like Argentine playmaker Javier Pastore, as well as former Chelsea and Milan manager Carlo Ancelotti.
And Al-Khelaifi also said that they are also interested in former Liverpool striker Fernando Torres. The Spanish international has failed to rediscover the explosive form he displayed at Anfield since his £50 million to Fernando Torres over a year ago.
While Suarez has generally been regarded as a hit since his arrival from Ajax last January, a big-money offer from PSG would certainly test Liverpool's resolve to hold on the forward. Despite Suarez's overall positive contribution to the Liverpool side, the Uruguayan has only scored six goals in the Premier League this season.
Suarez has also courted controversy after being found guilty of racially abusing Manchester United's Patrice Evra. Despite public backing from manager Kenny Dalglish, Suarez was forced to apologize after declining to shake Evra's hand when Liverpool and United met in the Premier League last month.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues