Liverpool Transfer News: PSG Chairman Says “We Want Luis Suarez”
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | March 8, 2012 5:35 AM EST
Mega-rich French Ligue 1 leaders Paris Saint-Germain are set to pursue the signing over Liverpool's controversial star Luis Suarez this summer, according to the Daily Mirror.
Nasser Al-Khelaifi, chairman of Qatar Sports Investment, who bought PSG last year, said that Suarez was one of a number of top players the club was targeting as they look to assemble a squad for a likely assault in the Champions League next season.
"We have clear targets in mind. It is true that we want Luis Suarez and [Real Madrid striker] Gonzalo Higuain," he said, according to the Mirror.
"The players we've approached so far were interested in the project PSG. We won't be spending cash without thinking. We only go after the players who are committed to our project," he also commented, as reported by Goal.com.
"Our priorities are a better training center, a youth academy that will help us develop the new [Lionel] Messi. And we want to stay at the Parc des Princes which represents our history."
The Qatari owners have so far invested hefty sums in attracting big-name players like Argentine playmaker Javier Pastore, as well as former Chelsea and Milan manager Carlo Ancelotti.
And Al-Khelaifi also said that they are also interested in former Liverpool striker Fernando Torres. The Spanish international has failed to rediscover the explosive form he displayed at Anfield since his £50 million to Fernando Torres over a year ago.
While Suarez has generally been regarded as a hit since his arrival from Ajax last January, a big-money offer from PSG would certainly test Liverpool's resolve to hold on the forward. Despite Suarez's overall positive contribution to the Liverpool side, the Uruguayan has only scored six goals in the Premier League this season.
Suarez has also courted controversy after being found guilty of racially abusing Manchester United's Patrice Evra. Despite public backing from manager Kenny Dalglish, Suarez was forced to apologize after declining to shake Evra's hand when Liverpool and United met in the Premier League last month.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Out There To Save His Two Favourite Ladies In Mid-season Finale
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Chelsea FC: Jose Mourinho Hits Back At Sergio Ramos For Questioning Costa And Fabregas Absence From NT, Says 'He is Not A Doctor'
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change