Liverpool Transfer News: PSG Chairman Says “We Want Luis Suarez”
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | March 8, 2012 5:35 AM EST
Mega-rich French Ligue 1 leaders Paris Saint-Germain are set to pursue the signing over Liverpool's controversial star Luis Suarez this summer, according to the Daily Mirror.
Nasser Al-Khelaifi, chairman of Qatar Sports Investment, who bought PSG last year, said that Suarez was one of a number of top players the club was targeting as they look to assemble a squad for a likely assault in the Champions League next season.
"We have clear targets in mind. It is true that we want Luis Suarez and [Real Madrid striker] Gonzalo Higuain," he said, according to the Mirror.
"The players we've approached so far were interested in the project PSG. We won't be spending cash without thinking. We only go after the players who are committed to our project," he also commented, as reported by Goal.com.
"Our priorities are a better training center, a youth academy that will help us develop the new [Lionel] Messi. And we want to stay at the Parc des Princes which represents our history."
The Qatari owners have so far invested hefty sums in attracting big-name players like Argentine playmaker Javier Pastore, as well as former Chelsea and Milan manager Carlo Ancelotti.
And Al-Khelaifi also said that they are also interested in former Liverpool striker Fernando Torres. The Spanish international has failed to rediscover the explosive form he displayed at Anfield since his £50 million to Fernando Torres over a year ago.
While Suarez has generally been regarded as a hit since his arrival from Ajax last January, a big-money offer from PSG would certainly test Liverpool's resolve to hold on the forward. Despite Suarez's overall positive contribution to the Liverpool side, the Uruguayan has only scored six goals in the Premier League this season.
Suarez has also courted controversy after being found guilty of racially abusing Manchester United's Patrice Evra. Despite public backing from manager Kenny Dalglish, Suarez was forced to apologize after declining to shake Evra's hand when Liverpool and United met in the Premier League last month.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?