iPad 3 Specs and Rumors: No 'Home' Button on Apple's New Tablet?
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | March 7, 2012 8:12 AM EST
Rumors about the iPad 3's specs continue to multiply, and the tech community's' newest information about Apple's new tablet suggests that it may be the first Apple iOS device to not feature a 'Home' button.
The idea that the "Home" button Apple lovers have grown used to may be absent on the iPad 3 is in line with Apple's longstanding minimalistic streak, and would be just one further step toward ultimate sleekness.
The speculation--which is all any of the rumors about Apple iPad 3 specs and technical specifics are until the tablet is unveiled--comes on the eve of an Apple event in San Francisco at 10 p.m. PST Wednesday, March 7, that observers expect to be the release date for the iPad 3.
Though the tablet may likely instead be called the iPad HD, it will break technological ground, as Apple always ensures that each new product is better than its predecessor.
Removing the "Home" button would be yet another example of Apple breaking convention in pursuit of perfect electronics.
"It seems pretty likely that the invitation to Apple's iPad 3 event includes a shot of the new model. The display is particularly sharp and smooth - just like the anticipated retina display for the device. The spacing of the icon[s] on the iPad 3 pictured on the invite clearly indicate that it's in portrait orientation rather than landscape. But there's no sign of a home button, a design change that Apple has been allegedly been toying with for some time."
The company issued an invitation to select media outlets last week, offering details about the event and stating the following: "We have something you really have to see. And touch." The message was accompanied by a photo of an iPad with a finger pushing a button on its touchscreen.
That is pretty sparse substantiation for such a revolutionary claim, but the Website follows it up by explaining that, "in fact, there were rumors that the iPad 2 would be the first iOS device to ship without a home button."
In January 2011, CultofMac explained its reasoning for such an expectation thusly: "Yes, we are told that Apple, at some point in time, will remove the home button from the iPad's design. Instead of button taps, you will use new multitouch gestures to navigate to the home screen and also to launch the app switcher."
But CultofMac left room to allow for the good possibility that the iPad 3 will come with a "Home" button, just as everyone has long believed, saying the invitation could just be a misleading ploy:
"Or the whole thing could be upside down."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Belgium Chocolate Maker ISIS Forced To Change Brand Name To Escape Customer Fury
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS