iPad 3 Specs and Rumors: No 'Home' Button on Apple's New Tablet?
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | March 7, 2012 8:12 AM EST
Rumors about the iPad 3's specs continue to multiply, and the tech community's' newest information about Apple's new tablet suggests that it may be the first Apple iOS device to not feature a 'Home' button.
The idea that the "Home" button Apple lovers have grown used to may be absent on the iPad 3 is in line with Apple's longstanding minimalistic streak, and would be just one further step toward ultimate sleekness.
The speculation--which is all any of the rumors about Apple iPad 3 specs and technical specifics are until the tablet is unveiled--comes on the eve of an Apple event in San Francisco at 10 p.m. PST Wednesday, March 7, that observers expect to be the release date for the iPad 3.
Though the tablet may likely instead be called the iPad HD, it will break technological ground, as Apple always ensures that each new product is better than its predecessor.
Removing the "Home" button would be yet another example of Apple breaking convention in pursuit of perfect electronics.
"It seems pretty likely that the invitation to Apple's iPad 3 event includes a shot of the new model. The display is particularly sharp and smooth - just like the anticipated retina display for the device. The spacing of the icon[s] on the iPad 3 pictured on the invite clearly indicate that it's in portrait orientation rather than landscape. But there's no sign of a home button, a design change that Apple has been allegedly been toying with for some time."
The company issued an invitation to select media outlets last week, offering details about the event and stating the following: "We have something you really have to see. And touch." The message was accompanied by a photo of an iPad with a finger pushing a button on its touchscreen.
That is pretty sparse substantiation for such a revolutionary claim, but the Website follows it up by explaining that, "in fact, there were rumors that the iPad 2 would be the first iOS device to ship without a home button."
In January 2011, CultofMac explained its reasoning for such an expectation thusly: "Yes, we are told that Apple, at some point in time, will remove the home button from the iPad's design. Instead of button taps, you will use new multitouch gestures to navigate to the home screen and also to launch the app switcher."
But CultofMac left room to allow for the good possibility that the iPad 3 will come with a "Home" button, just as everyone has long believed, saying the invitation could just be a misleading ploy:
"Or the whole thing could be upside down."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Brisbane Woman Performs Sex With Dog, Gets Charged With Bestiality
- Top 5 Halloween 2014 Costume Ideas For Teen Boys
- ISIS Parades 30 Sunni Tribesmen Before Shooting Them Dead In Iraqi Town
- Video Showing Woman Getting Sexually Harassed on New York Streets Goes Viral
- Early Heat Wave Breaks Records In Australia; Lighting Storms Spark Bushfires In Queensland [VIDEO]
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family
- Xiaomi VP Hugo Barra Says ‘Apple iPhone 6 Is The Most Beautiful Smartphone Ever Built’
- Vivo Rumoured To Be Building World’s Thinnest Smartphone With 3.8 MM Thickness