Man Sues AMC Movie Theater: Are Snack Prices That Extreme? [POLL]
By Amanda Remling | March 7, 2012 7:43 AM EST
While concession stand snacks do seem a little steep at movie theaters, most people either skip the line or suck it up and empty out their wallet on popcorn and a soda. One Michigan man decided to take a more extreme route and file a class action suit against his local AMC movie theater.
Twenty-something-year-old Joshua Thompson believes that the snack prices are out of control, and is hoping that his lawsuit will force snack prices down state-wide. Kerry Morgan, Thompson's lawyer, told the Detroit Free Press that his client "got tired of being taken advantage of."
Due to high snack prices, Thompson had been bringing outside food into the theater, but ceased when management posted a note banning the outside food. This spurred the movie-goer to purchase a Coke and Goobers on his Dec. 26 visit to the theater. Thompson was outraged when his total purchase came to $8.
The plaintiff believes that the movie theater is violating the Michigan Consumer Protection Act. According to the Consumerist, Thompson is "seeking refunds for all customers who were overcharged." Many consumer experts don't believe the case will make it far though, predicting it to be dismissed. Gary Victor, Eastern Michigan University business law professor told the Detroit Free Press that the case is a "loser," stating that in 1999 and 2007, the Supreme Court exempted "most regulated businesses from the Michigan Consumer Protection Act."
Take the poll to voice whether you think concession stand prices are worth a lawsuit.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Fears Cause Hysteria In United States And Around The World
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess All Smiles In First Public Appearance, Sickness Seems Over
- Baby Corpses Found in Storage Locker in Canada
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- ISIS Taking U.S.-Airdropped Weapons An 'Embarrassment'; Another Yazidi Massacre Looming [VIDEO]
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’