Man Sues AMC Movie Theater: Are Snack Prices That Extreme? [POLL]
By Amanda Remling | March 7, 2012 7:43 AM EST
While concession stand snacks do seem a little steep at movie theaters, most people either skip the line or suck it up and empty out their wallet on popcorn and a soda. One Michigan man decided to take a more extreme route and file a class action suit against his local AMC movie theater.
Twenty-something-year-old Joshua Thompson believes that the snack prices are out of control, and is hoping that his lawsuit will force snack prices down state-wide. Kerry Morgan, Thompson's lawyer, told the Detroit Free Press that his client "got tired of being taken advantage of."
Due to high snack prices, Thompson had been bringing outside food into the theater, but ceased when management posted a note banning the outside food. This spurred the movie-goer to purchase a Coke and Goobers on his Dec. 26 visit to the theater. Thompson was outraged when his total purchase came to $8.
The plaintiff believes that the movie theater is violating the Michigan Consumer Protection Act. According to the Consumerist, Thompson is "seeking refunds for all customers who were overcharged." Many consumer experts don't believe the case will make it far though, predicting it to be dismissed. Gary Victor, Eastern Michigan University business law professor told the Detroit Free Press that the case is a "loser," stating that in 1999 and 2007, the Supreme Court exempted "most regulated businesses from the Michigan Consumer Protection Act."
Take the poll to voice whether you think concession stand prices are worth a lawsuit.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Sickness: Prince Harry Cancels His 30th Birthday Party, Opts For Simple Gathering
- 24-year-old Playboy Model Marries 81-year-old Construction Tycoon Richard Lugner
- ISIS Murder Videos 'Turning On' Foreign Jihadists To Fight US and Britain [VIDEO]
- Rare Blue Flawless Diamond, Costing $25.6 Million, Is The Newest Attraction At The Natural History Museum
- Auckland Gay Men Warned of Having Sex in Bushes of Public Park
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up