Man Sues AMC Movie Theater: Are Snack Prices That Extreme? [POLL]
By Amanda Remling | March 7, 2012 7:43 AM EST
While concession stand snacks do seem a little steep at movie theaters, most people either skip the line or suck it up and empty out their wallet on popcorn and a soda. One Michigan man decided to take a more extreme route and file a class action suit against his local AMC movie theater.
Twenty-something-year-old Joshua Thompson believes that the snack prices are out of control, and is hoping that his lawsuit will force snack prices down state-wide. Kerry Morgan, Thompson's lawyer, told the Detroit Free Press that his client "got tired of being taken advantage of."
Due to high snack prices, Thompson had been bringing outside food into the theater, but ceased when management posted a note banning the outside food. This spurred the movie-goer to purchase a Coke and Goobers on his Dec. 26 visit to the theater. Thompson was outraged when his total purchase came to $8.
The plaintiff believes that the movie theater is violating the Michigan Consumer Protection Act. According to the Consumerist, Thompson is "seeking refunds for all customers who were overcharged." Many consumer experts don't believe the case will make it far though, predicting it to be dismissed. Gary Victor, Eastern Michigan University business law professor told the Detroit Free Press that the case is a "loser," stating that in 1999 and 2007, the Supreme Court exempted "most regulated businesses from the Michigan Consumer Protection Act."
Take the poll to voice whether you think concession stand prices are worth a lawsuit.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where and How to Best View Delta Aquarids Meteor Shower Peak on July 28 and 29
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- iPhone 6 releasing Soon, Use Old Smartphones to Save Rainforest
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People