Man Sues AMC Movie Theater: Are Snack Prices That Extreme? [POLL]
By Amanda Remling | March 7, 2012 7:43 AM EST
While concession stand snacks do seem a little steep at movie theaters, most people either skip the line or suck it up and empty out their wallet on popcorn and a soda. One Michigan man decided to take a more extreme route and file a class action suit against his local AMC movie theater.
Twenty-something-year-old Joshua Thompson believes that the snack prices are out of control, and is hoping that his lawsuit will force snack prices down state-wide. Kerry Morgan, Thompson's lawyer, told the Detroit Free Press that his client "got tired of being taken advantage of."
Due to high snack prices, Thompson had been bringing outside food into the theater, but ceased when management posted a note banning the outside food. This spurred the movie-goer to purchase a Coke and Goobers on his Dec. 26 visit to the theater. Thompson was outraged when his total purchase came to $8.
The plaintiff believes that the movie theater is violating the Michigan Consumer Protection Act. According to the Consumerist, Thompson is "seeking refunds for all customers who were overcharged." Many consumer experts don't believe the case will make it far though, predicting it to be dismissed. Gary Victor, Eastern Michigan University business law professor told the Detroit Free Press that the case is a "loser," stating that in 1999 and 2007, the Supreme Court exempted "most regulated businesses from the Michigan Consumer Protection Act."
Take the poll to voice whether you think concession stand prices are worth a lawsuit.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton And Prince William Have Chosen The Name Of Their Second Child- Details
- Hoax Alert: 'Ebola Vaccine Only Works on White Skin' Viral Story Not True
- Local Syrians Have Mixed Reactions To US Airstrikes Against ISIS; Opposition 'Suspicious'
- Melbourne Wakes Up To Anti-Terror Raids: Seabrook Man Arrested For Funding Terrorist Organisation
- New Zealand PM John Key Aware of Kiwis Joining ISIS; New Zealand Not Ready For Airstrikes
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate