Facebook More Telling for Job Prospects Than IQ
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | March 6, 2012 4:52 AM EST
Your Facebook page is a better gauge of the kind of worker you'll become than is your IQ, researchers say.
Even pictures of you partying are OK, they found.
What you post to Facebook, and how you interact while there, offer a better prediction about future job performance than does IQ. And your user profile shows an employer how conscientious, curious and agreeable you are, concluded researchers in a study published in the Journal of Applied Social Psychology.
In one experiment, a college professor joined two students and rated Facebook profiles of college students. The trio spent 10 minutes on each profile and assessed each person with a series of questions.
Six months later, it turns out the raters predicted employee evaluations better than IQ would. Facebook profiles ranked better for students who traveled, pursued hobbies outside of school and had more friends.
Contrary to popular notions, partying photos posted on the social networking site didn't count against students, the researchers found.
"In five or 10 minutes, our raters could look at the tone of a subject's wall post, note the number of friends they have, peruse their photos to see how social they were and assess their tastes in books and music," Don Kluemper, lead study author and professor of management at North Illinois University, told NIU Today. "It's a very rich source of information."
However, Britain's Guardian newspaper warned against such potentially simplistic views of employees.
"Ultimately, social networking sites are just that -- social," Catherine Noonan wrote on the paper's Blogging Students. "So why not steer clear of Facebook and assess candidates the tried-and-tested way: on how they come across in a professional context."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Zero-Gravity Update: Coffee Machine Brews Fresh ISSpresso For Astronauts
- Musical Training Enhances Long-Term Memory
- Sydney Heatwave Roundup: Mercury Rising To 40 Degrees, Severe Fire Warnings In Place
- Crop Production Amplifies Carbon Dioxide Cycle
- Stephen Hawking's Facebook Posts Tell You How The Cosmologist Reacts To 'Theory Of Everything' And 'Interstellar'
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan