Facebook More Telling for Job Prospects Than IQ
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | March 6, 2012 4:52 AM EST
Your Facebook page is a better gauge of the kind of worker you'll become than is your IQ, researchers say.
Even pictures of you partying are OK, they found.
What you post to Facebook, and how you interact while there, offer a better prediction about future job performance than does IQ. And your user profile shows an employer how conscientious, curious and agreeable you are, concluded researchers in a study published in the Journal of Applied Social Psychology.
In one experiment, a college professor joined two students and rated Facebook profiles of college students. The trio spent 10 minutes on each profile and assessed each person with a series of questions.
Six months later, it turns out the raters predicted employee evaluations better than IQ would. Facebook profiles ranked better for students who traveled, pursued hobbies outside of school and had more friends.
Contrary to popular notions, partying photos posted on the social networking site didn't count against students, the researchers found.
"In five or 10 minutes, our raters could look at the tone of a subject's wall post, note the number of friends they have, peruse their photos to see how social they were and assess their tastes in books and music," Don Kluemper, lead study author and professor of management at North Illinois University, told NIU Today. "It's a very rich source of information."
However, Britain's Guardian newspaper warned against such potentially simplistic views of employees.
"Ultimately, social networking sites are just that -- social," Catherine Noonan wrote on the paper's Blogging Students. "So why not steer clear of Facebook and assess candidates the tried-and-tested way: on how they come across in a professional context."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sighting: Giant 5 Mile Wide UFO Spotted Over the Ocean in NASA Photograph [Watch Video]
- UFO Sighting In Portsmouth: Sign Of Alien Life Or Smudge On The Camera [Watch Video]
- Death By Ice Bucket Challenge Accident For Kentucky Firefighter
- Lifestyle Changes Reduces Risk of Dementia, According To World Alzheimer Report 2014
- Canada PM Stephen Harper to Skip UN Climate Summit
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues