Facebook More Telling for Job Prospects Than IQ
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | March 6, 2012 4:52 AM EST
Your Facebook page is a better gauge of the kind of worker you'll become than is your IQ, researchers say.
Even pictures of you partying are OK, they found.
What you post to Facebook, and how you interact while there, offer a better prediction about future job performance than does IQ. And your user profile shows an employer how conscientious, curious and agreeable you are, concluded researchers in a study published in the Journal of Applied Social Psychology.
In one experiment, a college professor joined two students and rated Facebook profiles of college students. The trio spent 10 minutes on each profile and assessed each person with a series of questions.
Six months later, it turns out the raters predicted employee evaluations better than IQ would. Facebook profiles ranked better for students who traveled, pursued hobbies outside of school and had more friends.
Contrary to popular notions, partying photos posted on the social networking site didn't count against students, the researchers found.
"In five or 10 minutes, our raters could look at the tone of a subject's wall post, note the number of friends they have, peruse their photos to see how social they were and assess their tastes in books and music," Don Kluemper, lead study author and professor of management at North Illinois University, told NIU Today. "It's a very rich source of information."
However, Britain's Guardian newspaper warned against such potentially simplistic views of employees.
"Ultimately, social networking sites are just that -- social," Catherine Noonan wrote on the paper's Blogging Students. "So why not steer clear of Facebook and assess candidates the tried-and-tested way: on how they come across in a professional context."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Artificial Micro-Humans to Replace Animals in Lab Tests: 90 Million Animal Lives Would be Saved
- Images Of Solar Flare Captured By NASA [Watch Video]
- Volatile Volcanoes Are Waking Up
- Danish Authorities Are Being Complicit In Brutal Slaughtering Of Pilot Whales: Charlie Sheen; An Australian Arrested
- 20-Year-Old Isabelle Roberts Dislocates Jaw After Screaming During Ice Bucket Challenge (Watch Video)
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Jennifer Lawrence's Nude Photos Leaked on Find My iPhone, Apple 'Outraged' But Says Systems 'Not Breached'
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged