Mauritius 2010 unemployment forecast at 7.5 pct
June 26, 2010 5:23 AM EST
Mauritius forecasts unemployment in 2010 will increase to 7.5 percent from 7.3 percent last year, official data showed on Friday.
Government statistics showed unemployment in the first quarter of this year rose to 8.4 percent from 8.0 percent during the same period in 2009.
The global economic downturn has hurt demand in the Indian Ocean island's tourism and key export sectors. But analysts say a 10.4 billion Mauritius rupee stimulus package and an aggressive easing of monetary policy have helped the economy weather the crisis better than expected.
"Unemployment is expected to increase by 1,200 from 41,500 in 2009 to 42,700 in 2010," the Central Statistics Office (CSO) said in a statement.
The total labour force in the nation of 1.3 million people is seen increasing by 5,400 to 530,200, according to the CSO.
Finance Minister Pravind Jugnauth said earlier this week economic growth was expected to slow to between 3.5 and 4.0 percent in 2010 from a previous estimate of 4.3 percent, as losses from the euro-zone crisis hamper growth.
Mauritius' Monetary Policy Committee left the central bank's benchmark repo rate unchanged at 5.75 percent on Tuesday, in line with market expectations, citing uncertainty wrought by Europe's debt crisis.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
Join the Conversation
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Multi-Million Pound Law Suit Looms Over Putin’s Head, Assets At Risk
- 5 Uncanny Jobs That Actually Pay Very Well
- Ebola Virus on the Loose: World Cautioned as Infection Moves; Global Airports on High Alert; Kills Liberian Doctor, Infects American Worker
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Russian International Condemnation Extends to 2018 World Cup
- Magaluf 2014 Update: Spanish Bar Where Teen Performed Sex Acts Closed, to Pay $78K Fine Along with Carnage Event Planner (VIDEOS)
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE-A Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update Rolls Out: When to Hit Your Region
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- OnePlus One Android 4.4.4 KitKat and Android L Update Guide