Mauritius 2010 unemployment forecast at 7.5 pct
June 26, 2010 5:23 AM EST
Mauritius forecasts unemployment in 2010 will increase to 7.5 percent from 7.3 percent last year, official data showed on Friday.
Government statistics showed unemployment in the first quarter of this year rose to 8.4 percent from 8.0 percent during the same period in 2009.
The global economic downturn has hurt demand in the Indian Ocean island's tourism and key export sectors. But analysts say a 10.4 billion Mauritius rupee stimulus package and an aggressive easing of monetary policy have helped the economy weather the crisis better than expected.
"Unemployment is expected to increase by 1,200 from 41,500 in 2009 to 42,700 in 2010," the Central Statistics Office (CSO) said in a statement.
The total labour force in the nation of 1.3 million people is seen increasing by 5,400 to 530,200, according to the CSO.
Finance Minister Pravind Jugnauth said earlier this week economic growth was expected to slow to between 3.5 and 4.0 percent in 2010 from a previous estimate of 4.3 percent, as losses from the euro-zone crisis hamper growth.
Mauritius' Monetary Policy Committee left the central bank's benchmark repo rate unchanged at 5.75 percent on Tuesday, in line with market expectations, citing uncertainty wrought by Europe's debt crisis.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
Join the Conversation
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Too Much Blow for Mourning Families as Rebels Steal Bodies; Complete Passenger. Crew List Released
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Russia’s Putin World’s Getting Small, Pitted Against Global Leaders
- Health Canada Orders Labeling of Mechanically Tenderized Beef Meat
- How to Deal With Slackers at the Office
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People