Kenyan remittances up 4 pct yr/yr to $51.2 mln in May
By NAIROBI | June 26, 2010 5:18 AM EST
Kenyan remittances rose 4 percent to $51.172 million in May compared with the same month last year, central bank said on Friday.
Total remittances in the first five months of this year stood at $247.7 million compared with $236.5 million in the same period in 2009.
"Remittance transfers were $51.2 million in May 2010 compared with $52.7 million in April 2010. However, remittances in May continued to be above the trend average of $50 million per month," central bank said.
Money sent home by Kenyans abroad is a major source of foreign exchange behind agricultural exports and tourism.
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build