Kenyan remittances up 4 pct yr/yr to $51.2 mln in May
By NAIROBI | June 26, 2010 5:18 AM EST
Kenyan remittances rose 4 percent to $51.172 million in May compared with the same month last year, central bank said on Friday.
Total remittances in the first five months of this year stood at $247.7 million compared with $236.5 million in the same period in 2009.
"Remittance transfers were $51.2 million in May 2010 compared with $52.7 million in April 2010. However, remittances in May continued to be above the trend average of $50 million per month," central bank said.
Money sent home by Kenyans abroad is a major source of foreign exchange behind agricultural exports and tourism.
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Update: Death Toll Reaches 2,461; US$1B Is Needed To Fight It, Says UN
- BC Teachers’ Strike Reaches Tentative Deal With Government, Date of Class Resumptions Still Not Sure
- Australia To Lose Hundreds Of Billions Worth Of Infrastructure Due To Rising Sea Levels
- Air France Pilots’ Strike: Only 40% of Scheduled Wednesday Flights Will Operate
- UK Starts Ebola Vaccine Trials on Humans
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet