Kenyan remittances up 4 pct yr/yr to $51.2 mln in May
By NAIROBI | June 26, 2010 5:18 AM EST
Kenyan remittances rose 4 percent to $51.172 million in May compared with the same month last year, central bank said on Friday.
Total remittances in the first five months of this year stood at $247.7 million compared with $236.5 million in the same period in 2009.
"Remittance transfers were $51.2 million in May 2010 compared with $52.7 million in April 2010. However, remittances in May continued to be above the trend average of $50 million per month," central bank said.
Money sent home by Kenyans abroad is a major source of foreign exchange behind agricultural exports and tourism.
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Russia Warns Citizens – Take Selfies, Have Lice
- The Cost Of Getting Infected With Ebola
- Ebola Divides The US: More States Begin Applying Stricter Guidelines Than What CDC Imposed
- Canadian House Owners Preferring To Live In Core City Than In Suburbs: Study
- FIFA May Keep Russia and Ukraine Apart in World Cup 2018
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight