Michael Douglas Was Not Paid for FBI Anti-Fraud PSA, Greed is Not Good
By Ellen Killoran | March 3, 2012 5:21 AM EST
Michael Douglas appeared in an unusual role this week -- as the spokesman for a Federal Bureau of Investigation public service announcement targeting Wall Street insider trading.
"In the movie 'Wall Street' I play Gordon Gekko, a greedy corporate executive who cheated to profit while innocent investors lost their savings," Douglas says in the PSA, which is featured on the FBI's website and was shown on CNBC and Bloomberg Television. "The movie was fiction, but the problem is real."
The spot includes a clip from the 1987 Oliver Stone film, where Gekko famously insists that "greed, for lack of a better term, is good." Douglas won an Academy Award for his original portrayal of the white-collar criminal, and reprised his role in the 2010 sequel "Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps."
The PSA is part of "Perfect Hedge," a five-year-old securities fraud investigation operation that Bloomberg described as "the largest ever in the world of hedge funds." As of late February 2012, 59 people had been found guilty and at least 64 people charged with insider trading as part of Perfect Hedge.
David Chaves, a senior FBI agent who is on the team that first launched Perfect Hedge, explained to Bloomberg that Douglas has a personal stake in exposing insider trading, in part due to a perplexing response to his portrayal of Gekko.
Douglas reportedly told Chaves that he was "startled over the positive response he received as Gordon Gekko." Chaves quoted Douglas as saying, "I don't know what's wrong with Wall Street but I would be approached all the time, people would 'high-five' me or shake my hand for being this terrible man who stole people's money. Where are the values? The culture has to change."
FBI Spokesman J. Peter Donald said the FBI was thrilled to have Douglas -- who wasn't compensated for appearing in the PSA.
"We couldn't think of a better person to do it," said Donald. The PSA "is a great way for us to get out our message and to encourage people to pick up the phone and call us with a tip on securities fraud or insider trading," he continued. "The FBI is in a position to encourage people to do the right thing."
Donald said he couldn't comment on Thursday's Washington Post report warning potential whistleblowers that tips brought to the FBI wouldn't likely yield any cash reward -- in contrast to claims filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, which could result in a significant payout if a tip leads to a high-ticket sanction.
Chavez told the Post that he would "like to see people be patriotic and just do the right thing instead of being motivated by money," and told Bloomberg he hopes the Douglas PSA will act to further deter would-be fraudsters.
"We're hearing more and more how people are staying away from inside information," Chaves told Bloomberg of the response to the Perfect Hedge operation, but added, "We're still developing cases so there are clearly people out there still breaking the law."
Asked if the FBI might consider using a Hollywood celebrity to battle white-collar crime in the future, Davis said, "It will be a challenge to find the next Michael Douglas."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jennifer Lawrence’s Nude Photos and Videos Leaked by 4Chan Hacker; Ariana Grande, Lea Michele, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Kate Upton’s Also Included
- Celebrities’ Leaked Nude Photos: Master-List Printed, Selena Gomez, Kim Kardashian, Kate Upton, Jennifer Lawrence, Kaley Cuoco, Rihanna, More Names On It
- Nick Cannon–Mariah Carey Divorce Reports: Nick Dating Younger Woman
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice’ First Photo Of Lex Luthor Leaked, Jesse Eisenberg On Villain’s Role And Plot Details Revealed
- Nude Photos Leaked: Mary Elizabeth Winstead Says Nude Photos Hers, Faces Backlash, Takes Twitter Break
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones