U.S. stocks open flat, as traders ponder downwardly revised 1Q GDP, ahead of G20 conclave
By Palash R. Ghosh | June 26, 2010 3:42 AM EST
After four consecutive days of losses, U.S. stock indices have opened flat, ahead of the start of the G20 meeting this weekend, while traders weigh an unexpected downward revision to first quarter GDP growth (2.7 percent vs. 3.0 percent), with a large reduction in first quarter final sales growth to 0.8 percent from 1.4 percent.
Traders are also pondering the ramifications of pending financial regulation that will overhaul rules that regulate banks and investment firms. However, compromises to the bill by a House-Senate reconciliation committee overnight include features that would limit banks from investing in high-risk asset classes, but would allow such activity at subsidiaries and would not restrict derivatives trading.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average is down 0.05 percent; the S&P 500 index is up 0.01 percent; and the NASDAQ composite is down 0.05 percent.
European stock markets are down, but above intra-day lows. FTSE has slipped 0.19 percent, exacerbated by BP, which has sunk to a 14-year low, on news that costs of containing Gulf oil spill has already exceeded $2-billion
Germany's DAX is down 0.48 percent; and France's CAC 40 has lost 0.31 percent.
Major Asian equity indices dropped, following Wall Street's declines Thursday, partially on fears that financial regulation in the U.S. would hurt the banking sector and curb global economic growth. Japan's Nikkei-225 index plunged 1.92 percent, while Hong Kong's Hang Seng index edged down 0.21 percent.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report