Bank of England lists key risks in UK financial system
By Besta Shankar | June 25, 2010 11:34 PM EST
In its bi-annual financial stability report, released on Friday, the Bank of England has cautioned UK banks on serious risks ahead and adviced them to accumulate more reserves to deal with future challenges.
“Banks must meet demanding future regulatory requirements,” the report said.
The reports stresses on more actions from the banks to meet the new regulatory requirements, though it finds a significant improvement in the capital and liquidity status of the banks.
In the wake of crisis in Spain, Portugal and Greece, the central bank warned on counter-party risks for UK banks while dealing wtih weak institutions which have high exposure to weaker economies.
Here are some key risks the bank listed in its report:
• Counterparty risks emerging out of European banks' direct exposure to economies troubled by sovereign debt crisis.
• Risks of banks globally in refinancing maturing funding and reducing the value of banks’ assets, in the scenario of continued setback of investor risk appetite.
• A change in investments across various geographies and risks impacting the growth and credit risk in Europe.
• UK borrowers facing payment troubles as a result of overstretching of balance sheets with a mismatch of growth and expectations or interest rate increasing above the anticipated levels.
• Increase in bad loans arising out of any weakness in UK and US housing markets
• Decline in economic growth and Increased credit risks to banks due to restrictions on lending by banks to comply with the future regulatory requirements and to ease funding problems.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- Teachers’ Strike in BC, Canada Stalls 1st Day of School; Labour Dispute Could Last Even After Labour Day
- Ukraine Crisis: Putin Dangles Nuclear War Threat, US Senators Advise Sending Defensive Weapons
- James Foley Is A Spy – Jihadi Recruiter Reveals
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen