Heavy Rain Floods NSW, Authorities Order Evacuation
By Jackie Bargas | March 1, 2012 4:17 PM EST
Goulburn residents in NSW, Australia, were finally asked to evacuate from their homes as the water level of the river is rapidly approaching critical. Hundreds of residents from South of Sydney were requested to move to another place while rainwater continues to flood the city.
Around 370 houses in a town at Cooma were left by about 500 people, who were also ordered to evacuate. While some residents received an evacuation order, a warning is given to the residents of Queanbeyan, an area close to Canberra
The water from the two surrounding rivers has increased rapidly according to Steve Pearce, Deputy Commissioner of the NSW State Emergency Services (SES), in an interview by ABC Radio. He also added that the team has lost all readings from the river.
In the western part of Sydney, huge drapes of land are anticipated to be flooded by water coming from the Warragamba Dam, which has a risk to overflow for the first time in 14 years.
Authorities have advised people to transfer their properties to higher grounds. Livestock and other important items must be moved to a place that can't be reached by flood according to Phil Campbell, SES spokesman.
The water from the dam is expected to spill into the Hawkesbury-Nepean River, which is already swollen from the continuous rainfall.
Another dam that has a risk of a spill is the Jerrara Dam, close to Kiama. People nearby are now asked to prepare for evacuation. Around 10 properties are expected to be affected.
Pearce also said approximately 75% of NSW have either been flooded or possibly are affected by the flood. A huge area has already been negatively affected by the continuous rain. Authorities are still expecting more damages as this wet weather continues.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Japanese Whalers End Pacific Hunt with 115 Whales Dead and No Disruption from Sea Shepherd
- Viral Video Cyring Sadie: 5-Year-Old Little Girl Does Not Want Her Baby Brother to Grow Up [WATCH VIDEO]
- 15 Orgasms/Week, $27K/Yr Salary Not Bad for Professional Toy Tester Cara Houiellebecq (VIDEO)
- New Zealand Drafts IWC Resolution to Stop Japanese Whalers from Hunting in 2015
- Pacific Islands Forum Delegates Appeal for Changes to Climate Policies, Better Marine Life Protection
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools