Ahuja Out as LightSquared CEO; Falcone Joins Board
By Joseph Orovic | February 29, 2012 8:24 AM EST
Wireless technology company LightSquared announced Tuesday the resignation of its embattled CEO, Sanjiv Ahuja, with his replacement to be named in the future.
Billionaire Philip Falcone, chief executive of Harbinger Capital Partners, has backed the the Reston, Va.-based company, and was named to its board after Ahuja's departure.
Falcone's hedge fund has about $3 billion invested in LightSquared. The seemingly "all-in" strategy led a group of investors to file a lawsuit against Haringer and Falcone in federal court in New York..
Chief Networking Officer Doug Smith and Chief Financial Officer Marc Montagner were named interim co-chief operating officers while LightSquared seeks a replacement for Ahuja, who will remain chairman of the board.
Ahuja's tenure since 2010 was marred with difficulties brought on by regulations, most recently when the Federal Communications Commission barred LightSquared from operating after concerns arose that its service interferes with navigation equipment aboard planes, boats and cars. The ban remains in effect.
LightSquared skipped paying its partner British satellite operator Inmarsat Plc while also cutting 45 percent of its 330-employee workforce, according to Businessweek.
The wireless provider has hoped to offer wholesale services to retailers, consumer electronics companies and wireless operators, reaching deals with Sprint Nextel and Best Buy.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- California Fruits Recalled in USA and Canada for Possible Listeria Contamination
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier Losing $1.6 Million/Day; Crisis Management Experts Suggest Hiring Risk Expert as CEO
- The IBM and Apple Merger: Will it Spell Trouble to Rival Companies
- CBA, NAB, Westpac in Fixed Rate War Offering Below 5% Interest
- KFC & McDonald’s Accused of Serving ‘Expired’ Meat to Customers
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales