iPhone 5 Rumor: Apple to Ditch Traditional Dock Connector in Its Upcoming iPhone?
By Shruti Hirur | February 26, 2012 2:31 AM EST
Even if the report is highly based on speculation, it does correspond an undeniable truth. Considering Apple is up for a number of new technologies in its future devices, it will definitely require more space within the casing of the devices.
As of now, the dock connector has been a big component that occupied space but not much when compared to the whole assembly. It handles the sync and transfer that include movies, music, backups and other media too.
Of course, the importance of the dock connector has changed when the iPhone 4 was released. Because the iCloud made the backups convenient and easy. The large media file was handled better by Wi-Fi. The connectivity of the accessories is effortless through air.
But if the Apple will switch over to the adapter dongle it will be hard to use in terms of compatibility. Probably it cannot toggle to thunderbolt since it is not supported by PCI Express Architecture. The USB port cannot be used because of the reduced speed and so the transfer of data will be slow.
If rumors are to believed, the iPhone 5 will come into light with remarkable features such as a super fast processor, 8MP camera, an upgraded iOS (iOS 5.1 or even higher), iCloud, NFC support, 4G LTE, and of course, a better battery.
In short, Apple can toggle to "micro dock" to make room for the other components which is the only possibility to bring out the best in a small package.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Android 4.4.3 and 4.4.4 KitKat Still Delayed for Samsung Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy S4 and Galaxy Note 3
- GTA V Online: Money-Glitch Ban Goes After Cheaters as a New Zombie DLC Leak is Spotted
- PS4 News: 2 Possible Sets of PS Plus Games for August 2014 Leaked and Additional Features for PS4
- Sony Xperia Z2 Tablet 17.1.2.A.0.314 Firmware Update to Improve Touch Screen and Charging Speed
- Nokia Lumia 630 vs. Sony Xperia M Specs and Price Comparison in Australia
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date