iPhone 5 Rumor: Apple to Ditch Traditional Dock Connector in Its Upcoming iPhone?
By Shruti Hirur | February 26, 2012 2:31 AM EST
Even if the report is highly based on speculation, it does correspond an undeniable truth. Considering Apple is up for a number of new technologies in its future devices, it will definitely require more space within the casing of the devices.
As of now, the dock connector has been a big component that occupied space but not much when compared to the whole assembly. It handles the sync and transfer that include movies, music, backups and other media too.
Of course, the importance of the dock connector has changed when the iPhone 4 was released. Because the iCloud made the backups convenient and easy. The large media file was handled better by Wi-Fi. The connectivity of the accessories is effortless through air.
But if the Apple will switch over to the adapter dongle it will be hard to use in terms of compatibility. Probably it cannot toggle to thunderbolt since it is not supported by PCI Express Architecture. The USB port cannot be used because of the reduced speed and so the transfer of data will be slow.
If rumors are to believed, the iPhone 5 will come into light with remarkable features such as a super fast processor, 8MP camera, an upgraded iOS (iOS 5.1 or even higher), iCloud, NFC support, 4G LTE, and of course, a better battery.
In short, Apple can toggle to "micro dock" to make room for the other components which is the only possibility to bring out the best in a small package.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Sims 4' Official Mac Release: More Features Aside From Pools Expected To Be Included
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 64-Bit Octa-Core CPU Expected On Samsung Galaxy S6 And Sony Xperia Z4
- Nexus 9 NVIDIA Tegra K1 Beats Nexus 6 Adreno 420, Galaxy Note 4 Mali T-760 In GPU Tests
- Android 5.0 Lollipop SDK Makes Rooting More Difficult And Overriding Impose Serious Risk To Attacks
- Skype Gets A New Exclusive Feature On The Windows Phone
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop