iPhone 5 Rumor: Apple to Ditch Traditional Dock Connector in Its Upcoming iPhone?
By Shruti Hirur | February 26, 2012 2:31 AM EST
Even if the report is highly based on speculation, it does correspond an undeniable truth. Considering Apple is up for a number of new technologies in its future devices, it will definitely require more space within the casing of the devices.
As of now, the dock connector has been a big component that occupied space but not much when compared to the whole assembly. It handles the sync and transfer that include movies, music, backups and other media too.
Of course, the importance of the dock connector has changed when the iPhone 4 was released. Because the iCloud made the backups convenient and easy. The large media file was handled better by Wi-Fi. The connectivity of the accessories is effortless through air.
But if the Apple will switch over to the adapter dongle it will be hard to use in terms of compatibility. Probably it cannot toggle to thunderbolt since it is not supported by PCI Express Architecture. The USB port cannot be used because of the reduced speed and so the transfer of data will be slow.
If rumors are to believed, the iPhone 5 will come into light with remarkable features such as a super fast processor, 8MP camera, an upgraded iOS (iOS 5.1 or even higher), iCloud, NFC support, 4G LTE, and of course, a better battery.
In short, Apple can toggle to "micro dock" to make room for the other components which is the only possibility to bring out the best in a small package.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'Dragon Age Keep' Guide: How To Use And Set Up Background Story For 'Dragon Age Inquisition'
- Google Nexus 6 Sold-Out Inventory: Android 5.0, Motorola-Nexus Branding, Network Carriers, Competitive Price
- ‘Destiny': Apocalypse-Themed Sparrows, Pumpkin Head Weapons As Contents For Halloween
- The Xperia Z3: A Review On Sony’s New Flagship
- Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Developer Edition Now Available At $699.99, Without Instalment Plan Options
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2