iPhone 5 Rumor: Apple to Ditch Traditional Dock Connector in Its Upcoming iPhone?
By Shruti Hirur | February 26, 2012 2:31 AM EST
Even if the report is highly based on speculation, it does correspond an undeniable truth. Considering Apple is up for a number of new technologies in its future devices, it will definitely require more space within the casing of the devices.
As of now, the dock connector has been a big component that occupied space but not much when compared to the whole assembly. It handles the sync and transfer that include movies, music, backups and other media too.
Of course, the importance of the dock connector has changed when the iPhone 4 was released. Because the iCloud made the backups convenient and easy. The large media file was handled better by Wi-Fi. The connectivity of the accessories is effortless through air.
But if the Apple will switch over to the adapter dongle it will be hard to use in terms of compatibility. Probably it cannot toggle to thunderbolt since it is not supported by PCI Express Architecture. The USB port cannot be used because of the reduced speed and so the transfer of data will be slow.
If rumors are to believed, the iPhone 5 will come into light with remarkable features such as a super fast processor, 8MP camera, an upgraded iOS (iOS 5.1 or even higher), iCloud, NFC support, 4G LTE, and of course, a better battery.
In short, Apple can toggle to "micro dock" to make room for the other components which is the only possibility to bring out the best in a small package.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sony Xperia Z3, Z1, Z1 Compact And Z Ultra Latest Firmware 23.0.A.2.108 And 14.4.A.0.155 Certified
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge and Note 4 Designer Secrets: Behind The Materials, Edge Screen And S Pen
- Android 5.0 Lollipop For Sony Xperia Z Devices Arriving By 2015; Z Ultra GPE Update Confirmed In 2014
- 'The Sims 4' Mac Version: Bugs, Missing Elements Players Must Be Prepared Of
- 'World Of Warcraft' ‘The Iron Tide' 6.0.2 Patch Hotfixes Update Including New Resolved Issues Regarding Scenarios, Raids, Classes, Battlegrounds And Arenas
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related