iPad 3 (iPad 2S?) or iPad 4 Rumour Roundup: Confirmed Features and Latest Updates
By Vinod Yalburgi | February 25, 2012 8:39 PM EST
A number of purported iPad 3 part leaks have grabbed the headlines over the last few weeks, even as rumour mills gained momentum with support from the likes of Apple Insider, Wall Street Journal and many more high-profile news feeders promoting the exciting story.
Latest Update 3: 2048X1536 Resolution Retina Display Reconfirmed for iPad 3
The latest speculated reports from iFixit leaked video of the purported iPad 3 Retina display confirms the new component's pixel density to be precisely double that of Apple's current tablet line. In other words, the display offers twice the linear resolution and four times the total number of pixels as the iPad 2.
iFixit has said that the incompatible connector size of the new display had hampered their testing process on an iPad 2. One might recall from the earlier rumours that the iPad 2 display cable is slightly shorter with a sideways orientation.
Meanwhile, efforts to match the pins of the two displays (iPad 2 and iPad 3) in an effort to rig the iPad 3 display failed to materialise, owing to time constraints and lack of guaranteed success.
"Our efforts to plug it in - even partially, if possible - were unsuccessful," said iFixit.
Despite the rig attempt failures, iFixit was least perturbed. The repair site went ahead with the display test using an USB microscope and found that the new display panel was indeed a higher pixel density panel than before. The test also confirmed a 2048x1536 resolution, which is twice that of the previous two iPad models.
Though both the displays resembled each other in their physical attire, the purported iPad 3 model was found to be 0.6 ounces lighter than that of the iPad 2.
Watch the inquisitive video below:
Rumors abounding Apple incorporating higher resolution display (almost doubling the number of pixels in each direction of the screen) to its third generation iPad have been circulating for quite some time now. However, recent reports from highly placed sources like Bloomberg and The Wall Street Journal have also supported the rumour.
Apple is expected to release the iPad 3 in a media event on March 7, around the same time that it introduced the iPad 2 last year. Rumours surrounding the device have been confirmed to have a number of key features, including a powerful quad-core A5X processor, 4G LTE networking and enhanced 8 megapixel camera.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tesco Facing Crisis After Chairman Quits Citing Accounting Scandal In The Retail Giant
- Australian Federal Court Fines Reebok $350,000 & Orders Refunds For Shoe Endorsed By Miranda Kerr That Claims Unproven Health Benefits
- Sydney Software Firm Bigcommerce Teams Up With Alibaba To Beat Amazon
- Perth Call Centre Staff Bad In English And Not Philippine And Indian Counterparts, Telstra Boss Says
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports