Steve Jobs’ Birthday: 10 Funny, Inspirational Quotes in Honor of Legendary Apple Innovator’s 57th Birthday
By Julia Greenberg | February 25, 2012 3:53 AM EST
Visionary Steve Jobs would have celebrated his 57th birthday Friday. The legendary Apple co-founder and innovator passed away on Oct. 5, 2011 after a long and public battle with disease. He was 56.
Throughout his life, Jobs revolutionized the personal computer at Apple, changed the music industry with the iPod and iTunes Music Store, co-founded Pixar Animation studios and set a new standard for animated films, and oversaw the production of the iPhone, among other visionary inventions.
In commemoration of what would have been his 57th birthday, we honor the legendary Jobs with ten funny and inspirational quotes he said throughout his life.
"It takes these very simple-minded instructions--'Go fetch a number, add it to this number, put the result there, perceive if it's greater than this other number'--but executes them at a rate of, let's say, 1,000,000 per second. At 1,000,000 per second, the results appear to be magic." -- Playboy, Feb. 1, 1985
"We think the Mac will sell zillions, but we didn't build the Mac for anybody else. We built it for ourselves. We were the group of people who were going to judge whether it was great or not. We weren't going to go out and do market research. We just wanted to build the best thing we could build. When you're a carpenter making a beautiful chest of drawers, you're not going to use a piece of plywood on the back, even though it faces the wall and nobody will ever see it. You'll know it's there, so you're going to use a beautiful piece of wood on the back. For you to sleep well at night, the aesthetic, the quality, has to be carried all the way through." -- Playboy, Feb. 1, 1985
"It's more fun to be a pirate than to join the navy." -- Quoted in "Odyssey: Pepsi to Apple," 1987
"When you're young, you look at television and think, There's a conspiracy. The networks have conspired to dumb us down. But when you get a little older, you realize that's not true. The networks are in business to give people exactly what they want. That's a far more depressing thought. Conspiracy is optimistic! You can shoot the bastards! We can have a revolution! But the networks are really in business to give people what they want. It's the truth." -- Wired, February 1996
"I wish him the best, I really do. I just think he and Microsoft are a bit narrow. He'd be a broader guy if he had dropped acid once or gone off to an ashram when he was younger." -- On Bill Gates, The New York Times, Jan. 12, 1997
"The cure for Apple is not cost-cutting. The cure for Apple is to innovate its way out of its current predicament." -- Apple Confidential: The Real Story of Apple Computer Inc., May 1999
"We made the buttons on the screen look so good you'll want to lick them." -- On Mac OS X, Fortune, Jan. 24, 2000
"Quality is more important that quantity. One home run is much better than two doubles." - Businessweek
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary." -- Stanford commencement speech, June 2005
"Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything - all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart." -- Stanford commencement speech, June 2005
"Click. Boom. Amazing!" - Macworld Keynote in 2006
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Surge in UFO Sightings in Queensland Observed; Gold Coast 'Hot Spot' of UFO Encounters
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- ISIS Beheading Video of Steven Sotloff Sparks Outrage; Family Believes Footage is 'Authentic'
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos Leak Raises Doubts on Apple's iCloud; How to Secure Apple ID
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Jennifer Lawrence's Nude Photos Leaked on Find My iPhone, Apple 'Outraged' But Says Systems 'Not Breached'
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged