Apple Acquires App Search Provider Chomp
By Bhaskar Prasad | February 24, 2012 10:16 PM EST
Apple Inc. has acquired San Francisco-based Chomp Inc.
Apple will use Chomp's technology, along with its talent, to redesign how people find apps through the App Store.
The App Store has often been criticized for not helping users easily find the application they want.
Chomp was launched in early 2010 as an alternate search tool for sifting through Apple's App Store. It branched out to Google's Android platform the following year. Its technology provides results based on an app's function, instead of its name.
Apple's mobile devices lead the industry in applications, with more than 550,000 available in the company's App Store. Apple is closing in on 25 billion total downloads from the store, Chief Executive Officer Tim Cook said Thursday.
The acquisition may show Apple's intent to use its cash to reinvest in its products. Following the success of the iPhone and iPad, Apple has accumulated $97.6 billion in cash and investments on its balance sheet. Apple's executives said earlier this year that acquisitions were among the options it's considering for the money.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- California Fruits Recalled in USA and Canada for Possible Listeria Contamination
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier Losing $1.6 Million/Day; Crisis Management Experts Suggest Hiring Risk Expert as CEO
- The IBM and Apple Merger: Will it Spell Trouble to Rival Companies
- CBA, NAB, Westpac in Fixed Rate War Offering Below 5% Interest
- Radio Australia Cuts to Affect Isolated Vanuatu Residents Who Rely on It for Weather Bulletins
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon