Romney Super PAC Reuses Emotional Ad About Missing Teenage Girl [VIDEO]
By Ryan Villarreal | February 24, 2012 2:11 PM EST
The Mitt Romney-supporting super PAC Restoring Our Future has released an ad that highlights the Republican presidential candidate's role in helping a former Bain Capital colleague search for his missing teenage daughter in 1996.
The 30-second ad, which was used by Romney's presidential campaign in 2007, features an emotional Robert Gay talking about the search for his daughter.
"My 14-year-old daughter had disappeared in New York City for three days. No one could find her," says Gay as a melodramatic piano melody plays in background.
"My business partner stepped forward to take charge. He closed the company and brought almost all our employees to New York. He said I don't care how long it takes, we're going to find her. He set up a command center and searched through the night. The man who helped save my daughter was Mitt Romney. Mitt's done a lot of things that people say are nearly impossible. But, for me, the most important thing he's ever done is to help save my daughter."
PolitiFact verified the ad's claims back in 2007, while also expanding on the details of the incident.
Gay's daughter Melissa went missing after she had left her home in Boston to go to a weekend rave party in New York City, telling her family that she was going to play tennis. While at the party she took the drug Ecstasy and ended up in the home of a New Jersey teenage boy. When Melissa didn't come home, Gay informed his colleagues at Bain Capital.
Romney, then CEO of Bain Capital, effectively closed down the company, and traveled down to New York with its 50 employees to search for Gay's daughter. The initial search effort before Melissa was found, is detailed in a 1996 New York Times article, but does not mention Romney by name.
The unidentified teenage boy called 9-1-1 when he saw a news report on television about the search effort for Melissa. She was returned to her family in a "fragile" state but unharmed.
"It's an effective way to humanize a candidate who is struggling to connect with voters," wrote Washington Post reporter Rachel Weiner regarding use of the ad. "But the ad also raises questions about how independent super PACs -- groups that can raise unlimited funds but cannot coordinate with campaigns -- really are."
Weiner seems to suggest that Restoring Our Future might have coordinated with Romney's campaign to air the old ad at a time when the former Massachusetts governor is hoping to clinch the Republican presidential nomination.
Charlie Spies, the super PAC's treasurer, told Weiner that the organization "purchased the rights to the footage from its owner Cold Harbor films, which did not entail interacting with the Romney campaign."
Watch the ad below:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- El Niño Update: 2014 Threat Easing, ‘Unlikely to be a Strong Event’ – Australia BoM
- Australia Asked National Media to Suppress Multi-National Corruption Case: WikiLeaks
- “Women should not laugh in public” - Turkish Deputy PM says
- Opinion Poll in New Zealand Shows National Party Far Ahead in Popular Support
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date