NHL Trade Rumors: San Jose Jumps Into The Rick Nash Sweepstakes
By Peter Martin | February 23, 2012 9:06 AM EST
The San Jose Sharks are the latest team that is reported to be a serious contender in the Rick Nash sweepstakes.
TSN's Darren Dreger reported yesterday that the Sharks are in serious talks with Columbus.
"The San Jose Sharks are emerging as a strong contender for Rick Nash," Dreger said on TSN. "Sources say Columbus initially targeted Logan Couture, but was quickly told that was a non-starter. But, make no mistake, San Jose will stay in the mix until Monday's deadline."
There are hints that Sharks captain Joe Thornton is behind the push by the Sharks for Nash. The two have played together for team Canada in the 2010 Olympic Games, as well as the season they spent together in Switzerland during the 2004 NHL lockout.
Nash and Thornton played for HC Davos and won the Swiss championship. The partnership was explosive with Nash grabbing 26 goals and 46 points in just 44 games, Thornton had 54 points with just 10 goals.
The high asking price from Columbus will undoubtedly be an obstacle to the deal since San Jose is on a push for the playoffs and won't want to part with too much NHL level talent. The deal may have to involve a player like Ryan Clowe which would make for a very difficult decision in San Jose.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date