NHL Trade Rumors: San Jose Jumps Into The Rick Nash Sweepstakes
By Peter Martin | February 23, 2012 9:06 AM EST
The San Jose Sharks are the latest team that is reported to be a serious contender in the Rick Nash sweepstakes.
TSN's Darren Dreger reported yesterday that the Sharks are in serious talks with Columbus.
"The San Jose Sharks are emerging as a strong contender for Rick Nash," Dreger said on TSN. "Sources say Columbus initially targeted Logan Couture, but was quickly told that was a non-starter. But, make no mistake, San Jose will stay in the mix until Monday's deadline."
There are hints that Sharks captain Joe Thornton is behind the push by the Sharks for Nash. The two have played together for team Canada in the 2010 Olympic Games, as well as the season they spent together in Switzerland during the 2004 NHL lockout.
Nash and Thornton played for HC Davos and won the Swiss championship. The partnership was explosive with Nash grabbing 26 goals and 46 points in just 44 games, Thornton had 54 points with just 10 goals.
The high asking price from Columbus will undoubtedly be an obstacle to the deal since San Jose is on a push for the playoffs and won't want to part with too much NHL level talent. The deal may have to involve a player like Ryan Clowe which would make for a very difficult decision in San Jose.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Rafael Nadal To Kick Off 2015 Season At The Mubadala World Tennis Championship, Undergoes Knee Treatment Prior Appendectomy
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2