NHL Trade Rumors: San Jose Jumps Into The Rick Nash Sweepstakes
By Peter Martin | February 23, 2012 9:06 AM EST
The San Jose Sharks are the latest team that is reported to be a serious contender in the Rick Nash sweepstakes.
TSN's Darren Dreger reported yesterday that the Sharks are in serious talks with Columbus.
"The San Jose Sharks are emerging as a strong contender for Rick Nash," Dreger said on TSN. "Sources say Columbus initially targeted Logan Couture, but was quickly told that was a non-starter. But, make no mistake, San Jose will stay in the mix until Monday's deadline."
There are hints that Sharks captain Joe Thornton is behind the push by the Sharks for Nash. The two have played together for team Canada in the 2010 Olympic Games, as well as the season they spent together in Switzerland during the 2004 NHL lockout.
Nash and Thornton played for HC Davos and won the Swiss championship. The partnership was explosive with Nash grabbing 26 goals and 46 points in just 44 games, Thornton had 54 points with just 10 goals.
The high asking price from Columbus will undoubtedly be an obstacle to the deal since San Jose is on a push for the playoffs and won't want to part with too much NHL level talent. The deal may have to involve a player like Ryan Clowe which would make for a very difficult decision in San Jose.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan
- Eurozone Indicators Forewarn Imminent Recession: Germany's Manufacturing Sector Slows