Five nations to get $224 mln to boost food output
June 24, 2010 5:35 AM EST
The U.S. Treasury Department said on Wednesday that five developing countries will get grants totaling $224 million from a new fund set up to reduce global hunger and poverty.
The Global Agriculture and Food Security Program was launched in April 2010 in response to a call from Group of 20 leaders in Pittsburgh last year for the World Bank to find ways to set up a trust fund for donors who wanted to help.
The U.S., Canada, South Korea, Spain and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation put $880 million into the fund and the timing of Wednesday's announcement -- ahead of meetings this week of G8 and G20 leaders -- was intended to show a commitment to reduce food insecurity.
The first round of grants will go to Bangladesh, Haiti, Rwanda, Sierra Leone and Togo. Treasury said an estimated two million people should benefit from the funding to boost food production and reduce poverty.
Treasury said that estimates were that a sudden increase in food prices in 2008 drove some 100 million people into poverty
and, even before that price spike, 850 million people in poor countries were chronically malnourished.
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Vatican 2014 Final Synod Report: Gays Still ‘Unwelcome’ in Catholic Church, LGBT Thankful for First Step
- Ebola ‘Cruise Ship’: Holidaymakers Furious Organisers Hid the Truth About Dallas Health Care Worker
- New Zealand Losing $9.4 Billion Every Year to Fraud
- Canada Conducts Practice Drill Of Ebola Rapid Response Teams, To Send Experimental VSV-BOV Vaccine To WHO
- 5 Cities With The Highest Cost Of Living In 2014
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks