LED Surfer Mixes Snowboarding, Fashion & High Art [VIDEO]
By M. Johanson | February 18, 2012 5:37 AM EST
What happens if you take a professional snowboarder (William Hughes), cover him in L.E.D. lights, and send him out into the French Alps after dark with a video team? A mesmerizing short called L.E.D. Surfer by Jacob Sutton.
Sutton captures snaking turns, spraying snow, and pure white powder as the professional snowboarder cuts through the nighttime Alps in an L.E.D.-charged snowsuit.
A fashion photographer and filmmaker, Sutton swapped the studio for the slopes of Tignes in southeastern France for this luminous after hours short.
Sutton has worked with the likes of Hermès, Burberry and The New York Times, but spent three nights on a skidoo with a Red Epic camera at temperatures of -25C to snap Hughes carving through the deep snow.
Hughes' L.E.D.-enveloped suit comes courtesy of designer and electronics whizz John Spacher.
"I was really drawn to the idea of a lone character made of light surfing through darkness," Sutton told luxury storytelling site Nowness of his costume choice. "I've always been excited by unusual ways of lighting things, so it seemed like an exciting idea to make the subject of the film the only light source."
Spacher said the suit took about 300 man hours to make.
Hughes called the stunt a once in a lifetime challenge.
"Filming in the suit was the most surreal thing I've done in 20 years of snowboarding," he said. "Luckily there was plenty of vin rouge to keep me warm, and Jacob's enthusiasm kept everyone going through the cold nights."
Sutton chose a snowboarder instead of a skier because he wanted him to feel like the silver surfer.
What do you think? Check out the L.E.D. surfer below:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone