LED Surfer Mixes Snowboarding, Fashion & High Art [VIDEO]
By M. Johanson | February 18, 2012 5:37 AM EST
What happens if you take a professional snowboarder (William Hughes), cover him in L.E.D. lights, and send him out into the French Alps after dark with a video team? A mesmerizing short called L.E.D. Surfer by Jacob Sutton.
Sutton captures snaking turns, spraying snow, and pure white powder as the professional snowboarder cuts through the nighttime Alps in an L.E.D.-charged snowsuit.
A fashion photographer and filmmaker, Sutton swapped the studio for the slopes of Tignes in southeastern France for this luminous after hours short.
Sutton has worked with the likes of Hermès, Burberry and The New York Times, but spent three nights on a skidoo with a Red Epic camera at temperatures of -25C to snap Hughes carving through the deep snow.
Hughes' L.E.D.-enveloped suit comes courtesy of designer and electronics whizz John Spacher.
"I was really drawn to the idea of a lone character made of light surfing through darkness," Sutton told luxury storytelling site Nowness of his costume choice. "I've always been excited by unusual ways of lighting things, so it seemed like an exciting idea to make the subject of the film the only light source."
Spacher said the suit took about 300 man hours to make.
Hughes called the stunt a once in a lifetime challenge.
"Filming in the suit was the most surreal thing I've done in 20 years of snowboarding," he said. "Luckily there was plenty of vin rouge to keep me warm, and Jacob's enthusiasm kept everyone going through the cold nights."
Sutton chose a snowboarder instead of a skier because he wanted him to feel like the silver surfer.
What do you think? Check out the L.E.D. surfer below:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Asia Has World’s Best & Worst Airports 2014 [Complete Lists]
- MH370 Oct. 20 Senate Hearing: 'Reckless' April Update Based On Unofficial Briefing, Senate Heard
- World’s Worst Tourist Destinations
- Gwyneth Paltrow To Attend Tasmania’s Tourism Event
- Tasmania Ranks No. 4 In Lonely Planet’s 'Top 10 Regions In The World To Visit In 2015' List
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report