LED Surfer Mixes Snowboarding, Fashion & High Art [VIDEO]
By M. Johanson | February 18, 2012 5:37 AM EST
What happens if you take a professional snowboarder (William Hughes), cover him in L.E.D. lights, and send him out into the French Alps after dark with a video team? A mesmerizing short called L.E.D. Surfer by Jacob Sutton.
Sutton captures snaking turns, spraying snow, and pure white powder as the professional snowboarder cuts through the nighttime Alps in an L.E.D.-charged snowsuit.
A fashion photographer and filmmaker, Sutton swapped the studio for the slopes of Tignes in southeastern France for this luminous after hours short.
Sutton has worked with the likes of Hermès, Burberry and The New York Times, but spent three nights on a skidoo with a Red Epic camera at temperatures of -25C to snap Hughes carving through the deep snow.
Hughes' L.E.D.-enveloped suit comes courtesy of designer and electronics whizz John Spacher.
"I was really drawn to the idea of a lone character made of light surfing through darkness," Sutton told luxury storytelling site Nowness of his costume choice. "I've always been excited by unusual ways of lighting things, so it seemed like an exciting idea to make the subject of the film the only light source."
Spacher said the suit took about 300 man hours to make.
Hughes called the stunt a once in a lifetime challenge.
"Filming in the suit was the most surreal thing I've done in 20 years of snowboarding," he said. "Luckily there was plenty of vin rouge to keep me warm, and Jacob's enthusiasm kept everyone going through the cold nights."
Sutton chose a snowboarder instead of a skier because he wanted him to feel like the silver surfer.
What do you think? Check out the L.E.D. surfer below:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Update: 4 Feature Upgrades That Really Matter