LED Surfer Mixes Snowboarding, Fashion & High Art [VIDEO]
By M. Johanson | February 18, 2012 5:37 AM EST
What happens if you take a professional snowboarder (William Hughes), cover him in L.E.D. lights, and send him out into the French Alps after dark with a video team? A mesmerizing short called L.E.D. Surfer by Jacob Sutton.
Sutton captures snaking turns, spraying snow, and pure white powder as the professional snowboarder cuts through the nighttime Alps in an L.E.D.-charged snowsuit.
A fashion photographer and filmmaker, Sutton swapped the studio for the slopes of Tignes in southeastern France for this luminous after hours short.
Sutton has worked with the likes of Hermès, Burberry and The New York Times, but spent three nights on a skidoo with a Red Epic camera at temperatures of -25C to snap Hughes carving through the deep snow.
Hughes' L.E.D.-enveloped suit comes courtesy of designer and electronics whizz John Spacher.
"I was really drawn to the idea of a lone character made of light surfing through darkness," Sutton told luxury storytelling site Nowness of his costume choice. "I've always been excited by unusual ways of lighting things, so it seemed like an exciting idea to make the subject of the film the only light source."
Spacher said the suit took about 300 man hours to make.
Hughes called the stunt a once in a lifetime challenge.
"Filming in the suit was the most surreal thing I've done in 20 years of snowboarding," he said. "Luckily there was plenty of vin rouge to keep me warm, and Jacob's enthusiasm kept everyone going through the cold nights."
Sutton chose a snowboarder instead of a skier because he wanted him to feel like the silver surfer.
What do you think? Check out the L.E.D. surfer below:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- Obama’s Bid To Blame Intelligence Chief For Inaction On ISIS Backfires: McCain Asks Obama To Admit Own Mistakes