LED Surfer Mixes Snowboarding, Fashion & High Art [VIDEO]
By M. Johanson | February 18, 2012 5:37 AM EST
What happens if you take a professional snowboarder (William Hughes), cover him in L.E.D. lights, and send him out into the French Alps after dark with a video team? A mesmerizing short called L.E.D. Surfer by Jacob Sutton.
Sutton captures snaking turns, spraying snow, and pure white powder as the professional snowboarder cuts through the nighttime Alps in an L.E.D.-charged snowsuit.
A fashion photographer and filmmaker, Sutton swapped the studio for the slopes of Tignes in southeastern France for this luminous after hours short.
Sutton has worked with the likes of Hermès, Burberry and The New York Times, but spent three nights on a skidoo with a Red Epic camera at temperatures of -25C to snap Hughes carving through the deep snow.
Hughes' L.E.D.-enveloped suit comes courtesy of designer and electronics whizz John Spacher.
"I was really drawn to the idea of a lone character made of light surfing through darkness," Sutton told luxury storytelling site Nowness of his costume choice. "I've always been excited by unusual ways of lighting things, so it seemed like an exciting idea to make the subject of the film the only light source."
Spacher said the suit took about 300 man hours to make.
Hughes called the stunt a once in a lifetime challenge.
"Filming in the suit was the most surreal thing I've done in 20 years of snowboarding," he said. "Luckily there was plenty of vin rouge to keep me warm, and Jacob's enthusiasm kept everyone going through the cold nights."
Sutton chose a snowboarder instead of a skier because he wanted him to feel like the silver surfer.
What do you think? Check out the L.E.D. surfer below:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Russia Floats Another Ridiculous Conspiracy Theory that MH 370 & 17 Is One Jet Which U.S. Military Arranged to Be Blown Up Over Ukraine
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Russians Feel Glut Over Steady Diet of Conspiracy Theories on Downed Jet
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17 Conspiracy Theory: CIA and Ukraine Together ‘Orchestrated’ Boeing 777’s Shot Down; Russian Media Accuses the U.S.- Report
- MH17 Becomes Collateral Damage from Rebels’ Blunder and Media Manipulation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales