Team GB Off To Good Start As Murray Targets Third Title
By Vanessa Keller | February 14, 2012 2:15 AM EST
Great Britain have defeated Slovakia in the first round of the Davis Cup, with Dan Evans winning the decider as team GB won the match 3-2.
James Ward lost 6-7 (9-11) 1-6 3-6 to Lukas Lacko, setting the score at 2-2 for the Europe/Africa Group I tie. And Evans faced Martin Klizan, who is currently ranked 156 places higher than the Brit, and had a tough task set out to keep the team on track without Andy Murray.
And Evans was able to come through, winning 6-1 6-1 4-6 3-6 6-3.
Team captain Leon Smith said that everyone contributed to the win, telling the BBC: "While Dan is the hero of this tie, it's about the group. I am so proud of the boys and backroom staff."
Evans also chimed in: "I've never been on a team that's been as loud as that just behind the court and that helped a lot. Davis Cup's different, everybody unites together in situations like that."
Meanwhile, Murray hasn't been taking part in the Davis Cup just yet, as he prepares for a particularly busy season. The Scotsman has his own goals in mind at the moment, with a third Aegon Championships title at Queen's Club in June firmly in sight.
"It's a big deal and I'd love to win it again this year," he said.
"I'm excited to be going back to Queen's Club. It's a great tournament and the grass courts are as good as anywhere in the world, so it's the perfect preparation for Wimbledon.
"There's always a great atmosphere and having won the trophy twice previously, I have nothing but good memories."
The Aegon Championships will take place just before Wimbledon, before the London 2012 Olympics kick off in July.
Meanwhile, despite the competition for selection for the Davis Cup, Smith says he would happily welcome Murray back to the team with open arms if he can fit the tournament into his busy schedule.
"We would welcome him back at any time," he said. "But we want selection issues for the other places."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’