Team GB Off To Good Start As Murray Targets Third Title
By Vanessa Keller | February 14, 2012 2:15 AM EST
Great Britain have defeated Slovakia in the first round of the Davis Cup, with Dan Evans winning the decider as team GB won the match 3-2.
James Ward lost 6-7 (9-11) 1-6 3-6 to Lukas Lacko, setting the score at 2-2 for the Europe/Africa Group I tie. And Evans faced Martin Klizan, who is currently ranked 156 places higher than the Brit, and had a tough task set out to keep the team on track without Andy Murray.
And Evans was able to come through, winning 6-1 6-1 4-6 3-6 6-3.
Team captain Leon Smith said that everyone contributed to the win, telling the BBC: "While Dan is the hero of this tie, it's about the group. I am so proud of the boys and backroom staff."
Evans also chimed in: "I've never been on a team that's been as loud as that just behind the court and that helped a lot. Davis Cup's different, everybody unites together in situations like that."
Meanwhile, Murray hasn't been taking part in the Davis Cup just yet, as he prepares for a particularly busy season. The Scotsman has his own goals in mind at the moment, with a third Aegon Championships title at Queen's Club in June firmly in sight.
"It's a big deal and I'd love to win it again this year," he said.
"I'm excited to be going back to Queen's Club. It's a great tournament and the grass courts are as good as anywhere in the world, so it's the perfect preparation for Wimbledon.
"There's always a great atmosphere and having won the trophy twice previously, I have nothing but good memories."
The Aegon Championships will take place just before Wimbledon, before the London 2012 Olympics kick off in July.
Meanwhile, despite the competition for selection for the Davis Cup, Smith says he would happily welcome Murray back to the team with open arms if he can fit the tournament into his busy schedule.
"We would welcome him back at any time," he said. "But we want selection issues for the other places."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon