Team GB Off To Good Start As Murray Targets Third Title
By Vanessa Keller | February 14, 2012 2:15 AM EST
Great Britain have defeated Slovakia in the first round of the Davis Cup, with Dan Evans winning the decider as team GB won the match 3-2.
James Ward lost 6-7 (9-11) 1-6 3-6 to Lukas Lacko, setting the score at 2-2 for the Europe/Africa Group I tie. And Evans faced Martin Klizan, who is currently ranked 156 places higher than the Brit, and had a tough task set out to keep the team on track without Andy Murray.
And Evans was able to come through, winning 6-1 6-1 4-6 3-6 6-3.
Team captain Leon Smith said that everyone contributed to the win, telling the BBC: "While Dan is the hero of this tie, it's about the group. I am so proud of the boys and backroom staff."
Evans also chimed in: "I've never been on a team that's been as loud as that just behind the court and that helped a lot. Davis Cup's different, everybody unites together in situations like that."
Meanwhile, Murray hasn't been taking part in the Davis Cup just yet, as he prepares for a particularly busy season. The Scotsman has his own goals in mind at the moment, with a third Aegon Championships title at Queen's Club in June firmly in sight.
"It's a big deal and I'd love to win it again this year," he said.
"I'm excited to be going back to Queen's Club. It's a great tournament and the grass courts are as good as anywhere in the world, so it's the perfect preparation for Wimbledon.
"There's always a great atmosphere and having won the trophy twice previously, I have nothing but good memories."
The Aegon Championships will take place just before Wimbledon, before the London 2012 Olympics kick off in July.
Meanwhile, despite the competition for selection for the Davis Cup, Smith says he would happily welcome Murray back to the team with open arms if he can fit the tournament into his busy schedule.
"We would welcome him back at any time," he said. "But we want selection issues for the other places."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Guardiola Mockingly States That Man Utd Does Not Have The Means To Acquire Bayern Munich Players
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Superfight Won’t Happen Because Floyd Is Scared Of Left-Handed Boxers, Pacman - Bob Arum
- Serena Williams Shows Off Her Bikini Body With Eva Longoria At The Miami Beach After US Open Victory
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone