Team GB Off To Good Start As Murray Targets Third Title
By Vanessa Keller | February 14, 2012 2:15 AM EST
Great Britain have defeated Slovakia in the first round of the Davis Cup, with Dan Evans winning the decider as team GB won the match 3-2.
James Ward lost 6-7 (9-11) 1-6 3-6 to Lukas Lacko, setting the score at 2-2 for the Europe/Africa Group I tie. And Evans faced Martin Klizan, who is currently ranked 156 places higher than the Brit, and had a tough task set out to keep the team on track without Andy Murray.
And Evans was able to come through, winning 6-1 6-1 4-6 3-6 6-3.
Team captain Leon Smith said that everyone contributed to the win, telling the BBC: "While Dan is the hero of this tie, it's about the group. I am so proud of the boys and backroom staff."
Evans also chimed in: "I've never been on a team that's been as loud as that just behind the court and that helped a lot. Davis Cup's different, everybody unites together in situations like that."
Meanwhile, Murray hasn't been taking part in the Davis Cup just yet, as he prepares for a particularly busy season. The Scotsman has his own goals in mind at the moment, with a third Aegon Championships title at Queen's Club in June firmly in sight.
"It's a big deal and I'd love to win it again this year," he said.
"I'm excited to be going back to Queen's Club. It's a great tournament and the grass courts are as good as anywhere in the world, so it's the perfect preparation for Wimbledon.
"There's always a great atmosphere and having won the trophy twice previously, I have nothing but good memories."
The Aegon Championships will take place just before Wimbledon, before the London 2012 Olympics kick off in July.
Meanwhile, despite the competition for selection for the Davis Cup, Smith says he would happily welcome Murray back to the team with open arms if he can fit the tournament into his busy schedule.
"We would welcome him back at any time," he said. "But we want selection issues for the other places."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft