Team GB Off To Good Start As Murray Targets Third Title
By Vanessa Keller | February 14, 2012 2:15 AM EST
Great Britain have defeated Slovakia in the first round of the Davis Cup, with Dan Evans winning the decider as team GB won the match 3-2.
James Ward lost 6-7 (9-11) 1-6 3-6 to Lukas Lacko, setting the score at 2-2 for the Europe/Africa Group I tie. And Evans faced Martin Klizan, who is currently ranked 156 places higher than the Brit, and had a tough task set out to keep the team on track without Andy Murray.
And Evans was able to come through, winning 6-1 6-1 4-6 3-6 6-3.
Team captain Leon Smith said that everyone contributed to the win, telling the BBC: "While Dan is the hero of this tie, it's about the group. I am so proud of the boys and backroom staff."
Evans also chimed in: "I've never been on a team that's been as loud as that just behind the court and that helped a lot. Davis Cup's different, everybody unites together in situations like that."
Meanwhile, Murray hasn't been taking part in the Davis Cup just yet, as he prepares for a particularly busy season. The Scotsman has his own goals in mind at the moment, with a third Aegon Championships title at Queen's Club in June firmly in sight.
"It's a big deal and I'd love to win it again this year," he said.
"I'm excited to be going back to Queen's Club. It's a great tournament and the grass courts are as good as anywhere in the world, so it's the perfect preparation for Wimbledon.
"There's always a great atmosphere and having won the trophy twice previously, I have nothing but good memories."
The Aegon Championships will take place just before Wimbledon, before the London 2012 Olympics kick off in July.
Meanwhile, despite the competition for selection for the Davis Cup, Smith says he would happily welcome Murray back to the team with open arms if he can fit the tournament into his busy schedule.
"We would welcome him back at any time," he said. "But we want selection issues for the other places."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Wants To Talk To Manny Pacquiao About Super Fight If Filipino Beats Chris Algieri
- WWE Update: Bray Wyatt’s Twitter Post Hints Upcoming Fight With Sting [VIDEO]
- Rafael Nadal Gives Li Na Flowers, A Teary Farewell At Beijing China Open
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Samsung Aware Of Gap Issue On Galaxy Note 4, Mentions It As Important Manufacturing Feature In Note 4 User Manual
- 3 Signs Nexus 6, 8 Release Date Nears: Leaked Pics, KitKat Factory Image & Android L Details Emerge
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money